Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#36264 by Sylvia Hayes
Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:42 pm
I am asking this question for my son in Oregon. He is still with a dial up connection and only uses broadband at work as does his girlfriend. They are thinking of going to broadband at home and he was interested in Ooma when we told him we were going to it. He has not decided if he will go to DSL or cable. My question is, which has more advantages, DSL or Cable, or is there no real difference on ease of set up or how each works? They possibly would be interested in the premier package.
#36269 by tommies
Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:08 pm
It depends on location.

At my house, DSL is only capable of 1.5Mb down/256Kb up, but cable/Comcast is terrible. On my next door neighbor, it's reverse. So inferring from the neighbor's experiences is not reliable as one may think.

In my situation, the problem lies with the cable(20+ year old/same age with the house) from the tap into the house, and Comcast refuses to replace it as my request. So this will not affect newly build house/appartment(<5yrs)

On DSL side, it's all depended on the distance from the house to the CO, the shorter the distance the better the quality and speed.
#36274 by Gaelic1
Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:23 pm
I live up in the mountains at least 20 miles from a small city. I have AT&T DSL at 3Mb. I have tested the flow at around 2.7 -2.8 consistently. This has operated my Ooma hub and Scout as well as two Mac computers and the new Telo hub with no problems. I got rid of cable TV due to it's lack of reliability in my area. I never considered a cable modem for the same reason. I hope this will help in your decision. :D
#36277 by Groundhound
Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:33 pm
Generally cable is faster than DSL, but speed is not the most important factor for VoIP like Ooma, there are other quality parameters that are more important that your son should learn about. As tommies stated, which one is the best choice depends on location - for me cable was the better service. Which one is the best choice can differ from house to house; all ISP quality is local - very local.
#36295 by Sylvia Hayes
Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:09 pm
I guess he will have to talk with others where he lives and get some feed back. I just thought since he can make the choice there might be something for one over the other. I don't think DSL is available where I am, I got put on cable where I am and feel pretty confident with it, but this was after several years in a rural area where we got stuck with Direcway Satellite, talk about a joke. I am with Earthlink, by way of Brighthouse here in a suburb of Detroit. Thanks for all your responses.
#36618 by koala
Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:59 am
Sylvia Hayes wrote:I guess he will have to talk with others where he lives and get some feed back. I just thought since he can make the choice there might be something for one over the other. I don't think DSL is available where I am, I got put on cable where I am and feel pretty confident with it, but this was after several years in a rural area where we got stuck with Direcway Satellite, talk about a joke. I am with Earthlink, by way of Brighthouse here in a suburb of Detroit. Thanks for all your responses.

One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of the problems that are posted here have to do with people using it with DSL. That is NOT to say that it can't or won't work with DSL--it does quite frequently. I just think that in general cable is a better option.

Where I live the only broadband available used to be StarBand (another satellite internet company)...that was terrible! No matter what you choose you'll be better than if you used satellite!