Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#24089 by robtcody
Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:44 am
I find Vonage to be 4 seconds faster at distinguishing a 7-digit dialing sequence versus a 10-digit one. Entering # at the end of the Vonage 7-digit doesn't speed thing up, but it does make Ooma comparable to Vonage.

Example:
203-555-1212 takes 6 seconds from dial tone to ring on either Vonage or Ooma.
555-1212 takes 8 seconds on Vonage and 12 seconds on Ooma.
555-1212# takes 8 seconds on Vonage or Ooma.

I suggest Ooma figure out how Vonage does this and implement it here at Ooma as I consider the (#) entry a circumvention to a problem; not a resolution.

I suspect Vonage counts the timing between digit entry and come the seventh digit, watches for an additional delay of two seconds. If so, assume a 7-digit dial and let the call go through (within the callers areacode). I further suspect ooma simply waits 8 seconds regardless of the prior digit timing and therefore is reliant upon the (#) entry to signal the caller has finished entering the number.
#24090 by but2002
Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:52 am
This is the very reason I have 10 digit dialing disabled in the lounge.
'
All local calls are 7 digits, and all long distance are 11 digits

XXX-XXXX
and
1-(XXX)-XXX-XXXX

This makes 7 digit dialing extremely fast
#24094 by robtcody
Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:27 am
but2002 wrote:This is the very reason I have 10 digit dialing disabled in the lounge.
'
All local calls are 7 digits, and all long distance are 11 digits

XXX-XXXX
and
1-(XXX)-XXX-XXXX

This makes 7 digit dialing extremely fast

Thanks!

I quote from the "System Preferences" page:
"10-digit dialing lets you make long-distance calls without dialing the initial 1, just like on your cell phone. This can introduce a short delay if you dial 7 digits for local calls. Press # after you dial to put the call through immediately".

I like the first part of the feature (not needing the "1"), but not the last part (the delay). Therefore I had this feature enabled (which is default). But just to see how much faster 7-digit dialing is without it, I disabled the feature and sure enough ooma is just as fast as Vonage with regard to 7-digit dialing.

But then I dialed an 800 number and then a different area code number without the preceding "1". And amazingly I found the call to go right through without a delay or error message stating I needed to proceed the call with the number "1".

So this begs the question: "what is this feature for?" It seems to only delay 7-digit calls and adds no benefit to 10-digit calls as the preceding "1" is not necessary. But the ooma explanation quoted above indicates the precedig "1" is necessary!

What's going on here?
#24097 by murphy
Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:50 am
For those of us in an area where 10 digit dialing is mandatory it prevents an attempt to begin call completion after 7 digits have been entered if you are a little slow entering the digits.

With the proliferation of cell phones and VOIP providers and Google Voice I am amazed that there are still areas that have 7 digit dialing. Philadelphia went to mandatory 10 digit dialing 15 years ago. My house has three possible area codes. My home phone and cell phone are in different area codes.
#24100 by robtcody
Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:05 am
murphy wrote:For those of us in an area where 10 digit dialing is mandatory it prevents an attempt to begin call completion after 7 digits have been entered if you are a little slow entering the digits.

With the proliferation of cell phones and VOIP providers and Google Voice I am amazed that there are still areas that have 7 digit dialing. Philadelphia went to mandatory 10 digit dialing 15 years ago. My house has three possible area codes. My home phone and cell phone are in different area codes.

I live in CT and my 1/2 of the state is area code 203. The other is 860. AT&T requires the #1 to proceed the 10-digits in CT, but Vonage (and apparently ooma) do not. CT will have two more area codes "overlayed" within the state and that means my neighbor and I can have two different area codes (whereas today we don't).

I'm guessing the mandatory preceding #1 has more to do with where the ooma servers are located rather than what my area code is. I'm wondering if there is any ooma customer that really needs to dial the preceding "1" regardless of the "System Preferences" setting?

But anyway, you made my ooma life easier by encouraging me to disable the feature, so THANKS!
#24110 by MikeekiM
Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:27 am
I don't mind dialing "1" for an LD call...so I also disabled...

And actually, just as a suggestion, I think it makes sense for the default to be "disabled" for the very reason that it results in an experience consistent with a normal landline... It's great to have the option of turning 10-digit dialing on...but defaulting to something that is not consistent with what is considered by most as "normal" causes confusion in my mind...

Just an opinion/suggestion...not a demand by any means... :)
#24112 by robtcody
Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:37 am
MikeekiM wrote:I don't mind dialing "1" for an LD call...so I also disabled...

And actually, just as a suggestion, I think it makes sense for the default to be "disabled" for the very reason that it results in an experience consistent with a normal landline... It's great to have the option of turning 10-digit dialing on...but defaulting to something that is not consistent with what is considered by most as "normal" causes confusion in my mind...

Just an opinion/suggestion...not a demand by any means... :)

Are you saying that you MUST dial "1" to make a call outside your area code (long distance). i.e. CT to CA?
Or are you saying you dial "1" and it goes through, but never tried skipping the "1" prefix to see what happens.

I suspect the "1" is not necessary regardless of the 10-digit setting. Maybe you could verify this for me. If the "1" prefix is required, what is the symptom you get when you skip it? An voice error message perhaps?

Thanks!
#24113 by murphy
Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:45 am
Dialing the 1 on Ooma is not required. However if you don't have 10 digit dialing enabled and you don't dial the 1 for a long distance call you can't dial slowly because Ooma will begin call completion as soon as it gets the 7th digit.