Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#23643 by rainyjc82
Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:42 pm
I just purchased and activated a new Hub two weeks ago from Best Buy not realizing the Telo was about to come out. If I upgraded to the Telo and then returned the Hub (since I'm within the 30-day return period) would I still be grandfathered in under the old TOS (i.e., no regulatory fee and free voicemail on the Core plan)? Thanks very much!
#23675 by hpepper
Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:43 am
That's a tuff one. My first thought is yes, you should be able to do that, but it really is a question best answered by one of the Ooma guys.
#23682 by WayneDsr
Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:54 am
According to Rich Buchannan on Facebook.

Previous Ooma Hub Owners
a. Previous Ooma hub owners (Core or Premier), can move their accounts, phone numbers, and features to the new Telo service including voicemail, and will not be subject to the annual regulatory recovery fee.

Wayne
#23686 by Groundhound
Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:07 am
I think the key is to not activate your Telo online. Call customer service and have them make the transfer instead.
#24625 by rainyjc82
Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:39 pm
Well, I found out the hard way. I went out to Best Buy, purchased a Telo, took it back home and when I went to transfer my account, found out that Ooma now has a policy where you cannot transfer a Hub to a Telo within the first 30 days after you registered your Hub. At least I'm able to return the Telo.

What's more, I was told by the representative that people who purchased a Hub may not be entitled to transfer Ooma Core to a Telo. I think I'm ok as I activated it prior to 10/01/2009, but apparently anyone who activates their Hub on or after 10/01/2009 will NOT be grandfathered into the old TOS if they ever move to a Telo, which seems contradictory to what is on the Blog. Seems like there are going to be some pretty angry people down the road.

I'm really surprised at how consumer-unfriendly Ooma is being - any good publicity they once had is quickly being ruined. I certainly wouldn't recommend them to anyone buying after 10/01/2009 now (and yes - I started posting right after the TOS changed, but I've been lurking for months before - just never felt compelled to post anything).
#24641 by Groundhound
Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:39 pm
rainyjc82 wrote:Well, I found out the hard way. I went out to Best Buy, purchased a Telo, took it back home and when I went to transfer my account, found out that Ooma now has a policy where you cannot transfer a Hub to a Telo within the first 30 days after you registered your Hub. At least I'm able to return the Telo.

What's more, I was told by the representative that people who purchased a Hub may not be entitled to transfer Ooma Core to a Telo. I think I'm ok as I activated it prior to 10/01/2009, but apparently anyone who activates their Hub on or after 10/01/2009 will NOT be grandfathered into the old TOS if they ever move to a Telo, which seems contradictory to what is on the Blog. Seems like there are going to be some pretty angry people down the road.

I'm really surprised at how consumer-unfriendly Ooma is being - any good publicity they once had is quickly being ruined. I certainly wouldn't recommend them to anyone buying after 10/01/2009 now (and yes - I started posting right after the TOS changed, but I've been lurking for months before - just never felt compelled to post anything).

In changing the T&C for the new Telo while grandfathering in hub customers Ooma created a potential loophole that would obviously cost them. That is, someone could buy a hub after Oct. 1 and set up an account, buy a Telo and transfer the account, and then return the hub to the store for a full refund. That they have acted to close that loophole should not come as a great surprise. Grandfathering in the hub customers who bought their product with the box advertising the old T&C was the right thing to do, but as the old saying goes, "no good deed goes unpunished".
#24645 by feartheturtle
Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:12 pm
I'm not a big fan of how ooma has handled the recent site update/product release/TOS permutations, but the whole premise behind this thread leaves me perplexed! So you want to borrow a "hub box" from Best Buy for two weeks, trim off the outside wrapper and paste it onto a "telo box?" In the process of doing this you need to pretend that you are sincere when you activate the hub? Something is rotten in Denmark!

There are a lot of legitimate concerns/questions raised in these forums about ooma's recent activities, but this particular issue just doesn't feel right at all. If you need to go down this road, at least have the decency to sell your "stripped hub" on eBay!
#24646 by fahdandemily
Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:15 pm
Can someone from Ooma please clarify what EXACTLY happens to people who activate a core after 10/1/09 and choose to upgrade to Telo at some point? The blog post from Oct 2nd doesn't separately address upgrading pre/post 10/1/09, I would love if someone could confirm whether this TOS grandfathering issue for those activating a hub after 10/1/09 is true.

I actually moments ago ordered a hub/scout from walmart.com. This is essentially a backup line for me, so I don't have any need at this point for the advanced features of Telo and I DO want the full caller-ID without paying for premiere, but I also assumed that if I later decide I want a Telo (I was not thinking 30 days, more like several months or over a year) when I purchase a smart phone or start using google voice that I could upgrade without owing the regulatory fees and would also get the voicemail, etc as part of the package deal.

Also, as far as grandfathering people in, does anyone know if existing Core users will get the FULL caller-ID feature if they upgrade to Telo but do not pay for Premiere? Or will they get only the basic ID with phone # and not the name that the basic Telo users will receive?
#24651 by Dennis P
Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:22 pm
We have suspended transfer of accounts from Hub to Telo if the account is less than 31 days old for the reasons mentioned above. If you recently purchased a Hub and would rather get the Telo, you should be within your return policy on your purchase. If you want the Hub ToS but Telo hardware, then we'll be happy to transfer your account after it's been activate for 31 days.
#24652 by Dennis P
Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:25 pm
fahdandemily wrote:Can someone from Ooma please clarify what EXACTLY happens to people who activate a core after 10/1/09 and choose to upgrade to Telo at some point? The blog post from Oct 2nd doesn't separately address upgrading pre/post 10/1/09, I would love if someone could confirm whether this TOS grandfathering issue for those activating a hub after 10/1/09 is true.

Yes, it doesn't matter whether you activated your Ooma Core Hub system before or after 10/1, you get the old TOS, and you can later transfer your account to Telo (as long as you've been a customer for 31 days or more).

fahdandemily wrote:Also, as far as grandfathering people in, does anyone know if existing Core users will get the FULL caller-ID feature if they upgrade to Telo but do not pay for Premiere? Or will they get only the basic ID with phone # and not the name that the basic Telo users will receive?

If you've transferred your Ooma Core account over to Telo, you'll get Caller-ID with name.