Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#25253 by MikeekiM
Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:19 pm
OK... First, I don't have a broken Ooma... This is a theoretical question...

So I bought an Ooma box...and the relative high price (as compared to Vonage) is because I am not only buying the hardware, but the promise of a free dialtone for life... Right?

OK...so now my Ooma box breaks... And I want to replace the box... I go out and buy a new Ooma box at my local big box retailer... Haven't I just purchased the service twice??? Having already paid for the service part of the retail bundle the first time, shouldn't there be a way to replace broken hardware without having to pay for the service again?

I understand that I can transfer my old T&Cs over to the new box...I understand that I can transfer lifetime premier over (assuming I have it)...and that's fantastic... But it still a little bothersome that it appears that lifetime domestic dialtone ends up being paid for again...

Thoughts on this topic? I am assuming that I am not the first to think about this... What is the current thinking?

Thanks all... (and by the way...this is not a "poop on Ooma" thread at all... I think Ooma is great... But I still have this curiosity on this topic)...
#25257 by murphy
Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:32 pm
The box has a warranty and you can pay to extend the warranty.
You don't go buy another one, you contact Ooma for warranty service.
That is unless you broke it accidentally. Warranties don't cover accidental damage.
#25260 by MikeekiM
Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:48 pm
OK...let's say I am outside of the warranty period?

Again...recognize that I am asking a theoretical question...I do not have broken box at the moment... :)
#25265 by MikeekiM
Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:14 pm
OK... So the "deal" is that you get domestic dialtone and (now) 5,000 minutes a month for the life of the hardware...

If that's the expectation, then my theoretical question is answered, and there is nothing further to discuss... :)
#25266 by niknak
Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:17 pm
from the T&C :
...Subject to the limitations in this Agreement, purchase of certain Ooma base units includes Basic Service which is the capability to make calls that terminates within the United States using the base unit during the life of the base unit..
#25273 by MikeekiM
Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:39 pm
Yup... Thanks guys... Topic closed with that clarification... :)