Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#27370 by karalabe
Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:44 pm
Does anybody know how is voice transmitted in Dect 6.0 technology? I mean between the basestation and the handset?
What codec is used for that? Is it different that what other wireless technologies (2.4 GHz, 5.8 GHz) use?
I use an old phone device and I have no issues with interference or range. Would I benefit from upgrading to Dect 6.0?
#27432 by DougInAZ
Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:08 pm
About the only thing I can say about my GE DECT 6.0 system is that the ooma hub signals through the house phone wiring when there is a new voice message and all of the hand sets blink to announce a new message. The only other thing I can say about my GE system is that the audio is terrible and the handsets lose their connection to the base fairly often. This leads to a delay in answering the phone since the handset has to re-link with the base before the call can be answered.
#27435 by allo
Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:17 pm
DougInAZ wrote:About the only thing I can say about my GE DECT 6.0 system is that the ooma hub signals through the house phone wiring when there is a new voice message and all of the hand sets blink to announce a new message. The only other thing I can say about my GE system is that the audio is terrible and the handsets lose their connection to the base fairly often. This leads to a delay in answering the phone since the handset has to re-link with the base before the call can be answered.

I don't think OOMA is to blame for that. I had the same problems with that brand even with the telcos... constantly losing the connection to the base and not holding a charge more than a day, along with a lousy audio!
I had 2 GE DECT.6.0 systems and I can tell you they are, along with ATT's, the worst there is...
Now I have A Panasonic System and it seems to work fine... the 6400 and 7400 series (Panasonic) are supposed to be the best there is in quality ( but stay away from the 9300)!
#27527 by southsound
Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:24 am
I have two Uniden 1580-5 DECT 6.0 systems - one for my ooma hub and one for my landline. Both come with 5 handsets. They work flawlessly and never interfere with each other or with our wireless network. Range is good, feature set is excellent, and you get a lot of capability that you don't have with many other phones. You can transfer calls but you don't have to limit the call to just one user - you can have several handsets talking to the same outsite party. Great for when both you and your spouse want to talk to one of the kids or to mom. I also love the speakerphone in each handset and the multi-number redial. I bouth both at Staples - $99 less $25 coupon - free shipping. That's only $15 per handset. :cool:
#27583 by gbickel1
Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:44 pm
I'm using a Philips CD150 Dect 6.0 system with 4 handsets. Works fine without issues. I had both the 2.4ghz and 5.8ghz handsets in the recent past, and my laptop would lose it's wireless connection whenever the phone would ring. Sometimes I would lose connection when the microwave was used. Since switching to DECT 6.0, I have been interference free. So, YES I would say that it is a worth upgrade if you use wireless networking in your house.
#27588 by Leeway
Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:47 pm
Dump the GE phones and get either Panasonic or Uniden and your problems will end.