Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#24303 by CaptainKen
Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:25 pm
I just purchased to new telo to replace my hub and scout system. With the new system you can only have one wired phone without a splitter behind the telo. The old hubs won't work with the telo because they use existing phone wiring in the home. It would seem like a simple thing to make a wireless DECT 6.0 scout that would work with older corded phones or even fax machines. What does anyone else think? I would like to see this.
#24324 by Quicksprj
Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:03 pm
I think it's a great idea as well. I have a wireless phone jack. ei. Plug phone wire into one jack and power outlet and another unit into power outlet and it transmits phone signal wirelessly to another area where I have no phone jack. Theonly issue which hasn't caused any problems for me is it transmits in 900 MHz which is said to cause interference with some other wireless systems. If ooma could create even just a dect transmitter to transmit ooma signal it would be awesome.
#24333 by southsound
Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:36 pm
hpepper wrote:Sounds good to me - but also seems like a big engineering difference - not easy for them to do - But I DO like the idea.

I also love the idea. It may not be that big of a deal from an engineering standpoint but there may be some type of custom chip involved. Years back (1984 disvestiture, actually) I worked for Pacific Telesis. They had me testing a box that plugged into my 3-watt analog cell phone and gave POTS access. I remember it well because I used it with a laptop and internal dialup modem to do some data tests and almost wrapped my truck around a pole typing while driving. Later I sold one of the systems to be used on a cruise boat to give 2500 set access from several locations without needing remote cell controllers or an operator. I know that this is a little of a stretch from a DECT 6.0 device doing the same, but it did work fairly well. Of course, the unit was half the size of a regular brick and cost over $500. :P
#24371 by CaptainKen
Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:53 pm
It should be very easy and inexpensive to make. In November they are going to start selling the handsets for $50.00 each. If you think about it all this would be is the handset with the telephone removed and a phone jack added. It should be smaller than the handset and cost less to build.
#24973 by Groundhound
Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:41 am
CaptainKen wrote:It should be very easy and inexpensive to make. In November they are going to start selling the handsets for $50.00 each. If you think about it all this would be is the handset with the telephone removed and a phone jack added. It should be smaller than the handset and cost less to build.

Sounds easy but unless they're already working on it I wouldn't expect it soon. That added jack would need to be analog for it to work like a scout, and I would think the handset is all digital. Plus Ooma has not been bashful in announcing soon-to-come features, so I would be surprised if it were already in the pipeline.