Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#24605 by jazzyone
Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:55 pm
The reason why your phone works during a power outage is because power for your phone is supplied through the POTS line from another location (not affected by the local power outage) or battery/generator backup at their facility. Comcast also has battery/generator backup at their Headend facility.

The point of failure will be the power supplied to your VOIP device rather than Comcast or Verizon. That's why FIOS and Camcast Digital Voice comes with a small battery backup for your home.

If you don't have power to your ooma device you're dead in the water..........Period

Besides having Ooma operational, I can power a 26" LCD Monitor, Quad Processor Desktop, Cable Modem, Wifi Router and a desk lamp for 30+ minutes with my UPS. Can't go wrong with that....
#24624 by southsound
Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:36 pm
jazzyone wrote:The reason why your phone works during a power outage is because power for your phone is supplied through the POTS line from another location (not affected by the local power outage) or battery/generator backup at their facility. Comcast also has battery/generator backup at their Headend facility.

Well, not quite. As a former telco employee (both ATT and Pacific Telesis) I can tell you that you are correct about the battery/generator at the CO. And at one time, most all homes were wired to directly to the CO through passive devices that needed no power. That is no longer the case. In my situation, our home is 16+ miles from the CO. Most of that distance is supported through fiber optic cable that requires power on BOTH ends. So the SLIC (Subscriber Line Interface Cabinet) that serves our home and a couple hundred others) has battery backup - or actually it runs on batteries all the time. Power is supplied to keep the batteries charged through a transformer to our local electric utility. If the utility power goes down the batteries will run the system until they are discharged or the power comes back on - whichever comes first. According to craft people doing the install of our DSL RTE (Remote Terminal Equipment), that system is not on a battery supply. That means no power = no DSL. It is also served by separate fiber. Recently a squirrel chewed through the fiber that served our SLIC. Dialtone was lost and through jerryrigging they did their best to restore things - but quality, reliable dialtone was not back online for 5 days! The DSL worked flawlessly during that time. Since I use Google Voice as my front end, no problem.

In our main town of Shelton, cable is provided by Comcast and also Hood Canal Communications. Each has battery/generator support at their headend. But there are all these boxes on utility poles. If they don't have backup, the signal will stop before it ever gets to the end user. So having good power at the headend or Central Office doesn't always mean your signal will never go away.