Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#27704 by cjones78
Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:39 am
My number port to Ooma is scheduled to take place in two days, on Thursday the 22nd. I am excited to be able to finally ditch the Comcast Digital Voice service that I've had for just about a month now. I have been thoroughly disappointed in CDV's lack of features for the price (especially after having AT&T CallVantage for 5 years).

However, I am nervous that the number port won't go smoothly. I still haven't received any emails regarding the number port after the initial email with the LOA attached. I only found out about October 22nd being the estimated cut-over date when I called Ooma customer service about an unrelated issue.

So, here's hoping that the number port actually happens on Thursday and everything goes smoothly! My Telo is currently connected to the router and has Internet connectivity. I also plugged a spare telephone into the Telo, so the data/voice path is complete! :D
#27719 by jazzyone
Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:25 am
I was also excited and nervous with my port since I had verizon and the same number for 10+ years.

My port occured on the date that they estimated. I didn't get additional emails either until the day of the port. The first email was to inform me that my primary number was changed to the ported number. Then about 6 hours later I got an email stating that my port has been successfully completed.

Between that time my wife said when she tried to call home the number was out of service/disconnected. When I got home I was still able to make outbound calls on VZ, but incomming calls rang on Ooma.

About an hour after, I disconnected the VZ connection to my house wire after I got the offical email on the successful port.
#27738 by skellener
Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:33 am
All I can say is be patient. Also, don't expect the port to be done first thing in the morning. It usually kicks in sometime late in the afternoon. My advice? Don't even bother picking up the phone until the evening. It should all be done by then. I've seen a lot of people go irate because they pick up the phone first thing in the morning expecting the port to be done. Save yourself some grief. Just wait until the evening to try it.

When mine was ported, I just checked it when I got home from work. All was fine. No problems. That was over a year ago. Been extremely happy with Ooma since I got it.

I hope all goes well for you.
#27796 by franklasvegas
Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:07 pm
I too - got the initial email on the port - then nothing else.

It happened on the day they said - I requested it on 09/01 and it ported on 09/17 -just a couple of days over 2 weeks!!! Also about a week before my next Vonage bill was due so I got out of giving them another month of $$$.

I also noticed all working mid-afternoon not first thing in the morning - so be patience on the day of the port.

Good luck with it - I am sure all will be OK.
#27913 by tjchrist
Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:59 pm
I submitted my port request on 10/12 and got my email confirmation. A few days later my existing home phone service (Time Warner Digital Phone) stopped working. I called Time Warner (on my cell) and they said they had received a port request and it was scheduled to happen on 11/5. They weren't sure why my service stopped, so they had a tech look into it while I was still on the phone. They said they mistakenly did something that caused the outage and they fixed it right away. A day or 2 later I received the email below from Ooma. So it looks like Time Warner responded to Ooma. It might be worth a call to Comcast to see if they can tell you your port date.

Dear ooma subscriber,

You’ve recently requested your phone number to be ported to ooma. We have submitted all of the information you provided to your current Carrier and are still awaiting confirmation. The expected due date of the order is the week of 11/05/2009.

We will notify you via email once we have confirmation of the actual completion date.

Please keep in mind that if you have DSL on the same number that you requested to port, you will lose your internet connection when your number is ported. ooma will not work without a broadband connection, so this is a friendly reminder to insure you do not experience down time.

Please be aware that you may experience downtime the day the port is being completed.

If you have any questions or concerns you can contact our Customer Support team Weekdays 8am - 6pm PST, Weekends 8am - 5pm PST at 888-711-6662 (ooma).
#27991 by cjones78
Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:35 am
See, I never got the email that you posted above with an estimated date. I only found out the estimated number port date because I had to call Ooma about a billing issue and I happened to ask what was going on with the number port since I hadn't received any additional emails about it. I did, however, receive an email about the number port last night:

Dear ooma customer,
You’ve recently requested your phone number to be ported to ooma. The expected completion date of your request is scheduled for Oct 22, 2009.

Please keep in mind that if you have DSL on the same number that you requested to port, you will lose your internet connection when your number is ported. ooma will not work without a broadband connection, so this is a friendly reminder to ensure you do not experience down time.

We will notify you via email once your porting has been completed. Once everything is working fine you can cancel your phone service with your previous provider.

If you have any questions or concerns you can reach us Mon-Fri 8am to 6pm PST, Sat-Sun 8am to 5pm PST at 888-711-6662 (ooma).

zhenyu wu
Support: 888.711.6662
Hours of Operation: Mon - Fri 8AM - 6PM pst, Sat - Sun 8AM - 5PM pst
https://www.ooma.com

Thank you for using ooma!

Keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well tomorrow! My husband and I both will be at work all day, so we won't even be checking the phone until about 4-5PM EST. Oh yeah, I got an email from Comcast last night saying to please disregard the 'Bundle Rewards' email that was sent to me on 10/16 because I no longer qualify for the rewards deal since I am breaking out of the bundle. I think I can be pretty sure that Comcast got the port request after receiving that email! lol
#28040 by murphy
Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:06 am
cjones78 wrote:Oh yeah, I got an email from Comcast last night saying to please disregard the 'Bundle Rewards' email that was sent to me on 10/16 because I no longer qualify for the rewards deal since I am breaking out of the bundle. I think I can be pretty sure that Comcast got the port request after receiving that email! lol

I got a similar email from Comcast saying they sent me the triple play rewards email in error. That is true since I have never ordered their phone service.
#28421 by amarryat
Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:13 am
cjones78 wrote:My number port to Ooma is scheduled to take place in two days, on Thursday the 22nd. I am excited to be able to finally ditch the Comcast Digital Voice service that I've had for just about a month now. I have been thoroughly disappointed in CDV's lack of features for the price (especially after having AT&T CallVantage for 5 years).

However, I am nervous that the number port won't go smoothly. I still haven't received any emails regarding the number port after the initial email with the LOA attached. I only found out about October 22nd being the estimated cut-over date when I called Ooma customer service about an unrelated issue.

So, here's hoping that the number port actually happens on Thursday and everything goes smoothly! My Telo is currently connected to the router and has Internet connectivity. I also plugged a spare telephone into the Telo, so the data/voice path is complete! :D

Mine is supposed to occur today as well. I was nervous too, but got the email saying that it should be complete today - but I received that email on Monday. I wanted to make sure that the ported number becomes the primary, and my current primary becomes the secondary. We'll see. I guess when I try to log in to my.oooma, it will fail once the switch occurs. Wasn't it written somewhere that this will take a month or so? If it does in fact switch today, it will have been 1.5 weeks or so.

At this point I have my old VoIP number being forwarded to the Ooma so that I won't miss any calls.
#28424 by Groundhound
Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:26 am
amarryat wrote:At this point I have my old VoIP number being forwarded to the Ooma so that I won't miss any calls.

If the old VoIP number is the one being ported, you could miss some calls during the transition which can last for several hours.
#28426 by amarryat
Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:35 am
Groundhound wrote:
amarryat wrote:At this point I have my old VoIP number being forwarded to the Ooma so that I won't miss any calls.

If the old VoIP number is the one being ported, you could miss some calls during the transition which can last for several hours.

That's exactly what I'm doing. At least I can make outgoing calls.