can you switch to a dfferent Ooma number?

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
Sylvia Hayes

can you switch to a dfferent Ooma number?

Post by Sylvia Hayes » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:03 pm

What I mean is if you have been using Ooma for a while with Premier and your original number being ported, and down the road you want a different Ooma number, can you get it? Not adding another number just changing the Ooma number you started with?
slhayes

southsound

Re: can you switch to a dfferent Ooma number?

Post by southsound » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:22 pm

Yes. There might be a slight one time charge, but I changed my number several times back in February (from a Shelton, WA number to a Beverly Hills, CA number) and there was no charge for the change. I was trying to avoid an echo problem so that may have been why there was no charge but I can't imagine it costing more that $10 or so.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

jmassimilla

Post by jmassimilla » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:21 am

southsound wrote:Yes. There might be a slight one time charge, but I changed my number several times back in February (from a Shelton, WA number to a Beverly Hills, CA number) and there was no charge for the change. I was trying to avoid an echo problem so that may have been why there was no charge but I can't imagine it costing more that $10 or so.
Yes. I seem to remember the last time I saw it mentioned in the forums by a mod, the cost was about $11.95.

Sylvia Hayes

Post by Sylvia Hayes » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:46 am

Thank for the input. I am just wondering about one son who lives in Oregon and we live in Michigan. We had unlimited with AT&T, but when he calls we just hang up and call him back. Believe it or not he is still using dial up, but talking about broadband, and I am telling him about Ooma, but will have to wait and see how it all works. If he goes to Ooma down the road it won't matter so I don't know how soon I would change my number or not.
slhayes

southsound

Post by southsound » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:53 am

Sylvia Hayes wrote:Thank for the input. I am just wondering about one son who lives in Oregon and we live in Michigan. We had unlimited with AT&T, but when he calls we just hang up and call him back. Believe it or not he is still using dial up, but talking about broadband, and I am telling him about Ooma, but will have to wait and see how it all works. If he goes to Ooma down the road it won't matter so I don't know how soon I would change my number or not.
You could also get a Google Voice account with a local Oregon number that would forward to your phone in Michigan. He could also use it to make free calls by dialing in, pressing *, entering the pin, pressing 2 to make a call, then calling anywhere in the US for free.

I have a friend who has a Tacoma, WA number on his company provided cell phone. He is able to use the phone for personal use - but the number is long distance from Shelton, WA. He is one of the associate leaders in our 12-step recovery group and is a great support to other men. Many of the folks who needed to call him don't have long distance so we got him a local Shelton number (cool because the number is his first name and last initial - friends of Bill will understand this). A person can call the Shelton number and it rings his Tacoma cell phone. No muss, no fuss. And this person does not even have a computer. We did it all from this end. :cool:
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

Sylvia Hayes

Post by Sylvia Hayes » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:31 pm

You could also get a Google Voice account with a local Oregon number that would forward to your phone in Michigan. He could also use it to make free calls by dialing in, pressing *, entering the pin, pressing 2 to make a call, then calling anywhere in the US for free.

I have a friend who has a Tacoma, WA number on his company provided cell phone. He is able to use the phone for personal use - but the number is long distance from Shelton, WA. He is one of the associate leaders in our 12-step recovery group and is a great support to other men. Many of the folks who needed to call him don't have long distance so we got him a local Shelton number (cool because the number is his first name and last initial - friends of Bill will understand this). A person can call the Shelton number and it rings his Tacoma cell phone. No muss, no fuss. And this person does not even have a computer. We did it all from this end.
Sounds interesting. I think I may try it with a brother who has time to play around before I have my son try it.
slhayes