Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#26846 by RealDave
Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:06 pm
I just got a telo and I'll be switching from Vonage. I'd like to grab a few of the handsets but $50 per?

I know I can get a free handset with $120 up front cost but I'll be porting a number as well, so that saves $10 but I'll still be spending $40. Then second handset is $50 and a third is another $50. Two handsets for $100 is more than many DECT 6 systems with 4 or 5 handsets with a voicemail base unit. I know the market for the handsets is limited and there is more functionality than the "dumb" standard DECT 6 handset, but still, $50 per?

I did a search and no one has brought this up so I may be way off base about this. I would love to have a telo with 3 or 4 handsets but an additional $150 to $200 is just too much.

Legitimate gripe or am I just too cheap?
#26856 by Leeway
Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:35 pm
Personally, I want more than the 4 handsets that can connect to Telo no matter what they cost.

So, I am planning to have a couple of Telo handsets in the most important places for me and I just purchased a set of new DECT phones which I will put where I don't need all of the functionality of the Telo handset just the convienience of having a phone nearby.
#26858 by WayneDsr
Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:42 pm
I'll probably purchase 2 Telo handsets and have 3 dect 6 connected to the telo base. Yes, I can understand the price is a bit high, but since we don't have any to check out yet, we may feel differently after we actually have one in our hands.

Wayne
#26883 by WayneDsr
Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:40 pm
I remember growing up with a dial. Back then you didn't buy a phone, you leased it monthly. No caller id, no voicemail, no call waiting, mechanical bell.
When my dad died we were going over the bills and found out that my mom was still paying for one of those old dial phones that she still used.... for about 30 years plus! You think she payed more than $45 for it? Good ol' Bell Telephone.

Wayne
#26884 by allo
Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:08 pm
WayneDsr wrote:I remember growing up with a dial. Back then you didn't buy a phone, you leased it monthly. No caller id, no voicemail, no call waiting, mechanical bell.
When my dad died we were going over the bills and found out that my mom was still paying for one of those old dial phones that she still used.... for about 30 years plus! You think she payed more than $45 for it? Good ol' Bell Telephone.

Wayne

Ma bell was a leech back then, and then with the help of Uncle Sam, she gave birth to more little leeches ... which are even more blood thirsty!
#26889 by MikeekiM
Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:58 pm
I think the $50 per handset is extremely cheap... With the scout running $69.99, I thought for certain the dect handsets would go for more than 50 bucks...

That said, of course everyone would love to see the headset be cheaper... like $29.99... But for what it is, I think $50 is a reasonable price point...
#26897 by Wilsonium
Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:37 pm
I hadn't realized Vonage had a DECT 6.0 system but after checking it out it seems it's probably a system manufactured by VTech or other manufacturer. I also checked out the prices for DECT 6.0 expansion handsets on bestbuy.com and found pricing from $20 to $80. I didn't compare features for the handsets but it looked like the more expensive ones had more features.

That said I think the Ooma Telo Handset fits nicely into that pricing range given the very tight integration with service features. Once this is all said and done with the beta testing I hope to have 4 handsets on my Telo. I could finally replace my stupid VTech and Uniden systems here at the house.

Cheers
Don