Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#50998 by southsound
Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:31 pm
pumatz wrote: And now, of course, it will be interesting to find out if anyone will answer this one question in a reasonable, intelligent way, without people whom I do not know, do not want to know, and am not speaking to in the first place, chiming in with childish, sarcastic silliness.

I assume you missed the fact that this is a USER forum and many of the people who have been responding to you responded to the original thread five months ago. If you had read some of the moderator posts referenced, you would know that ooma has no intention of limiting your residential use or even home business use, unless that home business is a boiler room doing phone solicitation.

One thing you have accomplished with your first and later posts - you have manage to offend many "people whom I do not know, do not want to know, and am not speaking to in the first place, chiming in with childish, sarcastic silliness."

We are fellow users. You know, the ones who frequent this forum and help many other people with technical problems and sophisiticated installations. Now that you have insulted three of the top four posters (WayneDSR, BW1, southsound) and one of our brightest network people (tommies) I hope your system works forever. I would hate to think you would have to ask help from "people whom I do not know, do not want to know, and am not speaking to in the first place. :P
#51116 by MikeekiM
Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:56 am
pumatz wrote:Perhaps I was a little bit complicated in my earlier post. The one point that has not been sufficiently addressed is: when a company says unlimited and then says there is a limit, some people may be able to see a contradiction there. Apparently, others either cannot see the one, and only one, simple point, or are not able to concentrate long enough on one, and only one, simple point in an adult fashion without becoming childish and sarcastic and attacking someone personally---and still not addressing the one, and only one, simple point. I politely asked that could we not engage in childish sarcasm, and that appears to be in vain.

So, here it is, real simple. When a company says no limit and then says there is a limit, one of those statements is a lie. Please don't attack me personally because I am merely pointing out a very simple fact that is right before us. I did not attack anyone else, and I would greatly appreciate it if everyone else would afford me the same common courtesy.

Now, here is a much more complicated subject, so get ready, here it comes...

Since there is a limit, does that apply to all US calls, outgoing US calls only, incoming US calls only, Ooma to Ooma calls, or any combination of the before mentioned possibilities?

As with the first point, there is no need to try to explain why the limit applies to one instance, or any combination of instances, I am only asking if there is a limit, exactly how do those minutes add up so that I can make sure I do not go over the limit. It's not that hard. There is no reason to make a big deal out of this, I am only asking one question now, since I obviously cannot get a simple answer for the original point without immature people saying silly things.

And now, of course, it will be interesting to find out if anyone will answer this one question in a reasonable, intelligent way, without people whom I do not know, do not want to know, and am not speaking to in the first place, chiming in with childish, sarcastic silliness.

There are a bunch of great people here that come here without any compensation to help answer questions... While you may find some to be childish and sarcastic, most of us are here to help... southsound, bw1, Groundhound, WayneDSR and many others are fantastic resources... I am sure that you ask your question in this way because you've experienced some bad/childish responses...I understand that...but be careful to color everyone with the same paint brush... Your only two posts in...enjoy the forum and take advantage of the knowledge here...and simply ignore the ones that upset you...

In any case, back on topic... There is definitely a difference between marketing and contractual Ts and Cs... We see it every day...

Rich Buchanan (from marketing) put out this very clear article on the intention of Ooma to delivery unlimited phone service to its users:

https://www.ooma.com/blog/oomas-unlimited-phone-service/

If you read this, you will find that the intent is to provide the equivalent of unlimited domestic long distance calling to 99% of it's users... But they have put some caps in place to protect themselves (and it's users) from people that abuse the system... And unfortunately, you need to set thresholds to detect whether an abuse is happening or not...

I am probably one of those users that will test the 5,000 minute boundary, because I legitimately work at home... Ooma has stated that if you go over the 5,000 minute boundary and it is clear that you are not abusing the system, that they will not shut you down... The 5,000 minute limit is really just a trigger point for them to look at the situation...not an automatic shut-down limit...

At this point, I am trusting them at their word...it will be interesting what happens when/if I go over the limit with my work at home situation... For now though...I am not worried about it...
#51154 by lbmofo
Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:26 pm
Not sure why this is a big deal since 5,000 mins seems to be a popular measuring stick for "residential" use.

Qwest Home Phone Unlimited

"Unlimited Nationwide Long Distance Service - Cannot be used for business or Internet access. Usage may be monitored and customer may be required to show compliance if usage exceeds 5,000 minutes/mo. or non-compliance indicated."

Verizon VoiceWing done it too.

"Usage must be consistent with normal residential use for one household. Verizon reserves the right to monitor usage for possible abuse of service. For packages with unlimited calling, more than 5,000 minutes a month is considered beyond normal residential use and may be investigated, resulting in potential termination of service. "

And these other guys charge.....a lot at that too!