Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#1577 by scots
Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:19 pm
I was wondering if someone from ooma could post some sort of official statement on what's going on with ooma Support?

There are a ton of complaints on here from people who have tried (or are trying) to contact Support lately. People calling numerous times before they're able to speak to someone, being on hold for extended periods of time, being routed to voicemail and never getting called back after leaving a message, e-mailing Support and getting no replies. There's been a few brief messages from ooma staff saying stuff like "I'll have someone look into that for you" or things of that nature, but I haven't seen any official explanations as to what exactly is going on.

It doesn't exactly give people the "warm fuzzies" about a company when it's impossible or extremely difficult for them to get in touch with support when they have issues or want to request additional services (port a number, sign up for Premier, etc). As the complaints keep adding up with no official word as to what's going on, it's starting to make me wonder if I should return my ooma equipment before the 30-day return policy expires...even though I really haven't had any problems with the service. It also makes me really hesitant to port a phone number over or sign up for Premier (which I'm seriously considering). When a company starts having "difficulties", customer support is usually one of the first things to suffer.

Does ooma only have one person to answer the phone for support? Is support overwhelmed due to a mass of signups from the sale price on the equipment last month? Is ooma hiring more support people or doing anything to help alleviate the problems with contacting support that have cropped up recently? Enquiring minds want to know!
#1581 by DED
Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:02 pm
I agree. The product and concept is great but I'm hesitant to port my number and set up a premier account if I can't get assistance getting the basic equipment to communicate with each other. From what I've seen in the forums, too many people have exactly the the same problem (with their scout) for ooma to not have a known fix for it.
#1582 by Bobby B
Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:39 pm
Unfortunately we underestimated the large spike in holiday sales that started on Black Friday and sustained itself through today. As a result we weren't able to scale support accordingly, which has created a large backlog of support requests (mainly with porting requests) that we're chipping away at.

We've seen the spike in customer dissatisfaction (from surveys, direct feedback and online reviews) due to delays with customer support and we're making it a high priority to make sure we have the staff to service all of our customers. The good news is, the support team recently added several new members to the team a couple weeks ago and they should be completing their training shortly.

We're also working on developing self-service tools such as an online porting tool which should also help free up support resources.

Obviously we dropped the ball with our estimation of needed support resources - but we're working hard to re-deliver a high level support experience for the ooma community.
#1586 by brobb
Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:58 pm
Thanks for the explanation, Bobby. I figured ooma was a victim of its own success, but the confirmation makes me feel better.

Installing and getting ooma running was a snap. If you'd just have an on-line way to port your existing landline number, I'd have had no reason to call support. It's good to hear that this is being addressed.

Good luck in digging out of the backlog. Thanks.
#1587 by scots
Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:02 pm
Thank you, Bobby! I (and I'm sure others) really appreciate your response! I've been extremely happy with my ooma experience so far, but the sudden influx of complaints I was seeing here scared me a little. It's good to hear that ooma is working on improving the support experience!
#1598 by pantut
Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:04 am
Thank you Bobby for your answers. I actually am the COO of a company that operates home based agents for inbound customer service and sales. After a number of attempts the other day to call support I was starting to think that my sales department should call your company and offer our 24 / 7 customer support services. PLEASE continue to communicate to your users, and be proactive, and let them know when it is going to get bad for any reason, not just after the fact and then ask for our understanding,. Be right up front. Also, I must of missed that survey that suggested folks were upset with support. I just received a survey the other day, and found it funny that the questions were actually based of sales metrics that support the concept that customers were pleased for your marketing programs. But there were no questions about customer service. i.e. Have you ever contacted customer service. etc.... I suspect that Ooma knew what the answer would have been and decided to avoid that aspect. I know, because we create surveys for clients after the caller talks to our agents or use the web for support, and it can be a eye opener. But a great tool to improve support. Best of luck in the new year, and we look forward to the roll out of your new product at CES in the next couple of weeks.
#1719 by highlevelweb
Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:23 pm
I have 4 Ooma Hubs for me and family members and I will also say customer support is not great. Not that they are not good at there job but they are not friendly. Not asking them to be super nice but I dont want to feel like I am bothering them either. With 4 hubs I have delt with ooma alot and feel they need to do something about support. If you have to pay them more for them to act like nice to customers you should do so. I must say I had a nice person yesterday (not today) nut his name was Tino and he was very polite. Thats all we ask i thin courtsey. Thanks dudes.
#1731 by marklib
Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:17 pm
I just spent 21 minutes waiting for customer support and got a "leave a message with your name and number" recording. The last time this happened to me I never got a call back, and I'm not holding my breath this time either.
Update 12/28/08:: I got an email saying "I see your problem has been solved" Ughhhh.
Last edited by marklib on Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
#1743 by brwilliams
Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:24 pm
Thank you for the "official response." I for one am happy that unexpected success is part of the reason for the poor customer service. I am a believer in ooma and in fact purchased the system for my mother.

However, I have a big concern that the problems are deeper than just being unprepared for the "Christmas rush." I have been one of the lucky ones who was patient enough to wait on hold when calling in. I was greeted with, "Hello." Not "Hello, this is ooma free phone service, how might I help you"...Just "Hello." Much like a board teenager who answers the phone. The first time it happened I was surprised. The second time it happened showed me that this might be a deeper cultural problem within the company.

I believe in ooma. I want it to be around for a long time, but the training and culture needs to stepped up a notch or two.

By the way. Both times I was assured that I would receive the porting form via email, and to date have not received it.
#1817 by brwilliams
Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:25 pm
An update to my Jan 5 post. I tried calling customer service one more time and got Erica on the line. She was polite, professional and followed through on what she said she would do within 5 minutes. It is easy to just post frustrations, so I just want to give Erica a thumbs-up 'atagirl.