Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#35863 by rickeagle
Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:19 am
I love my new OOMA phone service purchased through Costco.com and will recommend it to my friends and family.

The only gripe I have is the excessive amount of packaging it was shipped in. As the photo shows, the OOMA Scout in the lower right gives some scale to the huge amount of packaging versus the size of the product. The OOMA Hub is equally small in comparison.

OOMA packaging 005.jpg
Excessive packaging perhaps?
OOMA packaging 005.jpg (208.19 KiB) Viewed 1097 times
The outer box, I understand, needs to be flashy for sales. I do not agree that the interior packaging needs to be so wasteful; petroleum based plastic clamshell packs and heavy cardboard boxing. The user manuals could just as easily be on compact disc.

Why not a compostable clamshell? I want to believe your concern for the environment is as great as your concern for relieving my fellow OOMA customers from monthly phone bills.

Another possibility is returning the packaging (postage paid or credit for some service) so it can be re-used. Xerox Corp. does it for printing cartridges and packages, why not OOMA? Does anyone else have any ideas.

Social responsibility can be a good selling point as well.

Thanks for a great product none the less.

Rick
#35868 by southsound
Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:00 am
rickeagle wrote:I love my new OOMA phone service purchased through Costco.com and will recommend it to my friends and family.

The only gripe I have is the excessive amount of packaging it was shipped in. As the photo shows, the OOMA Scout in the lower right gives some scale to the huge amount of packaging versus the size of the product. The OOMA Hub is equally small in comparison.

The outer box, I understand, needs to be flashy for sales. I do not agree that the interior packaging needs to be so wasteful; petroleum based plastic clamshell packs and heavy cardboard boxing. The user manuals could just as easily be on compact disc.

Why not a compostable clamshell? I want to believe your concern for the environment is as great as your concern for relieving my fellow OOMA customers from monthly phone bills.

Another possibility is returning the packaging (postage paid or credit for some service) so it can be re-used. Xerox Corp. does it for printing cartridges and packages, why not OOMA? Does anyone else have any ideas.

Social responsibility can be a good selling point as well.

Thanks for a great product none the less.

Rick

If you look at the amount of non-recyclable packaging you will find that it is almost none. No foam, very little plastic. I think that ooma has done a great job in protecting our environment. The product you have shown is the "core" system. It includes both the scout and the hub. Both are packaged in their "standalone" package and inserted into a larger box to make up the core package. This type of packaging keeps the cost of the package down for all of us. As far as the boxes, I find them attractive enough to use for packaging my Christmas gifts. But would I be tempted to buy a $250 product in a "used" box? I think not. Maybe a toner cart or a drum that a technician will install and take the packing away, but not a new, "optional" purchase.

ooma did make some substantial changes with the Telo. The simple box and it's colorful sleeve have only one small piece of cardboard and an injected tray for protective packaging. I am sure that they are learning as the go along. :cool:
#35871 by Groundhound
Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:35 am
I'll add that I prefer a printed manual in this case, because when moving around connecting wires and referring to diagrams, I find printed media more user friendly. For those who want the electronic version Ooma has them on their website.