Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#30623 by robl45
Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:21 am
I think my main issue and the part people are ignoring, overlooking or whatever is that OOMA needs to survive. As I see it right now, they will probably be out of business in 1 year. Simply no way to keep going and giving things away for free. Now as I've stated before, OOMA core pays no fees each year. So Telo pays 12 dollars a year, thats no big deal, but what happens when they say its 100 bucks a year or 200 bucks a year? Now you've paid hardware, and you are paying 10 or 20 bucks a month. Would you want to pay 100 bucks a year when the core users pay nothing? Ooma is setting a bad precedent here and I'm amazed that the moderators won't comment.
#30631 by allo
Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:51 am
I think some of the latest posts are by new "people" who are trying to tarnish/blemish ooma service.
For what reasons? either being paid by others in this business, like MJ or they have nothing better to do!

From now on I am going to ignore any posting which has a negative/doubtful tone... specially from those who are not real current customers of ooma... and one can tell from the idiotic questions they ask or stupid comments they make!
I even deleted some postings when I realized the kind of morons I was dealing with!
#30642 by lchan
Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:05 am
I think you are guessing the future here. Nobody knows for sure Ooma will survive or not for a long time. And no business can guarantee to you that the cost/charge will stay the same forever. Your local telephone and cable company raise their price all the time and year after year. People either accept that or switch to another company if that option is available.

I totally understand your issue with the higher up front cost with the equipment. We are willing to pay that in the hope that in the long run it will save us money. That is the Ooma business model right now. I believe they have the intention to keep it like that as long as possible. But in the future, if it needs to be changed in order to survive, I have no problem with that. I do think Ooma is a honest company. At the time when they change their business model. Just like with other services, I will readdress the situation and decide if I want to stay or switch.

You should consider the $200 equipment cost just like that. It is the price for the hardware. There are other VOIP companies with different models. Some charge you $40-100 for the equipment with a monthly fee of $15 or more and some give you the equipment and charge you $25 - $40 a month. They all do not guarantee that they will keep their price for any period of time. What keeps the price in check is competition. Which one you pick is totally up to you. Nobody has a crystal ball that shows what the future is going to be. Ooma just a use a different business model. It is not that different than any other companies.

If you feel that strongly that at some point Ooma will keep raising the charges and fees for new telo customers while the hub/scout users pay nothing, you should buy a hub/scout today and get in when you still can. In this case, you will be all set for the life time of the equipment.
Last edited by lchan on Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
#30651 by Groundhound
Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:44 am
robl45 wrote:I think my main issue and the part people are ignoring, overlooking or whatever is that OOMA needs to survive. As I see it right now, they will probably be out of business in 1 year. Simply no way to keep going and giving things away for free. Now as I've stated before, OOMA core pays no fees each year. So Telo pays 12 dollars a year, thats no big deal, but what happens when they say its 100 bucks a year or 200 bucks a year? Now you've paid hardware, and you are paying 10 or 20 bucks a month. Would you want to pay 100 bucks a year when the core users pay nothing? Ooma is setting a bad precedent here and I'm amazed that the moderators won't comment.

100 - 200 bucks a year for fees while core users pay nothing? This is a straw dog argument and yet another troll. Of course moderators won't comment on ridiculous suppositions, I won't waste my time anymore on this thread either.
#30714 by FloridaJohn
Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:00 pm
The reality is this: after you buy the hardware, and assuming you don't get the Premiere service, then:

Telo users pay $0 in year 1 and $12 per year after that.
Core users pay $0 per year.

All you can really go on is what we know now, at this is it. Will that $12/year turn into $500/year? No one knows, but the premise is that it won't. Will it be $14/year in five years? Maybe, but no one knows.

What you really need to look at is to your current horizon. Will this be a worthwhile investment over the next year? the next two years? If yes, go for it. If no, then look elsewhere.

Personally, I am counting on two years of good service as a minimum to feel I got my money's worth. It will take about six months to pay for the upfront costs, and after that, I'm golden. To me, though, it is not worth the effort if I only get my money back. The point is to make a difference in my monthly bills, and I need the low prices long enough to feel the benefit. For me, that is two years.

I think it will pay off, so I bought a core system. I am still in "testing" mode, but so far it has passed all the tests. After a month of good service, I will port my number. Then I will drop the phone company like a hot potato!
#32147 by robl45
Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:19 am
I think I will just buy a core, they are getting decently cheap and no fees forever sounds like a good deal, certainly better than anything the TELO. Does anyone know where the list of fees are? I saw it once but it seems like OOMA is trying to keep it pretty well hidden.