Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#42376 by bohicaIL
Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:45 am
Of course, the technician showed up in the morning and everything was running fantastically at the time.

I've watched since then, and the times when loading occurs most (evening and weekends) causes the worst jitter and QOS. I'm wondering if movie and video streaming (netflix, etc) causes this to degrade? The technician did allude to someone who was a bandwidth hog, but was not allowed to be more candid.
#42449 by amoney
Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:31 pm
What is your modem?

I was also thinking a bad line, do you have lots of splitters, is your modem on the same cable line as your tv. Do you have RG6 or RG59 cable (thick or thin) etc.

If your modem is old i would also suspect that. You'll save rental money if you buy your own.
#42869 by bohicaIL
Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:39 am
One splitter, separating internet feed from video cable. Modem is a recent purchase Motorola Surfboard. I've also switched modems (I have an older Linksys one), and this makes no difference either. I have the Ooma device connected directly to the modem, with router after the Ooma device.

I've had Vonage on a mediacom cable internet platform for about 3 years now, but since about November the outbound voice has been very broken- people would often say they couldn't understand me. I've since added an Ooma Hub, then replaced it with an Ooma Telo, only to find I still have complaints about broken voice.

I've run several voip internet quality measurements, and they tell me that my connection often has a lot of jitter and the QOS is also often low. Of course, the broken voice follows those periods. Initially I thought I had a physical outside cable problem, but now I'm thinking this is just due to loading, streaming, and other high usage periods.

Now after all this preamble, here's my issue... I've got 4 neighbors (actually just people within the subdivision) who all have the cable company, Mediacom's voip service, and they have no broken speech complaints. Is it possible the Mediacom ATAs use a different codec? (I have another neighbor who also has Vonage, and he complains of the same issue that I have.)

Later this week I plan to take my Ooma box over to one of my neighbors who has Mediacom's service, measure the jitter and QOS there, and also try the boxes side-by-side to hear how they handle the cable's quality.

Any insight?
#42885 by Groundhound
Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:35 am
bohicaIL wrote:Now after all this preamble, here's my issue... I've got 4 neighbors (actually just people within the subdivision) who all have the cable company, Mediacom's voip service, and they have no broken speech complaints. Is it possible the Mediacom ATAs use a different codec? (I have another neighbor who also has Vonage, and he complains of the same issue that I have.

More likely has to do with a different route rather than a different codec. Comcast does it that way, so their phone traffic is not subjected to the same variables as their Internet traffic.

Ooma's soon-to-be-released "Pure Voice" should help situations like yours:
Ooma Pure Voice™
Ooma raises the bar on voice quality again with the introduction of Ooma Pure Voice. Ooma now brings to the home the data redundancy sophistication normally found in industrial-grade Internet telephony products. With the explosion of bandwidth usage in the home for video streaming, photo uploads and real-time gaming, Ooma Pure Voice ensures crystal clear conversations over congested networks while maintaining low-bandwidth requirements.
#42903 by bohicaIL
Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:35 am
So when is "Ooma Pure Voice" scheduled to be rolled out, and how will I know when it's upgraded my Telo?

With the level of broken speech I have in the outbound direction right now, Ooma (and Vonage) are both essentially unusable except as a phone line to give out publicly when required to supply a phone number (merchants, charities, etc.). (Don't want to give out my cell number.)
#43181 by calkid4ever
Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:23 pm
VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 1.4 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 4.5 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 1717984 bps
Upload speed: 309776 bps
Download quality of service: 63 %
Upload quality of service: 34 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 248 ms
Average download pause: 11 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 15 ms
Average round trip time to server: 17 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 31200000bps
Route concurrency: 18.160822
Download TCP forced idle: 5 %
Maximum route speed: 34952000bps

This was while I was using Telo to call OOMA customer service (complaining about failures of Telo today). I have Telo behind Linksys WRT54g router running Tomato (configured to give Telo highest priority).
#43192 by Soundjudgment
Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:47 pm
Download quality of service: 63 %
Upload quality of service: 34 %
Maximum TCP delay: 248 ms

Tsk.
#43400 by bohicaIL
Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:49 pm
bohicaIL wrote:Later this week I plan to take my Ooma box over to one of my neighbors who has Mediacom's service, measure the jitter and QOS there, and also try the boxes side-by-side to hear how they handle the cable's quality.

Yesterday I took my Telo over to one of my neighbors and hooked it up between his Mediacom combination ATA/modem and his router so we could compare Mediacom's voip service directly with Ooma's. While the clarity of sound was virtually identical, the outbound speech was often broken on the Ooma but not on the Mediacom service. Sooooo, perhaps what Groundhound has suggested here is the difference:
Groundhound wrote:More likely has to do with a different route rather than a different codec. Comcast does it that way, so their phone traffic is not subjected to the same variables as their Internet traffic.

Now I can't wait for "Pure Voice" to see if that solves my issue on this lousy quality access connection.