Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#32846 by oomaUser01
Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:15 pm
I found out that if someone is on line two (on the Scout) someone else can listen to that conversation by picking up a receiver on the Hub and presing the button for that line (which as that point is solid red) on the Hub. This is a BAD bug, I called OOMA Tech support regarding this, I was politely told "That is the way it works" (????)
#32851 by Groundhound
Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:30 pm
oomaUser01 wrote:I found out that if someone is on line two (on the Scout) someone else can listen to that conversation by picking up a receiver on the Hub and presing the button for that line (which as that point is solid red) on the Hub. This is a BAD bug, I called OOMA Tech support regarding this, I was politely told "That is the way it works" (????)

It is the way it works, of course that person must be in your house. If you purchase a second line from your local POTS company and don't make special wiring arraignments it is available to anyone in your house with a $1.95 line splitter. If you don't lock up your NID box outside anyone can listen in on your POTS calls too. So much to worry about. If you really want to make sure no sneaky family member is listening in then you need to isolate a separate Hub or Telo system for a truly private line that is VPN encrypted between you and Ooma's servers.
#32870 by doug
Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:04 am
oomaUser01 wrote:I found out that if someone is on line two (on the Scout) someone else can listen to that conversation by picking up a receiver on the Hub and presing the button for that line (which as that point is solid red) on the Hub. This is a BAD bug,

Why is the world would you call this a bug? It is the way every residential phone system I have EVER seen works. The only time that isn't the case in my experience is when a PBX has been involved. And even then there are ways to monitor calls intentionally. Remember, this is designed as a residential system. For most households, they WANT it to work this way so multiple family members can all get on the phone at once to say Hi to a family member who is away or the relative they only here from once in a blue moon.

By "call privacy" in the subject line are you referring to using *82 ahead of a call? That will temporarily disable sending outbound caller-id. It has nothing to do with how voice communications work, just like when using a POTS line.

In the ooma user guide for the hub, refer to page 10 about how to use the instant second line. Note in particular what it says under "Joining a Call (Party Line)":

The Instant Second Line feature enables you to place another call when the first line is in use. To join a call-in-progress on a different phone, simply press the active line button on an ooma device. You may also use the Flash button on your handset to switch to the call-in-progress. ...

As GroundHound notes, if the intent is to isolate a line where nobody else CAN pick up the call (perhaps a business line in a home office), then you don't necessarily want it on the same hub (or Telo) system. Consider instead a second system. For example, one in an office which does NOT hook back into the home wiring, and a second system used by the family and which is sent throughout the home. If you need the flexibility to answer that other line as you roam around the home, then consider making it a Telo system and carry a wireless handset with you.

Bottom line is that as a residential system, this is an intentional feature and not a bug.
#32963 by koala
Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:04 pm
doug wrote:By "call privacy" in the subject line are you referring to using *82 ahead of a call? That will temporarily disable sending outbound caller-id. It has nothing to do with how voice communications work, just like when using a POTS line.

Somewhat off-topic, but I think that *67 temporarily disables sending outbound caller id, while *82 temporarily enables it.
#36817 by oomaUser01
Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:59 pm
Is this is in fact "a feature" it should be something that the users can opt to turn on or off. This way if I do not want any other member of the household to interrupt a call I can turn the ability to barge-in on my phone call.