Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#29708 by Sylvia Hayes
Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:33 pm
I just discovered Ooma with our Best Buy ad this last week-end, and because we had used Earthlink's True Voice for a couple of years this looked like something we would like to go back to. I gave up on Earthlink because of a problem they couldn't resolve to get my service back at one time. I had to spend a lot of cell time when we barely use a cell phone and got nowhere so we went back to ATT.

Since I have just become familiar with it this last week-end I feel I will have a lot to absorb, but want to start with small questions, if I may here. I looked at the forum and did see Telo discussed but can't help but wonder if Telo will be replacing the hub? It appears that I will be able to use my current hand sets? I was able to use all phones in the house with Earthlink. I had no extra equipment to do this with. Is the scout necessary to be able to use all phones? Best Buy is advertising the Telo not the hub and scout. I live real close to Costco also, but haven't checked the store to see what they might have at my store. If we were to go with the Telo do we have to have the Telo handset?

I will use these questions for starters, and thanks to anyone who can direct me.
#29713 by Groundhound
Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:59 pm
Sylvia Hayes wrote:Since I have just become familiar with it this last week-end I feel I will have a lot to absorb, but want to start with small questions, if I may here. I looked at the forum and did see Telo discussed but can't help but wonder if Telo will be replacing the hub? It appears that I will be able to use my current hand sets? I was able to use all phones in the house with Earthlink. I had no extra equipment to do this with. Is the scout necessary to be able to use all phones? Best Buy is advertising the Telo not the hub and scout. I live real close to Costco also, but haven't checked the store to see what they might have at my store. If we were to go with the Telo do we have to have the Telo handset?

I will use these questions for starters, and thanks to anyone who can direct me.

Ooma is selling both Hub and Telo with no announced plans to discontinue the Hub AFAIK, but there's plenty of speculation out there that the Hub will be discontinued at some point. If the Hub is your choice I wouldn't be concerned as the Hub is a popular product and Ooma will certainly continue to support it.

You can use your current handsets with both the Hub and Telo. For the Premier service the Scout is a needed add-on with the Hub, while the Telo handset allows access to all Premier features on the Telo. If you choose not to continue Premier past the free trial, then either the Hub or the Telo will operate just fine without the optional Scout (for the Hub) or Telo Handset (for the Telo).
#29752 by byersthja
Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:57 am
Another difference between Hub and Telo is the Terms of Service. If you shop around online, you should be able to find a Hub easily with the old TOS. The new TOS will have a $11.75 per year fee in year 2 and beyond. Also the new basic service will not feature CNAM, caller ID with name. You will still get Caller ID, but without the name attached. The new TOS originally did not include voicemail either, but they changed that last week so that basic voicemail is included. If you purchase a Hub/Scout unit, you likely be under the old TOS, with no fees unless you decide to subscribe to Premier. Check the Hub box for information regarding fees. If it says everything is free, then that unit is under the old TOS.
#29756 by Neubiee
Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:28 am
All OOMA products will have Voicemail and all new activations are subjected to the new TOS regardless of TELO or Hub.
No recovery fee the first year but 11.75 starting the second year. $11.75/YEAR and not 11.75/month like some people quoted on Amazon.com etc.
#30299 by bw1
Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:44 am
Groundhound wrote:For the Premier service the Scout is a needed add-on with the Hub, while the Telo handset allows access to all Premier features on the Telo. If you choose not to continue Premier past the free trial, then either the Hub or the Telo will operate just fine without the optional Scout (for the Hub) or Telo Handset (for the Telo).

Maybe I'm missing something here, but the scout or the handset is not required for Premier. It is required to access the instant second line which is one of the features of Premier. Also, the scout/handset is required for the private voicemail feature. All the other Premier features will work without a scout/handset. Although, send to voicemail or 3-way conferencing may be easier with scouts/handsets located in other areas of your house.
#30301 by Groundhound
Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:52 am
bw1 wrote:
Groundhound wrote:For the Premier service the Scout is a needed add-on with the Hub, while the Telo handset allows access to all Premier features on the Telo. If you choose not to continue Premier past the free trial, then either the Hub or the Telo will operate just fine without the optional Scout (for the Hub) or Telo Handset (for the Telo).

Maybe I'm missing something here, but the scout or the handset is not required for Premier. It is required to access the instant second line which is one of the features of Premier. Also, the scout/handset is required for the private voicemail feature. All the other Premier features will work without a scout/handset. Although, send to voicemail or 3-way conferencing may be easier with scouts/handsets located in other areas of your house.

True, I'm guilty of using the term "needed" from my perspective. I am a Premier customer, but without the second line I would not be.
#30304 by bw1
Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:02 am
That's ok, you've been very helpful in your posts. I can't keep up. :)

I've hardly used the instant second line.
The blacklists are getting quite a workout lately though.
#30316 by ajw522
Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:39 am
[quote="Neubiee"]All OOMA products will have Voicemail and all new activations are subjected to the new TOS regardless of TELO or Hub

No, only new TELO products and Hub Only products have the new ToS. Basically, it's what on the box that applies to you. ALL Ooma Hub/Scout combinations (ooma CORE) are under the old ToS - you get caller id with name and there is no Regulatory Recovery Fee.