Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#24306 by jazzyone
Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:42 pm
Recently had an extended power outage 18+ hours and realized I needed some backup for power. Purchased a APC UPS with 750w of backup capacity ($89.95 plus tax/shipping). With the router, cable modem and ooma, it estimates 850 minutes (18.1 hrs) of backup time while only using 4w of power.

I have several cell phones but backing up the ooma is important to me. Just a suggestion.
#24309 by WayneDsr
Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:46 pm
I have an APC 1000 on mine and since I installed it I've had no power losses! Must be working! :-)

Good idea, if running voip only a battery backup is a must.

Wayne
#24315 by doctorwizz
Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:38 pm
Your cable may go off shortly after losing power. Mine does in southernMaryland with Comcast. Although they are supposed to supply back power for the node for digital voice customers.
#24319 by jazzyone
Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:49 pm
Yeah..I guess that would be possible. Hopefully a localized outage will not affect the cable backbone. If it does hopefully they have some battery backup as well.

Anyone in the cable industry with some insight regarding signal comming into the house during a power outage?
#24335 by southsound
Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:39 pm
I also use a UPS for most of my networking gear including two oomas. But I have Qwest DSL which is NOT on battery backup. In a power failure, my landline does run on batteries at the local SLIC - but not the RTE used by DSL. I guess that gives them another reason to say a landline is more reliable than VOIP.
#24342 by jazzyone
Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:17 pm
For what it's worth.....

Live Chat
Status: Analyst Comcast is here and your issue status is: working

Problem: Question about digital voice service during a power outage End Session user Me_ has entered room

Me(Mon Oct 5 22:44:52 EDT 2009)>Question about digital voice service during a power outage

analyst Comcast has entered room

Comcast(Mon Oct 5 22:53:51 EDT 2009)>Hello Me_, Thank you for contacting Comcast Live Chat Support. My name is Comcast. Please give me one moment to review your information.

Comcast(Mon Oct 5 22:53:53 EDT 2009)>Hi! How are you doing today?

Me_(Mon Oct 5 22:53:51 EDT 2009)>Good

Me_(Mon Oct 5 22:53:54 EDT 2009)>Does digital voice work while I have a local power outage? How?

Comcast(Mon Oct 5 22:56:37 EDT 2009)>I believe your phone service will still work even if you have a local power outage because your phone modem comes with a battery back up that functions if there is no power supply from the outlet on the wall. It can supply power up to 8 hours.

Me_(Mon Oct 5 22:58:49 EDT 2009)>So your facilities/backbone is equiped with battery backup or is not directly affected by a local power outage? In otherwords, the signal coming into my house will still be supplied, inspite of a power loss?

Comcast(Mon Oct 5 23:00:08 EDT 2009)>Yes, but it will only supply power to your phone modem.

Comcast(Mon Oct 5 23:01:02 EDT 2009)>Only the phone modem has battery back up, if that is what you want to know.

Me_(Mon Oct 5 23:02:18 EDT 2009)>I understand the "battery" will supply the power for the phone modem. My question is related more to your network. Will a local power outage distrupt the signal coming into my house?

Comcast(Mon Oct 5 23:02:45 EDT 2009)>No

Me_(Mon Oct 5 23:03:55 EDT 2009)>so I can count on having phone service for at least 8 hours should there be a long power outage?

Comcast(Mon Oct 5 23:04:17 EDT 2009)>Yes
#24472 by atici
Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:48 am
Get an Iridium satellite phone? Only then you can be sure. Otherwise it all depends on where the power failure happens.
#24510 by WayneDsr
Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:04 pm
Past experience here is that my DSL will always be on during any power loss I have. I can't think of a single time in 24 years that I lost landline power during a power outage. Knock on wood, of course......

Wayne
#24576 by southsound
Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:40 pm
Like niknak said, YMMV. Here in Qwest country we have a SLIC that supplies dialtone to many customers and does have some level of battery backup. However, Qwest is not really good at routine maitenance on batteries so when our power company's transformer that serves the SLIC blew, we had only about 5 hours of service instead of the 24 we should have. To compound things, our power was not out - it was isolated to the transformer that powered the telco's equipment. That transformer is about 1000 feet from our house and I heard the "bang" when it popped the 14.4KV fuse. I went down to the pole and saw the blown fuse so I called the power company. They said they had not received a call from Qwest so could not dispatch. A few more than 5 hours later, we had no phones and I had to use my cell to again make the report. When I watched them install the RTE for our DSL last January I asked about battery backup for the DSL and was told that they only provided backup for the voice equipment.

I'm just glad we finally moved out of the dark ages of dialup and have DSL working most of the time. So far, it has been more reliable than my voice line. :cool: