Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#24921 by franklasvegas
Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:09 pm
Hello All:

I am currently a Premier subscriber.

I would like to have two (2) Telo handsets once they are available. If I "pre-pay" for two (2) additional years will I be entitled to the 2 handsets? I already had my number ported from Vonage so no need for that.

Seems like a win-win - purchase 2 handsets for $100.00 and then renew the premier at $119.00 per year or pre-pay two years for $200.00 and get the $100.00 in handsets.

Can anyone verify this is what I would receive?

FYI - was in Fry's tonight and they had at least a dozen Telo's on the shelf...

Thanks - the forums is such a help to a newer Ooma customer!

Frank
Las Vegas, NV
#24934 by MikeekiM
Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:26 am
I don't work for Ooma, but my interpretation of Ooma's offer to provide a handset or free port is for the first year only...

They aren't 100% clear in their documentation, but I have always assumed that it is much like applying for a credit card, and they give you some cash bonus for signing up, and there is no extra benefit after that... In other words, I saw the handset/number-port as an incentive to jump on the premier bandwagon...but that's it...

But if they are giving freebies away every year...that's even better! :)
#24935 by Leeway
Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:33 am
MikeekiM wrote:I don't work for Ooma, but my interpretation of Ooma's offer to provide a handset or free port is for the first year only...

They aren't 100% clear in their documentation, but I have always assumed that it is much like applying for a credit card, and they give you some cash bonus for signing up, and there is no extra benefit after that... In other words, I saw the handset/number-port as an incentive to jump on the premier bandwagon...but that's it...

But if they are giving freebies away every year...that's even better! :)

I am thinking the same way but what a cool marketing idea to pre-pay and be able to get another handset. At least for the original kick-off, it would be quite an attraction for potential Telo purchasers to buy. Kind of a grand-opening special to bring in the doubtful.
#24940 by Aveamantium
Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:49 am
They are going to have to offer something EVERY YEAR if they want anyone to prepay for an "annual contract" as opposed to paying month by month since it is actually cheaper (by a few cents) to go month by month (on their current billing structure). As a company, there should be incentive to the customers to commit to longer contracts as it is in their best interest!

Consequently, something like a free handset or the like would definitely encourage people to continue to re-up their annual contracts as opposed to going monthly. Just my $0.02
#24954 by franklasvegas
Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:50 am
Aveamantium wrote:They are going to have to offer something EVERY YEAR if they want anyone to prepay for an "annual contract" as opposed to paying month by month since it is actually cheaper (by a few cents) to go month by month (on their current billing structure). As a company, there should be incentive to the customers to commit to longer contracts as it is in their best interest!

Consequently, something like a free handset or the like would definitely encourage people to continue to re-up their annual contracts as opposed to going monthly. Just my $0.02

Agreed. My thought was - the "porting" is included with the Premier with no stipulations that it is only a 1st annual purchase perk and not applicable to future renewals. Since it now says "Port" or "Handset" you shpould get this perk with each annual renewal/subscription. Would love to hear the official stance on this from the higher powers.

They should consider lowering the annual premier subscription by the ampount of the port and then charge somethng like $19.99 for the port - since other companies are charging little if anything for porting.

Frank
Las Vegas
#25021 by Leeway
Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:14 pm
Aveamantium wrote:They are going to have to offer something EVERY YEAR if they want anyone to prepay for an "annual contract" as opposed to paying month by month since it is actually cheaper (by a few cents) to go month by month (on their current billing structure). As a company, there should be incentive to the customers to commit to longer contracts as it is in their best interest!

I agree with you more than 100% I also get the feeling that maybe Ooma is not sure of their own future offering the pay by the month and basically encouraging people to pay that way. I find it hard to believe that there is no incentive to pay annually. It certainly cuts down on the administrative duties to have annual payments versus monthly payments.

The annual payment should certainly have a perk in one way or the other.
#27906 by hysonmb
Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:20 pm
I just got on Ooma today after 6 years of Vonage. My understanding of the offer, being that they are saying that we get a free port or handset, would be that this is only for the first year and being used to attract new customers. Considering the pricing of the system and service, I'd imagine that they'd want to get more people to go month to month simply because it gives them more revenue. I have high hopes that well be long time Ooma cutomers as we were with Vonage. So far, I've only done one call and I think it was an improvement, but, it's way too early to decide.
My question is, when the bill comes are there additional charges / taxes or is it just the $119 (or $99 for you who got in before us newbs)
#27915 by danshiki
Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:05 pm
hysonmb wrote:I just got on Ooma today after 6 years of Vonage. My understanding of the offer, being that they are saying that we get a free port or handset, would be that this is only for the first year and being used to attract new customers. Considering the pricing of the system and service, I'd imagine that they'd want to get more people to go month to month simply because it gives them more revenue. I have high hopes that well be long time Ooma cutomers as we were with Vonage. So far, I've only done one call and I think it was an improvement, but, it's way too early to decide.
My question is, when the bill comes are there additional charges / taxes or is it just the $119 (or $99 for you who got in before us newbs)

There is no bills. If you are a new Premier subscriber then after your first year of service your subsequent yearly charges will be 119.99 + 11.75 Recovery fee charged to your credit card on file. OOma does not send bills. Hope this helps.
#27938 by allo
Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:11 pm
I don't think there is any incentive to pay the whole year in advance, in one payment after the first year, if one doesn't get some incentive himself. Since we are using the well known pricing gimmick of zillion dollars and 99/100; actually one saves : $0.11 when paying monthly + the cost of updating/maintaining the account!
That is why most places give the customer a break if they pay the whole amount in full ... such as car/home insurance.
Last edited by allo on Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#27941 by Groundhound
Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:16 pm
allo wrote:I don't think there is any incentive to pay the whole year in advance, in one payment, if one doesn't get some incentive himself.

True, that's why Ooma will give you your choice of a free Telo handset or a number port for paying in advance.