Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#25274 by delljim
Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:40 pm
I have spent the last week looking at ooma and google voice, and trying to find out what use one would have in google voice over ooma. I cannot find any. Frankly I have been very disappojnted in Google Voice. I realize it is new, but it appears it was just thrown together.

I understand that ooma is coming up with some add ons to make Google voice work better, but after reviewing them, I still can't find any reason for anyone to use google voice, if they already have ooma.

Would love to hear other comments.
#25340 by southsound
Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:51 pm
I have both an ooma hub/scout and a Telo. I love Google Voice as a front end for both. I no longer have to give out multiple numbers for my home and cell numbers - with Google Voice my calls ring where ever I am. No one even needs to know if I'm home or not. I got back a day early from a vacation and just let folks assume they were still reaching me on the cell. For me the combination works great. I also love the ability to dial from my computer using my contacts list - imported from my company database and my other contact information. :cool:
#25365 by MikeekiM
Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:34 am
Help dispel a concern I have on this whole multi-ring feature (which is available with GV for free...and also available in Ooma Premier)...

My short experience with this is that it is great for a single person with their phones... Or a person in a family that has their own dedicated line... But I am not sure a shared family landline, multi-ringing to a personal cell phone really works well...

What if someone is calling for my wife on my landline, and I pick it up on my cell phone because of multiring?

Again, I haven't used multi-ring much to really understand/know if this is a big problem or not... but when that family phone rings, it could be for anyone in the household (4 in my case)... If I answer on my cell phone and it is for my son...what do I do? Tell him to hang up and call again and I won't answer it?
#25385 by southsound
Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:38 am
My wife and I are almost always together and we use only one cell phone - some of the joys of retirement and shared interests - we're associate pastors at our church and lead a 12-step recovery program. For us, having one number works wonderfully. If our situation were different, we'd have to make some adjustments. How about this - since the hub/scout pair offer two distinct wired phone lines, why not get a couple of GV numbers - one for you that would ring your cell and the main number, another for your wife that would ring her cell and the main number. The kids could share the additional ooma line on their own phones - they would love that. If you or your wife will be out for a couple of hours, just uncheck the home phone number in the GV settings or call in and change it online. That way you will never miss a call and people will have just one number for you and one for your spouse. The possibilities are endless but it may take some creative thought to get things tailored just right for you and your situation. Of course, all these things would work with just a landline but at a much higher annual cost than ooma.

There are a lot of us on the forum who have been using or experimenting with GV - maybe some of them will chime in with more suggestions.
#25458 by bw1
Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:05 pm
You can also have Google Voice display the GV number instead of the caller's number when the call is going through GV. That way if both you and someone else in the house both have GV numbers then you can tell who the call is for when the number displays on your home phone.

Right now, I'm using multi-ring from Ooma to ring my cell number and the home phones. I don't usually answer the cell phone unless I'm expecting a call and/or won't be home soon. Also, if the number calling is not in my contacts or is a contact that would usually call my wife (like my mother-in-law), then I won't answer.
#25513 by Lola
Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:37 pm
MikeekiM wrote:What if someone is calling for my wife on my landline, and I pick it up on my cell phone because of multiring?

Again, I haven't used multi-ring much to really understand/know if this is a big problem or not... but when that family phone rings, it could be for anyone in the household (4 in my case)... If I answer on my cell phone and it is for my son...what do I do? Tell him to hang up and call again and I won't answer it?

What we do here is have our ooma number multi-ring our google voice number. Now in google voice under "contacts" you can create groups and put different contacts in those groups. For example, my husbands work has its own group of contacts, we call that group "coworkers". So in there are all the phone numbers from the people at his job. If you then go under Settings->group and then select edit, you can set what phone number the call will ring. So anytime we receive a call from anyone from his job, both our home phone (ooma) rings and then his cell phone rings through google voice. Coworkers is the only group that rings his cell phone, just cause he needs to be available to them. We also set up a group for my family and that rings both home (ooma) and at my cell phone (google voice).

I think you can do the same thing by setting up groups for your wife and your son, of course you still have to deal with people outside the groups call. This feature has worked excellent for me, and havent had to go through the hassle of updating people to our new google voice number, since they can still our old 10 year old ported phone number with multiring to google.
#25559 by MikeekiM
Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:04 am
Wow... Lola... That's a great solution... I haven't digested it all in terms of how I would use these telephony acrobatics...but I can see something good coming out of it somehow! :)