Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#24166 by MikeekiM
Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:14 am
A fundamental question...and then a question in regards to grandfathering and the new T&Cs...

First the fundamental question:

Once you sign up for premier...can you make the decision to downgrade to basic/core? The T&Cs are vague in this regard... It seems to indicate that if your credit card cannot be charged for the premier, that your service will be disconnected... Why does it simply not just kick you back to the basic/core service? Seems extreme to cancel the service... So I guess a big question is that if it's not a billing problem, but you specifically request to downgrade...is that possible?

Second question is in regards to the recent changes...

So if I do downgrade in the future, are my core/basic features grandfathered based on my activation date? Is upgrading to premier putting my free/basic services at risk if I decide to downgrade in a year or two (or five...)? My hope would be that my free/basic/core service will ALWAYS be based on my activation date... True? Or Not True?

Thanks!
#24278 by Bobby B
Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:30 pm
Hi Mike,

MikeekiM wrote:Once you sign up for premier...can you make the decision to downgrade to basic/core? ... So I guess a big question is that if it's not a billing problem, but you specifically request to downgrade...is that possible?

Yes, you can choose to downgrade your Premier service at any time. Just give a call to Ooma support.

MikeekiM wrote:So if I do downgrade in the future, are my core/basic features grandfathered based on my activation date? Is upgrading to premier putting my free/basic services at risk if I decide to downgrade in a year or two (or five...)? My hope would be that my free/basic/core service will ALWAYS be based on my activation date... True? Or Not True?

When you downgrade Premier now or in the future, your service level will revert back to the original "base tier" you activated with. We'll be putting up a way to check your base tier in the My Ooma site within the next couple weeks.
#24288 by MikeekiM
Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:10 pm
Nice... Thanks Bobby! Very nice...so as long as you are an active customer (paid or otherwise), you retain your original activation date, and all the benefits that come with it... This is great news...

Next question, which I still don't have a clear answer yet... Are current premier customers grandfathered into the $99/year price moving forward? Or does the price eventually go up to the newer pricing? I have 5 days left on my free trial and understand that I not only have the 5 days to make a decision, but that my decision time has been extended to December 31st to make the call on the $99 pricing... Am I right? (and of course, my question on the grandfathering of 99 ongoing)...
#24449 by Bobby B
Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:24 am
Hi Mike,

Current Ooma Hub customers have until Dec. 31st to sign-up for Annual Premier at the $99.99/yr price. After that date, it goes up to $119.99/yr. After that time current Premier Annual customers will have their renewal priced at $99.99/yr for the foreseeable future (beyond December 31st).

Thanks,
Bobby

MikeekiM wrote:Next question, which I still don't have a clear answer yet... Are current premier customers grandfathered into the $99/year price moving forward? Or does the price eventually go up to the newer pricing? I have 5 days left on my free trial and understand that I not only have the 5 days to make a decision, but that my decision time has been extended to December 31st to make the call on the $99 pricing... Am I right? (and of course, my question on the grandfathering of 99 ongoing)...
#24450 by hpepper
Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:28 am
Bobby B wrote:
Yes, you can choose to downgrade your Premier service at any time. Just give a call to Ooma support.

When you downgrade Premier now or in the future, your service level will revert back to the original "base tier" you activated with. We'll be putting up a way to check your base tier in the My Ooma site within the next couple weeks.

This is great news - will be looking for that one... Also, great news on being able to come in at $99.99 for current Hub customers up to 12/31 and then keeping that price into the foreseeable future.
#24527 by THacker
Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:42 pm
Darn, I'm a little surprised. I can't see why those on free 'Premier' are not grandfathered in at $99. Even though it says it's free, of course we have really paid for the trial period as part of our purchase price. It seems awful arbitrary to say that we are not 'grandfathered'. We were kind of induced to wait by giving us a 'free' period, we would have subscribed earlier if you hadn't given it to us - now you're discriminating against us. And we didn't get any kind of warning or we could have protected our interests.

Disappointed. I could have accepted the same treatment for everyone ... whether it was $99 or $119; but this doesn't seem right.
#24531 by THacker
Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:55 pm
Oh, maybe I'm wrong. Jeez, the word play here is getting to me.

He says 'after that time', Annual subscribers are grandfathered in.

So, am I correct in saying this? If I'm on the free trial now and I buy the Annual Premier this week. I will be grandfathered in for the 'forseeable' future at $99. I will pay $99 again in 2010.