Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#31286 by blessewe
Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:21 am
Seems possible for other VOIP carriers, should be standard benefit for OOMA also. Certainly to Cananda and all US offshore locations.
#31288 by murphy
Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:32 am
Other VOIP carriers charge $33 per month ($24.99 plus taxes) for the "free" international calls.
#31296 by lchan
Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:17 am
You are comparing different business models. That is apples to oranges. Ooma has to some how make money to survive. It does not charge you monthly fee for the basic services. It needs to get money by other means.

Different company uses different business models
Vonage $24.99 + taxes (about $33) a month, free national and international calls for certain countries.
Broadvoice $9.95 + taxes (about $15.42) a month, free in state calls. Out of state and international calls cost extra per minute. It also has other world calling plans (from $19.95 to $29.95 + taxes) with much higher monthly charge.
Ooma No monthly charge (or about $ 1 per month for Telo or Hub only users). Free national calls. Per minute charge for international calls.

Also broadvoice charges $1 for e911 and Ooma does not. Broadvoice includes most of the premier features (not the second phone number). Ooma has them in the paid Premier service.

You pick which one to use depends on your phone usage. However, we cannot expect one company to give you all free services of all the other companies combined.
#51780 by jmassimilla
Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:07 am
I can't understand why people can't grasp what murphy and lchan just pointed out. :shock:
#51828 by abdusazad
Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:58 am
From my experience:
1) When use OOMA international prepaid calling or International bundle:
If you dial for any call or especially international calling, the minutes start counting from the moment you start dialing, no matter it’s being connected at destination party or not or even no one answer the phone at destination end and you disconnected call within first, second, third ring. In this case at least two minutes charging like 23x2=46 cents. OOMA customer service says: that is the rules for OOMA where I never seen any other carriers doing that. All other carriers only were counting minutes when phone line connected or start conversation on both end.

2) OOMA blocking to call internationally if you use calling card or third party to connect international call, Let say if you call from OOMA home phone to local Gtalks number to connect the international call. In this case, you (from OOMA home phone) dial to Gtalks local phone to connect to Gtalks local phone, from Gtalks local number asking you to provide international number to connect international destination (Gtalks is third party international call provider). Once you provided destination number as per Gtalk local phone, In this case always some messages comes up as:
The destination party not answering your call or destination part not reachable or you dial the wrong number, whereas if you use cell phone (T-mobile) and dial the same destination number from cell phone to Gtalks local number and Gtalks local number routing that call to destination party, it’s successful and you connect immediately with out any hassle. What wonder business model is this by OOMA????
3) OOMA online account webpages is very slow and buggy, some time work but most time not as supposed to be.
4) Also most time voice quality is very bad in the other hand, though you hear very clear but other party not always get good voice quality.
5) If you calling OOMA customer service for any help, either they blame your internet service provider or give some excuses or provide some wrong information and try to get rid from you and saying that, oh I didn’t hear you clearly, you need to call back in an hour and so. Too bad…isn’t?
Last edited by abdusazad on Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#51848 by mthomtech
Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:00 pm
jmassimilla wrote:I can't understand why people can't grasp what murphy and lchan just pointed out. :shock:

Doesn't seem like a hard concept :)

It's funny how many people fall for the "free services" that charge you a monthly fee!

I'll start my own company providing FREE $100 bills each month ... after the $200 monthly fee!
#51950 by Shawn
Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:28 am
abdusazad wrote:From my experience:
2) OOMA blocking to call internationally if you use calling card or third party to connect international call, Let say if you call from OOMA home phone to local Gtalks number to connect the international call. In this case, you (from OOMA home phone) dial to Gtalks local phone to connect to Gtalks local phone, from Gtalks local number asking you to provide international number to connect international destination (Gtalks is third party international call provider). Once you provided destination number as per Gtalk local phone, In this case always some messages comes up as:
The destination party not answering your call or destination part not reachable or you dial the wrong number, whereas if you use cell phone (T-mobile) and dial the same destination number from cell phone to Gtalks local number and Gtalks local number routing that call to destination party, it’s successful and you connect immediately with out any hassle. What wonder business model is this by OOMA????

I use a phone card for my international calls. I don't experience blocking of any sort.