Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#27173 by WayneDsr
Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:12 am
This would have to include a "contract" of some kind and as you can see by the cell phone industry, contracts are almost a thing of the past, cells are now going "Contract Free" in order to boost sales.
Plus, you never know what's going to happen in 3 years, that's a lot of time in the tech world. Ooma could give away a Telo and 3 years later some other company has something better to offer. It will take 2 years just to recoop an ooma profit that could have been upfront, and lose the customer in the end anyway.
Ooma could (and probably will) come out with a new piece of equipment, making the Telo obsolete, then what, give that away as well? It could get rather complicated. Cancel the free Telo after 2 years and get the new unit for free under a different name. That's 4 years of free Premium.

Just my 2 cents...

Wayne
#27174 by allo
Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:19 am
just4fn wrote:The cash up front would be 120.00 from everybody and 120.00 every year after that.

Everybody? Remember 75% of the present, and very likely prospective customers do not want or need PREMIER!
#27175 by just4fn
Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:24 am
That's just it, people don't know what they need. Why have 2 different service's? Premier would not be an option but a necessity and that's what ooma wants. Heck they are already changing the core services to make Premier almost a necessity.
#27188 by Groundhound
Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:58 am
allo wrote:
just4fn wrote:The cash up front would be 120.00 from everybody and 120.00 every year after that.

Everybody? Remember 75% of the present, and very likely prospective customers do not want or need PREMIER!

Ooma must change that ratio to favor Premier in order to succeed. If they start out in the hole with every customer by giving away free equipment and hoping to make it up down the road, they'll find themselves in the Vonage trap, with customer acquisition costs of several hundred dollars and no profit on any customer until they've been on board for more than a year!

I think Ooma is moving in the right direction now, with no up-front loss on any customer while keeping the basic service basic and making Premier more attractive.
#27191 by just4fn
Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:00 am
I feel like Henry Fonda in the "12 angry men"
#27195 by WayneDsr
Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:10 am
Actually I think this was a good question... and gives us something to think about while waiting for the update! :-)
But the more you think about the possibilities, the more you can understand ooma's new TOS.

Wayne
#27201 by allo
Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:22 am
just4fn wrote:I feel like Henry Fonda in the "12 angry men"

I don't think I personally need all those extras, considering I only use the phone less than a couple hours a month!
I reach/deal with most of my contacts with emails; to me that is more convenient and less of a hassle!
So why do I need the extras of Premier?

PS: I might get Premier because I find those features attractive (even though you can get most of those extras for free with GOOGLE VOICE) , and to help ooma stay in business hopefully!
That cannot be said of every other customer!
#27204 by MikeekiM
Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:33 am
Premier for me is not about needs...it's about wants... :)

I absolutely, positively do not need premier... Especially since I am on the old T&Cs...

I have a few reasons I went with Premier:

1. I like little extras... and I like new stuff... and I know the new stuff will only come to premier... (I am a gadget guy by nature, and love playing with all the nifty new features)

2. Of the extras, I really love having my "answering machine" back, in terms of call screening... I was on the telco VM and while it was great...when the call rolled to VM, it was gone... Premier brings back all the pluses of VM, with all the pluses of my good old fashioned answering machine.

3. I want to support the company... Yes, it sounds like motherhood and apple pie...but it's true... It's not about charity... I have a vested interested in wanting Ooma to continue to thrive... When I was on the free service, one of my hopes was that if times get tough, that Ooma come to it's users and say "hey look... I know we promised you free...but if we keep this up, we will close our doors in a year... Would you all be willing to support a nominal subscription model?"... And my answer would have been "YES"...

Well...there you go... Just my opinion... YMMV... :)