Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#31270 by endgame
Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:34 pm
First of all, thanks to all who answer any of the following questions. I have spent some time researching the ooma products but have missed some needed information.
1) I currently use a Panasonic base w/answering machine + multiple handsets. Can I still use the answering machine as before? Will I still pick up calls as before?
2) With ooma Core can I remotely retrieve messages from my answering machine or do I need the Telo product?
3) If 1 & 2 are 'yes' then what happens in the event of an outage, is voicemail stored on ooma's servers?
3) Can you pick phone numbers within your area code or are they assigned randomly?
4) Is FUSF fee only surcharged for international calls?
5) Am I correct in assuming that number portability exists for any ooma provided numbers as well as for any numbers ported to ooma.
6) Is anyone noticing any delays (both sides hearing each other) when initiating or receiving calls on ooma? How about if front-ended by Google Voice?
7) How are users notified of outages? Is there a web page showing real-time status and estimated ETA for uptime?
8) If ooma device is placed behind wireless router are there any other settings besides traffic prioritization that affect performance? What is optimal and minimum KB/sec needed for outbound TCP?
9) With Scout setup (2nd number) can I call that number to access voicemail or do I have to retrieve via the internet?
#31271 by allo
Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:08 pm
endgame wrote:First of all, thanks to all who answer any of the following questions. I have spent some time researching the ooma products but have missed some needed information.
1) I currently use a Panasonic base w/answering machine + multiple handsets. Can I still use the answering machine as before? Will I still pick up calls as before?

YES - I have 2 Panasonic Systems (7433 & 9333) and they both work fine with ooma.

2) With ooma Core can I remotely retrieve messages from my answering machine or do I need the Telo product?

3) If 1 & 2 are 'yes' then what happens in the event of an outage, is voicemail stored on ooma's servers?

YES ... server

3) Can you pick phone numbers within your area code or are they assigned randomly?

YES... Pick and choose .

4) Is FUSF fee only surcharged for international calls?

YES ... For Telo there is an annual fee of $12 starting 2nd tear

5) Am I correct in assuming that number portability exists for any ooma provided numbers as well as for any numbers ported to ooma.

1 land-line number, YES. for $40 .

6) Is anyone noticing any delays (both sides hearing each other) when initiating or receiving calls on ooma? How about if front-ended by Google Voice?

Not very noticeable .

7) How are users notified of outages? Is there a web page showing real-time status and estimated ETA for uptime?

8) If ooma device is placed behind wireless router are there any other settings besides traffic prioritization that affect performance? What is optimal and minimum KB/sec needed for outbound TCP?

YES ... QoS settings ... at least50 KBs

9) With Scout setup (2nd number) can I call that number to access voicemail or do I have to retrieve via the internet?
Last edited by allo on Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
#31278 by murphy
Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:22 am
endgame wrote:2) With ooma Core can I remotely retrieve messages from my answering machine or do I need the Telo product?
You can't retrieve messages from an answering machine with the core product. It doesn't pass DTMF tones through to your answering machine. At the present time the Telo doesn't pass DTMF either but that is supposed to be fixed.

There is a status page but it's not real time. Someone from Ooma has to update it.

You can call the scout's private number to retrieve voicemail, or have it emailed to you, or retrieve from internet. This assumes that you have a Premier subscription.
#31449 by endgame
Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:03 pm
Thanks to both allo and murphy for the replies... I am impressed with the active user community on these forums. All my questions were answered so now I'm proceeding with the next step - getting the hardware.
#31692 by georget99
Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:15 pm
endgame wrote:...

3. When you activate, you enter the area and next 3 digits of a number in the area you want your number based in. They will give you a list of numbers to choose from. The size of the list varies depending on how many numbers they have in your area. I'm in a rural area so the list had about 15 numbers. I tried a big city and the list was much longer.

6. I've only had ooma for about 2 months and I have never had noticable delay, echo, or quality problems.

I was paying Comcast $42 for internet, and Verizon $45 for dial tone. Now I pay Verizon $30 for DSL and ooma for Premier and get free long distance, too.

One feature that doesn't get much press around here (that I've seen) is multi-ring. Now I just give out my home number for everything and my cell phone rings, too.