Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#33829 by franklasvegas
Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:58 am
Hello All:

I have Telo (not using Telo handset yet).

Have had since launch with only issue being the humming which has been worse this week.

Cox Cable Premium 12MBPS they claim to have just increased to 18MBPS in Vegas this week.

Cable Modem to Telo to LinkSys Router.

This morning I have had several calls claim I sound choppy "are you on a cell?" Also cutting in and out. Whether inbound or outbound same thing,

Nothing has changed on my end.

Anyone else and if not - any thoughts? :?:

Thanks!
#33831 by hpepper
Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:07 am
Run this test: http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html
and post your results back here in text format from the advanced tab - more info that might prove helpful.

EDIT: First read Goundhound's suggestion below - I forgot about the QOS Upload side problem...
Last edited by hpepper on Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
#33834 by Groundhound
Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:17 am
hpepper wrote:Run this test: http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html
and post your results back here in text format from the advanced tab - more info that might prove helpful.

With the Telo in front of the router and the current Telo software issue of upstream QoS being on even when a call is not in progress (Rev: 1.31387), the whichvoip test result for upstream quality will likely be bad. To eliminate this temporary issue, set the Telo's upstream QoS to "0" Kbps to run the test. Afterwords the setting should be returned to whatever level gives the best call quality, usually approximately 80% of the ISP's claimed sustained upload speed, but may need to be set lower if the connection is highly variable.
#40913 by bohicaIL
Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:39 pm
I just got an Ooma box this week, and unfortunately my cable ISP coupled with VOIP provides choppy outbound voice. (I also have Vonage service, and noticed this too with Vonage beginning about in November). While I hear great clarity from my end, people I talk with often say my voice dropped out or became so choppy they couldn't understand what I said.

The amount of clipping or dropped packets depends somewhat on the time of day I think (worse in the evening), which would make sense if it's traffic related. Thing is, I have PLENTY of bandwidth, at least most of the time.

My cable provider is Mediacom, and when I ask them to test my connections they tell me I have to contact my VOIP provider as as long as I have internet service their service is OK.

Can this be caused by weather affecting outside cable connections? As I mentioned, it began in November as it got colder.

I have the Ooma box between my modem and the router, so it can control QOS. I've also tried every setting combo in the Ooma web-based setup with minimal improvements. I've also swapped out modems and routers, for what that's worth, with no noticeable improvement.

I am truly at a loss as to what might cause this problem with VOIP while still give very good internet service. Interestingly, those with Mediacom's VOIP service have no complaints about voice quality, and I have a half-dozen neighbors with this service.

Below are the results of the advanced VOIP tests from this evening:
VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 44.1 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 4.4 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.7

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 1059840 bps
Upload speed: 888848 bps
Download quality of service: 6 %
Upload quality of service: 82 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 541 ms
Average download pause: 20 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 70 ms
Average round trip time to server: 79 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 28800000bps
Route concurrency: 27.173914
Download TCP forced idle: 77 %
Maximum route speed: 7489712bps
#40917 by murphy
Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:59 pm
Was that test run from a hardwired computer? The numbers are really poor.

Connect to http://192.168.100.1 and get the downstream and upstream power levels and the SNR from your modem.
#40924 by bohicaIL
Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:47 pm
Actually, the results were from a wireless N computer. I've now got it cabled directly into my router (which is still behind the Ooma box, however, if that matters). Here are the wired results, and below that are the results of the modem test:
VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 22.9 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 4.4 ms
Estimated MOS score: 3.8

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 4376912 bps
Upload speed: 565464 bps
Download quality of service: 44 %
Upload quality of service: 74 %
Maximum TCP delay: 212 ms
Average download pause: 5 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 78 ms
Average round trip time to server: 85 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 34400000bps
Route concurrency: 7.859422
Download TCP forced idle: 82 %
Maximum route speed: 6721536bps

Modem test: http://192.168.100.1

The Signal Page provides information about the connection between the Cable Modem and the cable company.

Downstream Value
Frequency 117000000 Hz
Signal To Noise Ratio 37.2 dB
Power Level 1.6 dBmV
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value
Channel ID 3
Frequency 29008000 Hz
Power 41.8 dBmV
#40927 by murphy
Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:09 pm
The modem signal levels are good.
The voip test is still not very good.
Can you run the test with a computer connected directly to the cable modem?
Power cycling of the cable modem will be necessary to make it forget the MAC address of the device that is currently connected to it.
#40950 by bohicaIL
Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:50 pm
Yes, here are the results when just connected to the modem. Of course it's late enough now too that network traffic should be lower, if that's relevant.

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 19.4 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.6 ms
Estimated MOS score: 3.8

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 2406576 bps
Upload speed: 859240 bps
Download quality of service: 80 %
Upload quality of service: 84 %
Maximum TCP delay: 205 ms
Average download pause: 8 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 85 ms
Average round trip time to server: 150 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 29600000bps
Route concurrency: 12.299632
Download TCP forced idle: 88 %
Maximum route speed: 6168000bps
#41069 by murphy
Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:19 pm
The upstream jitter is high and the Maximum TCP delay is high.
I don't have any ideas other than if you are renting the cable modem you could take it back and request a new one.
#41102 by bohicaIL
Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:00 pm
I was able to get a mediacom tech support guy to respond to an email (by telephone, customer support blew me off since my voip wasn't through them). He tested to my modem from his end and here's what he said:

"I have looked over your modem and for the most part signals look good. There have been a few instances where a signal has dropped off and could be something one of our technicians could diagnose. Most likely causes are bad coax cables or connectors up to the modem or possibly something outside. We have also seeing a potential issue on the card you are on which we have emailed local tech supervisors on so they can determine if what we see is an issue or if it is normal for network traffic in your area. One or both of these things could be attributing to your issues. I would recommend calling us at 877-387-8087 to schedule a technician out to take a look at the signal issue; I have noted your account with information. We are unable to give you an explanation if the network issue we are investigating is affecting your VOIP or estimated time of repair if that is the case as this is handled by local technicians in your area."

So since he noted a problem in my account info, I was able to schedule a technician to come out and test from my end. I'm banking on the outside cable connection or card, since I've changed everything inside including going back to an old modem. None of my inside remedies helped the choppy outgoing voice, though.

I'll post back after his visit, which is currently Thursday, 1-14-2010.

Thanks for all your help, and the tools you recommended are also particularly useful.