Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#29620 by royboy
Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:51 am
Hi All,

I've been burned before by companies promising the world but only delivering hell. So is this for real? Can I really achieve the same quality of service I get through my landline but pay nothing for it the rest of my life?

I currently have 10mbps road runner. Is this sufficient for Ooma? Please give me a quick general tutorial of how the setup process will go and what I'll need to do. I'm not the most computer savvy but I get by. If this is for real than I can take the money I'll save using Ooma and buy each of you a beer:)

Thanks
#29622 by hpepper
Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:00 pm
I currently use Ooma with 10Mb Road Runner service in Columbus, Ohio and it works well. I actually have two Ooma hubs. It's great not having a phone bill anymore. I was skeptical in the begiining too - but now I am sold on it and recommend it to everyone.

It takes about 30 minutes to set up once you bring it home. You register online, pick a number and then hook it up and let it update. Then you have dialtone.

The best part is they have a 30 day return policy if you don't like it.

I highly recommend it.
#29629 by foxkid
Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:21 pm
As a customer, this seems to be "For Real".

I don't speak for OOMA. I am a new, reasonably happy, sometimes thrilled, OOMA customer. These are my opinions -- not OOMA's -- not yours.

I doubt OOMA will actually be "free" forever. For me, as a Premier customer, is already is not free. The FCC imposes some fees, which I expect will be passed along. I hope the company charges enough so they stay in business. OOMA has personnel costs, equipment costs, bandwidth costs, termination costs, publicity costs, R&D costs, and so on. Ideally they will be long-term profitable, and tens of millions of happy customers each paying a modest fee will make them so.

I hope they don't try an ad sponsored model. Can you imagine a 10-second advertisement every time you pick up the phone -- or worse?

Getting phone service "free forever", when the "forever" lasts as long as the venture capital, isn't the service I've signed up for. Let's hope for a profitable OOMA.

Although I don't use all the features of OOMA, some are compelling, such as the land line integration and second line. Some are convenient, such as emailed attachments with voice mails. And some save money, like low international rates and no per-minute charges for US calls.

In the mean time, I'm happy, sometimes thrilled, with the service.
#29639 by Groundhound
Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:09 pm
royboy wrote:Hi All,
I've been burned before by companies promising the world but only delivering hell. So is this for real? Can I really achieve the same quality of service I get through my landline but pay nothing for it the rest of my life?

It's a great service and will likely save you a bunch of $$, but you should understand that "free" for life refers to the lifetime of the equipment, not you.
#72399 by foxkid
Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:05 am
To follow up on a message of a year ago ...

My subscription to Premier expired, and the email mp3s for voice mails stopped coming. At first I thought OOMA must have messed something up, but poking around the web site I found that my subscription had expired.
So -- I signed up again for another year of Premier.
I am curious how a "subscript" expired (AFAIK) without notice, but there was a good deal for signing up again (another Scout to work with my Hub), so I'm still happy.
One year saving about $120/mo on phone service (2 lines with sub-optimal plans traded for 1 OOMA Premier). Even with the initial costs, I'm still ahead by having saved 75%.
There has been a rare glitch, at least one caused by my ISP rather than OOMA. But, cell phones have gotten everyone accustomed to poor phone service, and this is much better than cell phone serice or quality.
So, I continue to be a contented, sometimes thrilled, OOMA customer.
#72406 by southsound
Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:16 am
foxkid wrote:To follow up on a message of a year ago ...

I continue to be a contented, sometimes thrilled, OOMA customer.

Welcome to the majority of us who have chosen ooma to be their phone company! Thanks for the report! :cool:
#72436 by lbmofo
Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:15 am
Groundhound wrote:
royboy wrote:Hi All,

It's a great service and will likely save you a bunch of $$, but you should understand that "free" for life refers to the lifetime of the equipment, not you.

If this is any indication, savings will run long! 4 years old and still ticking? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0527869235