Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#25032 by tivoboy
Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:20 pm
I have found lately that the ooma is using a lot of bandwidth, like 25kps, constantly. Is this back, I remember testing it years ago and it was not only using BW, but landline usage.

If this is going to leech bandwidth again, I am not a fan.
#25040 by but2002
Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:11 pm
Ooma is not going back to terminating its calls across other people's landlines, that idea was abandoned for security issues.

As for leeching outgoing bandwidth, it should not be. More than likely it could be downloading an update or something.
#25044 by murphy
Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:23 pm
It does keep a tunnel open to the server and there has to be a periodic heartbeat to verify that the connection still exists or there would be a long setup delay when you pick up the phone to make a call.

I don't know what you mean by 25 kps. Did you mean 25 kbps? If so, that's nothing. My downstream is 15000 kbps and my upstream is 5000 kbps.

My hub is not connected to a land line so it obviously doesn't need that.
#25133 by daet
Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:33 am
murphy wrote:I don't know what you mean by 25 kps. Did you mean 25 kbps? If so, that's nothing. My downstream is 15000 kbps and my upstream is 5000 kbps.

If it is a steady 25 kbps, then it could mean something to someone with a lower speed DSL connection - such as AT&T basic dsl (768 down/384 up). My in-laws have a DSL service with 384 down / 192 up. We haven't tried Ooma at their home yet.

DG
#25135 by tivoboy
Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:18 am
Thanks

I have about 684kbps up so it doesn't matter a great deal. I am measuring it at the router, with everything else off, other than the one computer that is on to access the router. I just find it odd, I thought they were NOT using BW anymore.
#25181 by ggilman
Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:22 am
tivoboy wrote:Thanks
I have about 684kbps up so it doesn't matter a great deal. I am measuring it at the router, with everything else off, other than the one computer that is on to access the router. I just find it odd, I thought they were NOT using BW anymore.

I think the question is HOW you are measuring it at the router. Most routers do not have the ability to measure bandwidth built in. I'm sure there are some that do but other than Tomato firmware, I'm not certain which ones. So, does your router support measuring bandwidth and if so, which router do you use? Also, can you be certain it's the ooma using the 25k? Just curious if there's a breakdown in the reporting that you could verify this. If not, it's possible that the PC is running something in the background you're not aware of & sucking up the 25k. If you can't specifically isolate the ooma in whatever reporting it is that you are using, you could yank the ooma off the network and see if it drops by 25k.

Ooma devices should not be using regular bandwidth any more when not in use. It still requires some though, since there is a heartbeat and such. It's not used to carry other people's voice streams though, or anything related to any other Ooma user other than yourself.
#25182 by WayneDsr
Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:22 am
I measured mine this morning. I get nothing at a constant. I have both the hub and the telo attached. During a 10 minute check I saw the ooma hub bump once and the telo bump once. That was it.

Wayne

EDIT: Using Tomato
#25186 by tivoboy
Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:43 am
ggilman wrote:

I think the question is HOW you are measuring it at the router. Most routers do not have the ability to measure bandwidth built in. I'm sure there are some that do but other than Tomato firmware, I'm not certain which ones. So, does your router support measuring bandwidth and if so, which router do you use? Also, can you be certain it's the ooma using the 25k? Just curious if there's a breakdown in the reporting that you could verify this. If not, it's possible that the PC is running something in the background you're not aware of & sucking up the 25k. If you can't specifically isolate the ooma in whatever reporting it is that you are using, you could yank the ooma off the network and see if it drops by 25k.[/quote]

so, indeed I use the tomato OS firmware on a linksys router, forget the model at the moment, wgt54gl or something like that. With this router, I can see the SOURCE of the upload stream in the QOS settings, and it is the ooma. I can also see the pc, but the traffic it says it is sending with only the router login window opened on a browser window is less than 1%, I am going to assume that means something, but practically nothing. As for other items on the router, I had unplugged the local server, local slingboxes (x3), local vudu, and a remote NAS device, this is pretty easy since they are all on a GIGE switch, that THEN connects to the router - for ease of access and so they can all talk locally over GIGE (like the vudu talking with the lcoal storage device and the slingboxes able to stream in full HD to pcs and catchers throughout the LAN)

So, not really sure what is going on, I am a freak when it comes to bandwidth usage, since I ONE, don't like devices that leech bandwidth (like skype for example when pc is on and app is running) and VUDU (but I DO give it some room) and I also like to know I can get the full slingbox stream of 675kbps when I am remote with a slingcatcher and want to watch some good streams.