Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#35856 by jbrawn
Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:38 am
It has taken two calls to customer service, but I think I finally have a general idea of the two choices about landline integration that I had to select between while essentially blind during the sign up process for ooma.

Choice 1: "No landline". In this mode the ooma telo ignores the "wall" jack and never uses it for incoming or outgoing calls. There is no backup for power fail, or for loss of internet connectivity (contrary to the marketing text on the website.)

Choice 2: "Use your landline". In this mode the ooma telo uses the land line for all incoming calls. Outbound calls are handled by ooma using VoIP (using the landline number for caller-ID). Services on incoming calls are limited to whatever the landline can support (caller-ID, call waiting, etc.) You are essentially ONLY using ooma service for outbound calls.

Here is how I want it to work:
New Choice 3: "Use landline only for backup". Ooma has it's own phone number. All outbound calls are sent via ooma VoIP and display the ooma number in Caller-ID. Inbound calls to that number are routed to you via ooma VoIP. Inbound calls on the landline are ingored. (Optionally, inbound landline calls are connected through the telo to the first available ooma line.)

During power failure or loss of internet connectivity (defined by ooma telo not being able to reach the ooma service for some reasonably small period of time like 30 seconds or 60 seconds) the ooma telo goes into a "bridge mode" where the phone jack and wall jack are directly connected. In this condition, inbound landline calls ring through to the phone jack, and outbound calls are routed to the landline.

To help understand this request, let me describe my setup. I have a landline with a phone number I've had for 19 years. I don't want to lose that phone number, and I don't want to transfer it to ooma yet. I have it plugged into the wall jack on the ooma telo.

I have the landline configured to call forward all calls to my ooma number. When someone calls my landline number, their call is forwarded to my ooma number, and is delivered to my house via VoIP. This allows me to take advantage of ooma's dual line capability for inbound calls, and makes all the other ooma services available (caller-ID, logging, voice mail, etc.) All my outbound calls are handled by ooma's VoIP service. I am configured for no landline integration.

However, during a power failure or internet failure, I am unable to use any of my phones (those connected to the telo phone jack or the telo handsets.)

I realize that bridging the wall jack and the phone jack on power fail probably requires a hardware update, but I'll gladly buy a new telo to get this functionality.

Best Regards,

John
#35869 by southsound
Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:12 am
I have a landline that is not integrated and both the hub and the Telo. The hub works almost the way you describe in choice 3. Several of our forum members have set up their hub system as a standalone system (choice 2) but if you plug in a landline to the wall port, if the power fails there is a relay in the hub that connects the phone and wall ports so a corded phone will work as a backup. It does nothing in the event of Internet outage.

In our home, I have several corded phones connected to our landline for emergencies. One in the bedroom, one in the kitchen, another in the laundry. We live in the Northwest so it is not unusual to have the power go out several times throughout the winter. Our DSL is not backup up by the utility so during those outages it is great to be able to use the corded phones to notify the utility, make calls to check on friends, etc. We normally never use those corded phones when the power in on - with 15 cordless phones in the house, we just don't like to be tied down.

And lest we forget, welcome to ooma and to the forums! :cool:
#35870 by WayneDsr
Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:15 am
I just tested this to make sure, but with my Telo and intetrated landline I am able pull the cat 5 cable out of the Telo, so there is no internet connection (network down). When the Telo is blinking red I am able to get dial tone from my landline connection. I no longer hear the ooma dialtone once the Telo goes red. I can make calls and receive calls as long as someone is using my landline number.
The only time it does not work, is if I have a power outage. Once the Telo goes dead, it will not transfer to landline.

This was not the case with the old core unit, the Ooma hub. The hub would also transfer a call to landline even on power outage. From what I understand, there are so few people using landline anymore that they removed the circuit in order to save money on production costs, since most do not use landline. Which I think is a fair deal.

Wayne
#35872 by jbrawn
Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:40 am
WayneDsr wrote:I just tested this to make sure, but with my Telo and intetrated landline I am able pull the cat 5 cable out of the Telo, so there is no internet connection (network down). When the Telo is blinking red I am able to get dial tone from my landline connection. I no longer hear the ooma dialtone once the Telo goes red. I can make calls and receive calls as long as someone is using my landline number.
The only time it does not work, is if I have a power outage. Once the Telo goes dead, it will not transfer to landline.

This was not the case with the old core unit, the Ooma hub. The hub would also transfer a call to landline even on power outage. From what I understand, there are so few people using landline anymore that they removed the circuit in order to save money on production costs, since most do not use landline. Which I think is a fair deal.

I understand that is true, but I prefer to not "integrate" my landline because I want incoming calls to go through the VoIP process (and get all the benefits of ooma handling the calls.)

John.
#41231 by McKayCR
Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:33 pm
I just got my Ooma today. I was a little disappointed to see that your choice for landline integration could not be changed by logging into the telo and changing a few settings, but instead by waiting on hold for 25 minutes.

If I could make a suggestion to the integrated landline feature, allow incoming calls from the landline, even though my primary number is the ooma number. All outgoing calls default through the ooma line, but I can receive inbound calls from both ooma and the landline.

I should also be able to log into the telo and change which line is my default outbound line too(ooma, or landline). That just seems like common sense.

Other then that, I love my ooma, its freakin sweet.