Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#31662 by robtcody
Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:50 am
Am I right in what I just read?

That if I want an answering machine on my Ooma line, I MUST get premier service because Ooma purposly blocks any tones going across the line once the call is connected. I tried it out and found it to be true!

When I call my Ooma line with my Vonage line, Ooma just plays clicks when Vonage sends tones (like a password to hear my messages). But if Ooma where to call my Vonage line, Vonage doesn't block Ooma which means Vonage will allow my home answering machine to be attached to my home phone line.

Is this correct or is this an Ooma bug that needs to get fixed ASAP?
#31663 by WayneDsr
Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:05 pm
If you have an ooma hub you will have voicemail. With Premier you will have enhanced voicemail. Tones cannot be passed using the ooma hub no matter what tier you choose.

If you own a Telo, the tones will eventually be passed. The Telo has the electronics to do so, it's just not working at the moment.

Wayne
#31746 by Davesworld
Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:57 am
Because of the convenience of voicemail reaching me by three different methods since using voip, four with Ooma (Push the Big Play Button), I purposely buy DECT phone systems that do NOT have a built in answering machine but have voicemail indicators. For some reason, the US market seems to be the only one where we are flooded with systems that shove a built in answering machine down our throats.

Two years ago I had to buy a Canadian version of what I wanted just to get one without the answering machine, thankfully the updated successor to it has a US non answering machine model base. I just can't see me ever calling my own number to retrieve messages like I did in the olden days. By doing so, one has to assume that your internet access has close to 100% uptime, there is no power outage, the house is not on fire, flooded, or the system itself is down for any reason or worse yet, the answering machine quit working.

The second I could get voicemail sent to my email as an attachment, my affair with answering machines was officially over like a bad marriage.

This is just my opinion, I could be wrong. :P
#31768 by WayneDsr
Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:13 am
The second I could get voicemail sent to my email as an attachment, my affair with answering machines was officially over like a bad marriage.

Along with FAX machines. Too many easier alternatives.

Wayne
#32405 by robtcody
Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:44 am
There are other devices one could put on a line besides anwering machines. Home monitoring systems, home automation (turns the heat on before getting home), etc. All these things need hear tones to work, but Ooma is blocking the tones and I hear no logical reason as to why Ooma would put such a restriction on their service.
#32430 by hpepper
Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:41 am
robtcody wrote:There are other devices one could put on a line besides anwering machines. Home monitoring systems, home automation (turns the heat on before getting home), etc. All these things need hear tones to work, but Ooma is blocking the tones and I hear no logical reason as to why Ooma would put such a restriction on their service.

Ooma has said many times in these forums they don't block them but have difficulty or are unable to pass them. I know it doesn't sound right, but that is what I have read over and over.

One more thing - do they still make home automation devices or systems that work with DTMF? I thought most of them are set up to work across the web? :?:
#32492 by denny
Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:11 pm
WayneDsr wrote:If you have an ooma hub you will have voicemail. With Premier you will have enhanced voicemail. Tones cannot be passed using the ooma hub no matter what tier you choose.

When I first got my ooma hub about a year ago, I used my own answering machine built into the attached phone for months without a problem. I've been using the ooma hub since then for VM, but it worked fine. Where did you hear that tones cannot be passed through the hub?
#32495 by southsound
Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:34 pm
denny wrote:Where did you hear that tones cannot be passed through the hub?

This has been verified by ooma on several ocasions. The problem is with hardware and contractual restrictions using the hub. The Telo has a completely different platform and although it currently does not pass incoming DTMF, we are told that it will in the future. Outgoing DTMF is no problem on either device. ooma doesn't strip the tones out to be mean - it is just that the codecs used mangle DTMF so badly that they are not usable. So there is a detection ciruit that mutes the audio during the tones. What is kind of interesting is that with the Telo the circuitry is so sensitive that sometimes a person with a certain vocal range will trip the circuit and it will mute their voice!

I have been using Google Voice as a front end to my ooma systems so neither my hub nor my Telo ever get messages. Since Google Voice is free and works well with ooma, it might be a good solution for person who wants some pretty neat features without a high cost.
#32496 by WayneDsr
Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:34 pm
Right now, inbound DTMF doesn't work on the Hub due to a limitation with a proprietary hardware component/driver.

We are planning to support inbound DTMF on the Ooma Telo, since the device is not limited by this proprietary component.

Quote from Bobby B. ooma moderator.

Wayne