Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#28486 by tailwheel
Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:38 am
Aveamantium wrote:Lately I've been having all kinds of problems with GV... In my case it is adding enough delay to make it as bad, if not worse, as a bad cell connection. Also, when people call my GV number and it is sent to my Hub the voice breaks out terribly. If I call them back directly, the voice quality is fine. I've pretty much abandoned GV at this point.

That's the kind of stuff I'm worried about. Also, maybe someone could explain what happens to a call that goes through google. The way I have it pictured in my head is that if someone calls my google number, the call gets routed through google's system then through ooma's system to my hub. So it's being compressed by google (using whatever codec they use), decompressed at ooma, then compressed using their iLBC codec, then routed to my hub where it is decompressed. So I'm picturing multiple compression/decompression phases, at each point, part of the voice signal is being lost, degrading voice quality. Maybe it doesn't work that way or maybe it's more optimized then that.
#28533 by lohertz
Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:58 am
Just like the Ooma, GV is in an infancy stage, which of course is without some bugs. However, the free call management features you get are extraordinary.

My only concern is applications of GV extentions so that no matter which phone I'm using, my GV number appears. Despite that I don't want to pay for anything, b/c I'm cheap, when GV ext are released, I would consider paying for that feature. Although I'd be curious to know how that will work since both my wife and I have GV numbers. How it will determine which number to use will be interesting.

As far as call quality, I revert back to the standard, POTS. I'm not looking to hear a symphony though a little speaker and microphone so as long as the service is delivered better than analog POTS, I will be happy, for now. When the overall handset market improves the quality sent and received, I will complain about codecs.
#29726 by fishmister
Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:00 pm
tailwheel wrote:
Aveamantium wrote:Lately I've been having all kinds of problems with GV... In my case it is adding enough delay to make it as bad, if not worse, as a bad cell connection. Also, when people call my GV number and it is sent to my Hub the voice breaks out terribly. If I call them back directly, the voice quality is fine. I've pretty much abandoned GV at this point.

That's the kind of stuff I'm worried about. Also, maybe someone could explain what happens to a call that goes through google. The way I have it pictured in my head is that if someone calls my google number, the call gets routed through google's system then through ooma's system to my hub. So it's being compressed by google (using whatever codec they use), decompressed at ooma, then compressed using their iLBC codec, then routed to my hub where it is decompressed. So I'm picturing multiple compression/decompression phases, at each point, part of the voice signal is being lost, degrading voice quality. Maybe it doesn't work that way or maybe it's more optimized then that.

Exactly what I am thinking. I have had some seriously messed up calls with co-workers but when I am connected directly to a POTS line and Ooma everything is fine. If I go through GV then Ooma it becomes unreliable.
#30281 by thearne3
Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:13 am
This is my first post on this forum, so may be a bit naive....

When you all refer to 'seemless' integration of GV and Premier - is there a list of features that Ooma is officially working on? Are some features announced last Spring not yet implemented?

I'm still on Vonage and use GV as a front-end. Would love to switch, but Ooma/GV seems to be a work in process. I also want to be able to fully use two numbers...but that's another thread!
#30327 by MikeekiM
Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:45 am
thearne3 wrote:This is my first post on this forum, so may be a bit naive....

When you all refer to 'seemless' integration of GV and Premier - is there a list of features that Ooma is officially working on? Are some features announced last Spring not yet implemented?

I'm still on Vonage and use GV as a front-end. Would love to switch, but Ooma/GV seems to be a work in process. I also want to be able to fully use two numbers...but that's another thread!

Here you go:

https://www.ooma.com/media/press-release ... experience