Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#30319 by just4fn
Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:57 am
Thinking out of the box.

Have Ooma instead of a cell phone. I wonder if Ooma could replace some cell phone use. Have a phone be able to connect to the internet- hot spots that is incorporated with your Telo. Like cell towers if there are enough hotspots you can call anywhere. It would not be a regular cell phone but a internet phone that looks like a cell phone made only for Ooma. Is this next century thinking? Maybe the Ooma phone could use cell towers somehow to connect to the internet. Man, free cell phone use just for the cost of hardware!!

This product should be available next week.
#30322 by just4fn
Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:09 am
It could be called the TeloCello.

Beta next week and Working the next! Here is a picture of the prototype:

It may not work that good until they make the antenna smaller.
Attachments
cell.jpg
cell.jpg (1.58 KiB) Viewed 3226 times
Last edited by just4fn on Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
#30325 by southsound
Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:32 am
I still have one of those! Gosh, I never knew it could connect to the Internet - or that I could make free phone calls with it. I sure hope the cost comes down though because I spent over $2000 for mine because California would not allow cell companies to share part of the cost as they do now. :P

Oh, and as to the original idea, I love it! Maybe we could use a softphone app for ooma on existing hardware like my iPod Touch.
#30328 by just4fn
Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:46 am
So if they had a softphone app for the iphone the phone call would be free but you would just pay for data? Is that cheaper than regular cell phone use or would that be more expensive. Could you have limited cell phone minutes but unlimited data?
Could you have no minutes but unlimted data?
#30332 by daet
Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:23 am
just4fn wrote:Thinking out of the box.

Have Ooma instead of a cell phone. I wonder if Ooma could replace some cell phone use. Have a phone be able to connect to the internet- hot spots that is incorporated with your Telo. Like cell towers if there are enough hotspots you can call anywhere. It would not be a regular cell phone but a internet phone that looks like a cell phone made only for Ooma. Is this next century thinking? Maybe the Ooma phone could use cell towers somehow to connect to the internet. Man, free cell phone use just for the cost of hardware!!

This product should be available next week.

This is not such a far out thought. T-Mobile offers plans that are somewhat like this. My T-Mobile Blackberry 8120 has WiFi, and for $10 a month, all the calls I make over any WiFi network are free. I barely use any of wireless network minutes each month - more than 90% of my calls are WiFi-routed. Even better, because my employer has WiFi throughout a fairly large building with very poor cell coverage, I still get cell phone service.
#30485 by ydnar723
Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:25 am
I would love to see this, that photo of the prototype....that brings back some memories of my first cell phone. Let's get this in Beta by Friday! Ok maybe Alpha...