Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#24416 by prospective
Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:51 am
I'd looking at purchasing ooma and the premier plan. The ooma website's FAQ regarding getting a phone number indicates that the service is available anywhere except Alaska. It then says I need to "click here" to see if a number is available in my area. The "click here" doesn't work. I tried sending an email inquiry to customer service from the website...got an error message after typing and pressing "send". I tried calling: automated message only refers me to the website... couldn't get to a human. When I actually was able to send an email to customer service last week, I was simply told there were no numbers in my area (yet I see the hardware in stores). When I sent a clarified follow up question, noting that I didn't care if the number was in my 715 area code or not, and that I have no number to port, nobody responded.

Apparently they really don't want to sell me their product. But just for chuckles, can anyone out there answer this simple question: will I be able to get an ooma number if I don't care what the area code or number is, and if I have no number to port?
#24423 by prospective
Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:24 am
Thanks, Groundhound. It's telling me there are no numbers available. Isn't there a way ooma can simply assign me a number they DO have available?
#24426 by bw1
Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:29 am
Simply select another area code and/or exchange.

What area code/exchange are you looking for?
#24428 by prospective
Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:37 am
I'm in the 715 area code (northern / western Wisconsin). I tried 612 (St. Paul, MN), but got the same "no number" response, which really surprised me. So you're saying I just need to punch in numbers until one comes up available?
#24432 by doug
Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:49 am
prospective wrote:I'm in the 715 area code (northern / western Wisconsin). I tried 612 (St. Paul, MN), but got the same "no number" response, which really surprised me. So you're saying I just need to punch in numbers until one comes up available?

No, but you need to supply both an area code and an exchange local to where you want the number. The exchange does not have to match the numbers Ooma has available. But it uses that to look for numbers in the same local calling area.

If it is not showing any available in the area you want, call customer service. It nay take a couple of days but they can "order" more numbers in that rate center and you can get a number in the area you desired.
#24481 by bw1
Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:37 pm
prospective wrote:I'm in the 715 area code (northern / western Wisconsin). I tried 612 (St. Paul, MN), but got the same "no number" response, which really surprised me. So you're saying I just need to punch in numbers until one comes up available?

Check this site: http://www.telcodata.us/telcodata/telco ... &exchange= for available exchanges for the 715 area code.

Checking 203, 204, 212, 220, 222, 241, 254, 256 exchanges on Ooma's site gives the following:

(715) 803-XXXX (Wausau, WI)
(715) 254-XXXX (Stevens Point, WI)
(715) 220-XXXX (Hudson , WI)
(715) 338-XXXX (Hudson , WI)
(715) 942-XXXX (Waupaca, WI)

I didn't go through the whole list. I'm sure there are lots more.

You can go here http://localcalling.sbc.com/LCA/lca_input.jsp to check what exchanges are local calling to an entered area code/exchange to see that you're getting a local number for your area.