Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#29731 by Sylvia Hayes
Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:24 pm
I see where some people are having problems with their ported number:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4034

Is this an argument to take a new number? Or should ported numbers work flawlessly? I would much prefer to keep my current number and I don't want to keep my old ATT account active.
#29741 by mary
Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:56 pm
Hello Sylvia Hayes.
I have read your topic. I do not know anything regarding it, but I only want to tell you that it is important to keep your home phone service until the porting process is complete. If you will stop service before completing the porting it could be difficult and to losing your phone service and the number you are attempting to port to Ooma.
Thank you.
#29742 by mary
Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:57 pm
Hello Sylvia Hayes.
I have read your topic. I do not know anything regarding it, but I only want to tell you that it is important to keep your home phone service until the porting process is complete. If you will stop service before completing the porting it could be difficult and to losing your phone service and the number you are attempting to port to Ooma.
Thank you.
#29757 by mezzy316
Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:29 am
I had AT&T as well and I did a port. You don't need to call AT&T at all, in fact it's better if you don't. Just hook up your new Ooma and let it assign you a temporary number. Fill out the port request online, and your number should port to Ooma in about 3-4 weeks. The port will automatically cancel your AT&T service when it goes through.
#29759 by Neubiee
Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:35 am
Sylvia- Do you have DSL through the same number/same carrier as well? or do you get your internet through Cable?
#29764 by Sylvia Hayes
Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:08 am
I turned off my computer last night after posting this, so thanks to all replies. Thanks mezzy316, that clears up an issue I had in question.

In answer to Neubie, I have cable through Brighthouse in Michigan, although I have the Earlhlink service through them, i had a choice between Earthlink and Road Runner went with Earthlink because it was cheaper. I hope the cable will make it easier.

I have been searching the forums here and went to Amazon after I saw a post about them and it looks like it may be a better way to get it rather than locally, I know how good they can be if you have an occasional return.

This all looked so confusing at first, but it is beginning to look a lot easier now.
#29767 by Neubiee
Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:16 am
If you get your High Speed Internet through cable then process is fairly straight forward. When you get through cable, it is no longer tied with your phone line.

Answer your second question. I love to shop at amazon.com but if you were looking to get instant gratification I would buy it local. Exchanging/returns would be a lot easier through a local store.

Step 1: Plug your OOMA into Router or Cable modem. (Let us know what your current setup is with computers etc. Someone can walk you through it)

Step 2: Register your device and get your self a temporary number. At the same time request number porting.

Step 3: Sit tight until OOMA updates you about the port. You can continue to use your OOMA and Att in the meantime.

Read this for more info: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3938#p28591
#29770 by Sylvia Hayes
Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:31 am
mezzy316 wrote:I had AT&T as well and I did a port. You don't need to call AT&T at all, in fact it's better if you don't. Just hook up your new Ooma and let it assign you a temporary number. Fill out the port request online, and your number should port to Ooma in about 3-4 weeks. The port will automatically cancel your AT&T service when it goes through.

What happens to your temporary Ooma number when you do it this way?
#29773 by mezzy316
Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:37 am
Your temporary number goes away. Also, your logon to My Ooma (formerly the Ooma Lounge) will change from your temporary number to your ported number. You'll get an email from Ooma when that happens.
#29779 by Sylvia Hayes
Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:07 am
mezzy316 wrote:Your temporary number goes away. Also, your logon to My Ooma (formerly the Ooma Lounge) will change from your temporary number to your ported number. You'll get an email from Ooma when that happens.

Thank you mezzy, it looks like we will wait until next week to look at Costco, if they don't have it go to Best Buy, then probably order through Amazon. We want to take a look at the box or appliance in the store before we order. I just hope I am not on any obligation to ATT, we just went back to them in March. We tried to add Directv which we already had and will keep, but there was no indication that Directv did anything to our account after signing up with ATT other than refuse me my rebate.