Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#28059 by devika
Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:59 am
Some questions that Bobby, Dennis, Norm or others may make it easier to understand

- Is there a QOS setting within Telo that end user can tweak (if required) by connecting to Telo webpage (172.x.x.x). Is it even required to do this or allowed?

- I understand that the Lifetime Premier is for the Telo unit and not the account, so after years if it breaks and I cannot get a new Telo I loose Lifetime Premier.
Question is if Ooma stops building Telo will they transfer it to the new unit or I am SOL
Can I buy a unit from say ebay or other user and keep the Premier

- One thing that I am not able to clarify is whether porting is included with Lifetime Premier or not

- Where does Ooma stand in terms of subscriptions (no of users) and what percentage of users opt for Premiere. I believe by bringing out Telo Ooma might have increased their user base. I guess it is not as brisk of an influx as it is with PagePlus Cellular (Verizon MVNO) where customer service is suffering due to influx. I haven't heard/read CS issues at Ooma.
I ask this to ascertain if Ooma is in the running with heavyweights like Vonage, Packet8, Lingo or others.
Other reason is whether Ooma is stable enough to be running 3 years later as Premier will take at least 3 years to break-even with the cost of Telo & Premier

- Does Level3 host these numbers, if not does anyone know who does - it was with Level3, I believe when it was with Sunrocket

Thanks.
#29015 by bw1
Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:03 pm
Answers in blue below.

devika wrote:Some questions that Bobby, Dennis, Norm or others may make it easier to understand

- Is there a QOS setting within Telo that end user can tweak (if required) by connecting to Telo webpage (172.x.x.x). Is it even required to do this or allowed?
Yes, you can tweak your QOS settings. It's beneficial if you have your PC or router after your Telo. You can also connect at http://setup.ooma.com

- I understand that the Lifetime Premier is for the Telo unit and not the account, so after years if it breaks and I cannot get a new Telo I loose Lifetime Premier.
Question is if Ooma stops building Telo will they transfer it to the new unit or I am SOL
I would think you could transfer lifetime to a new Ooma device if they're no longer selling the one you have. But you probably want to get confirmation from an official Ooma source.

- One thing that I am not able to clarify is whether porting is included with Lifetime Premier or not
I believe someone else asked customer service and they said yes. I would suggest that when you're ready to port and buy lifetime, you do both at the same time by calling CS.

- Where does Ooma stand in terms of subscriptions (no of users) and what percentage of users opt for Premiere. I believe by bringing out Telo Ooma might have increased their user base. I guess it is not as brisk of an influx as it is with PagePlus Cellular (Verizon MVNO) where customer service is suffering due to influx. I haven't heard/read CS issues at Ooma.
I ask this to ascertain if Ooma is in the running with heavyweights like Vonage, Packet8, Lingo or others.
Other reason is whether Ooma is stable enough to be running 3 years later as Premier will take at least 3 years to break-even with the cost of Telo & Premier
Everything that I've seen, says they won't release subscriber numbers, but it seems to be over 100,000 by now. Last I read, 28% get premier. I suspect it may go up with the Telo, since customers have to register with a credit card and opt out of premier. If you're basing number of new customers by CS issues, then Ooma must be doing really well.

- Does Level3 host these numbers, if not does anyone know who does - it was with Level3, I believe when it was with Sunrocket
I think that Ooma has a number of different carriers, including Level 3. In my area, it's XO Communications.
Thanks.
#29021 by lchan
Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:05 am
To my understanding, life time Premier is for the life time of the hardware. It ends when the hardware dies. The general life expectancy of hardware is 3+ years. If you get 5, 10 years with yours, it will be cheaper for you compare to the per year subscription of the Premier. Of course, it is a gamble, your call.

I do not think you can transfer your Premier to another Telo (may be with the exception when it is a replacement for a broken one under warranty).

We have to understand, all companies some how need to have a source of income. And for now, Premier subscription is the major on going income stream (other than the one time equipment purchase price) for Ooma.

PS. This is link to the April 2008 Blog (under New Retail Pricing) that talks about Ooma converted the original Hub owners to Life time Premier. It mentioned that
"Premier for Life. This gets you a lifetime subscription to ooma’s enhanced calling features with no monthly charges (this offer is good for the life of the ooma Hub device)!"

https://www.ooma.com/blog/2008/04/
#29061 by Groundhound
Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:22 am
devika wrote:- I understand that the Lifetime Premier is for the Telo unit and not the account, so after years if it breaks and I cannot get a new Telo I loose Lifetime Premier.

See this post by Dennis P: http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=26896#p26896
#29071 by technogranny
Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:41 am
Just joining you guys...So what exactly is the QOS? I've seen it referred to before and don't have a clue. Everything is working OK for me so I don't suppose I need be concerned; but I'm curious. Also; how do you find out who your carrier is?? :?:
#29098 by Groundhound
Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:01 am
technogranny wrote:Just joining you guys...So what exactly is the QOS? I've seen it referred to before and don't have a clue. Everything is working OK for me so I don't suppose I need be concerned; but I'm curious. Also; how do you find out who your carrier is?? :?:

QoS refers to Quality of Service, and generally means the settings in the setup for the Ooma device (hub or telo) or your router, which ever comes first in your network. These settings control priority for network traffic so that phone calls can have a higher priority than say, web browsing or file upload/download. If you are not having any issues, then as the old saying goes, "if it's ain't broke, don't fix it".