Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#35940 by whorton13
Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:29 pm
Here is a thought an iPhone app to connect to "My Ooma" to allow ability to listen to messages left on answering machine.

Thanks :P
#35984 by dsinternet
Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:57 am
whorton13 wrote:Here is a thought an iPhone app to connect to "My Ooma" to allow ability to listen to messages left on answering machine.

Thanks :P


I have an iPod Touch. This would be wonderful. Access to my voice mail anytime I am in a hot spot. Great idea Whorton13
#36036 by scoutconnor
Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:57 pm
This has been discussed several times before. At one point Ooma *was* working on it. I do not know of a timeline anymore but they had it on their plate at one point.
As someone who has an iPod Touch as well, I am in the same boat as you :)
#36213 by ggilman
Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:23 am
Yeah, on their blog they posted they were planning apps for Blackberry & iPhone but no word since then and that was October... I had started groundwork on an iPhone version but abandoned the work with the announcement figuring they'd have something out as soon as I finished mine.

It's not really worth the trouble to write one without knowing the status of what they are doing... maybe I'll work on an Android version. They haven't said anything about writing one for that.
#36733 by The Picard
Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:42 am
ggilman wrote:Yeah, on their blog they posted they were planning apps for Blackberry & iPhone but no word since then and that was October... I had started groundwork on an iPhone version but abandoned the work with the announcement figuring they'd have something out as soon as I finished mine.

It's not really worth the trouble to write one without knowing the status of what they are doing... maybe I'll work on an Android version. They haven't said anything about writing one for that.

Judging by Ooma's ability to meet their release dates for firmware updates, I highly doubt that they'll be releasing an app any time soon. My suggestion would be to go ahead with your own development.
#36811 by BobB
Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:33 pm
I like the idea too. After it is written, Apple would have to approve it. I wonder if they (Apple) would consider it being a conflict of interest with ATT their phone provider.

Apple won't approve Googles (Free) new GPS sytem w/ spoken turns for the iPhone. The android phones can use it.

Just a thought,
Bob
#36813 by costanzo98031
Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:53 pm
BobB wrote:Apple won't approve Googles (Free) new GPS sytem w/ spoken turns for the iPhone. The android phones can use it.


Yeah, Apple has been in the news lately for not approving apps. I am a registered iphone developer and been waiting to see when they will update the developer licence agreement to allow VoIP services on mobile connections. I want to use Skype over 3G and Google Voice.

I think Ooma could develop a mobile safari web app that is custom for the iPhone interface that could allow you to change account settings, view logs, but the trick would be playing voicemail.
#37326 by ggilman
Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:30 am
BobB wrote:I like the idea too. After it is written, Apple would have to approve it. I wonder if they (Apple) would consider it being a conflict of interest with ATT their phone provider.

Apple won't approve Googles (Free) new GPS sytem w/ spoken turns for the iPhone. The android phones can use it.

Just a thought,
Bob

Apple's approval process is a pain. I have 10 apps on their store now and a couple of them I had to go through several revisions before they would accept, for things as simple as one word I used in the description.

Even when everything goes smoothly, it takes around 2 weeks for an app to be published, even if it is just a minor bug fix. I can release Android apps within seconds.

From my experience, I doubt Apple would particularly care about a conflict with AT&T and Ooma, assuming the app just allows you to listen to your voice messages. If it allowed VOIP over your phone, that'd be a different issue... but nobody outside of Ooma could do that. Without Ooma's support, the best a developer could do is to provide a native display for what you see on Ooma's web pages.

Though I don't think they'd care, until something is submitted though, only Apple knows. It's a big development risk. Oh, and if Ooma doesn't like their name being associated with your app, you'll never get it published. They just say the word to Apple, and it's over. That's a game ender.
#38385 by amoney
Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:05 pm
Perhaps I am missing somehting but...

You can already "phone home" and check messages or email yourself the voice messages.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests