Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#24568 by Stackowax
Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:20 pm
It is probably too late to request this but I really hope that the handset has easily replaceable rechargeable batteries, i.e., standard rechargeable batteries that you can buy for reasonable money at CVS or wherever. Proprietary batteries (or, more accurately, proprietary battery interfaces) are REALLY stupid because: 1. they are more costly to your customers, 2. they sit on the shelf for longer periods of time and therefore have significantly shorter lifespan than do readily available batteries, and 3. the problems that the user has with the batteries will end up getting blamed on the maker of the phone (in this case Ooma).

To explain: All of the cordless phones I have owned that have used proprietary batteries have had--at most--45 minutes of battery life when the batteries were new. With the most recent version of such a phone, within a month of getting new batteries, the useable battery life was down to ten minutes. Far less, if you happened to forget to put the phone back in the charger for any length of time at all. The replacement batteries costs around $20-25 (x 4 handsets--so $100 for about two to three weeks worth of reasonable call length). By contrast, the Netgear/Skype phone I own--which uses two standard AAA rechargeable batteries that costs around $7 to replace (for the pair)--has never gone dead in use--ever. Even if left off the charging cradle for days on end, one can still use the handset for several hours. Ditto for the Verizon phones I just purchased which also use standard off the shelf batteries.

My advice: forget about trying to make money off of batteries. You won't make any as soon as generic suppliers undercut whatever margin you have. You'll do nothing but piss your customers off. Which means you lose customers (and money) in the long run.
#24574 by gregg098
Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:36 pm
Wow. I use some old (I mean old) Panasonic cordless phones and they last forever. I can leave them off the charger for over a week before they hit one bar or even talk for a few hours. I think you bought a lemon.