Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#50891 by pumatz
Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:58 am
It seems the defenders are missing the point. 5000 minutes is huge. That is not the point. They don't want it used for telemarketers. That is not the point. Taxing the system and the finances involved. That is not the point. The one and only point is they advertise in the public arena unlimited calling in the US. In legal documents you can define terms in any way you want. But in the general public the common definitions of terms must be used.

Unlimited means no limits. I was using voip with Orbitel which had no limits. There is at least one voip that is unlimited. I had it. The underlying point of this discussion is that by saying unlimited with a 5000 minute limit is saying it is not unlimited.

The sarcastic, patronizing sentences like don't be Perry Mason, or read before you sign, are not helping here and, in fact, are rather insulting. Please don't do that. No one is looking to inflict harm on the company. No one is trying to get money. It is merely being stated by myself and others that unlimited means unlimited and a 5000 minute limit means a limit. I was hoping that it was simply a mistake but, since someone in the company defended it, that means it's intentional and at the very least that's misleading.

Even so, with the clarification there was no mention of the 5000 minutes being all calls, outgoing only, incoming only, and/or Ooma to Ooma calls, so it really didn't clarify the subject to me since I have read several different explanations.

One of the main reasons I decided to buy 3 Ooma boxes is the unlimited calls. The large limit probably means that I will never have to worry about it, but mentioning the actual limit that is actually there--in the advertisements--instead of saying it is not there would give me more confidence in the integrity of the company.

Besides that, I am very happy with the Ooma boxes I have bought, and the people in sales and customer service I have spoken with. There was that one problem in February with the opt in/out of premier but that seems to have been corrected. I'm a happy camper overall. I'm just kinda surprised that so many people seem to have missed what appears to me to be a very simple point.
#50894 by southsound
Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:35 am
So let me get this straight - you have three ooma systems and are happy - but you feel a burning need to make your first post to revive a thread that is 5 months old and has been beaten to death. In the course of the thread we have had confirmation of policy by ooma moderators. So what is the point of your post? I normally say welcome to the forums and to ooma but I think I'll reserve that for a later date.
#50896 by WayneDsr
Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:46 am
I noticed some 3g networks, Cricket, for example advertise UNLIMITED 3G Internet access.
"Just buy a Cricket Broadband modem and you get all the blogs, videos and music downloads you want."

But the fine print says limited to 5 gig a month.

I've been looking for unlimited 3g, but even though they advertise unlimited, they all are limited.

Wayne
#50907 by lbmofo
Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:11 pm
Smiff wrote:I purchased an OOMA Core several week back based on OOMA's advertising of "Free Home Phone Service" "Call anywhere in the US with no monthly fees" and "includes . . . voicemail."

Unfortunately, I did not activate prior to OOMA's unannounced change in its terms and conditions and now I understand that none of these advertisements appearing on my OOMA Core box are true. This is extremely disappointing. OOMA should have provided some advance notice of the change or grandfathered in purchases of the OOMA Core.

Come on OOMA, honor you statements on the OOMA core box for customers who purchased prior to the change in the terms and conditions.

You may have been misinformed:

Check this out: announcement from ooma
#50914 by tommies
Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:15 pm
I got a email from comcast few day ago, and they said that my accout is cap at 250GB/month for data transfer (download+upload.)

The day of unlimited [stuffs] is over. I just wonder when will the marketing dept. will catch up with this.
#50922 by MakoCSH
Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:39 pm
pumatz wrote:It seems the defenders are missing the point. 5000 minutes is huge. That is not the point. They don't want it used for telemarketers. That is not the point. Taxing the system and the finances involved. That is not the point. The one and only point is they advertise in the public arena unlimited calling in the US. In legal documents you can define terms in any way you want. But in the general public the common definitions of terms must be used.

Unlimited means no limits. I was using voip with Orbitel which had no limits. There is at least one voip that is unlimited. I had it. The underlying point of this discussion is that by saying unlimited with a 5000 minute limit is saying it is not unlimited.

The sarcastic, patronizing sentences like don't be Perry Mason, or read before you sign, are not helping here and, in fact, are rather insulting. Please don't do that. No one is looking to inflict harm on the company. No one is trying to get money. It is merely being stated by myself and others that unlimited means unlimited and a 5000 minute limit means a limit. I was hoping that it was simply a mistake but, since someone in the company defended it, that means it's intentional and at the very least that's misleading.

Even so, with the clarification there was no mention of the 5000 minutes being all calls, outgoing only, incoming only, and/or Ooma to Ooma calls, so it really didn't clarify the subject to me since I have read several different explanations.

One of the main reasons I decided to buy 3 Ooma boxes is the unlimited calls. The large limit probably means that I will never have to worry about it, but mentioning the actual limit that is actually there--in the advertisements--instead of saying it is not there would give me more confidence in the integrity of the company.

Besides that, I am very happy with the Ooma boxes I have bought, and the people in sales and customer service I have spoken with. There was that one problem in February with the opt in/out of premier but that seems to have been corrected. I'm a happy camper overall. I'm just kinda surprised that so many people seem to have missed what appears to me to be a very simple point.

You must have a lot of time on your hands to sit around and worry about this stuff. Much less write a treatise on how unlimited is actually limited. The 5000 minute limit is for telemarketers who willfully abuse the system. If this wasn't in place the telemarketers would have a field day, and the Ooma servers would be so busy nobody could make calls. Don't worry, if you go over 5000 minutes now and then an Ooma rep won't show up at your door asking for the core back.

Posts like this make my head hurt.
#50928 by pumatz
Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:33 pm
Perhaps I was a little bit complicated in my earlier post. The one point that has not been sufficiently addressed is: when a company says unlimited and then says there is a limit, some people may be able to see a contradiction there. Apparently, others either cannot see the one, and only one, simple point, or are not able to concentrate long enough on one, and only one, simple point in an adult fashion without becoming childish and sarcastic and attacking someone personally---and still not addressing the one, and only one, simple point. I politely asked that could we not engage in childish sarcasm, and that appears to be in vain.

So, here it is, real simple. When a company says no limit and then says there is a limit, one of those statements is a lie. Please don't attack me personally because I am merely pointing out a very simple fact that is right before us. I did not attack anyone else, and I would greatly appreciate it if everyone else would afford me the same common courtesy.

Now, here is a much more complicated subject, so get ready, here it comes...

Since there is a limit, does that apply to all US calls, outgoing US calls only, incoming US calls only, Ooma to Ooma calls, or any combination of the before mentioned possibilities?

As with the first point, there is no need to try to explain why the limit applies to one instance, or any combination of instances, I am only asking if there is a limit, exactly how do those minutes add up so that I can make sure I do not go over the limit. It's not that hard. There is no reason to make a big deal out of this, I am only asking one question now, since I obviously cannot get a simple answer for the original point without immature people saying silly things.

And now, of course, it will be interesting to find out if anyone will answer this one question in a reasonable, intelligent way, without people whom I do not know, do not want to know, and am not speaking to in the first place, chiming in with childish, sarcastic silliness.
#50930 by bw1
Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:52 pm
Did you read any of the links provided?

Here you go: https://www.ooma.com/blog/2009/10/08/oom ... e-service/

First, and most importantly, our product offers unlimited residential phone service. Period. No limit on minutes, no hidden fees, no “bait and switch”. Here’s the big “but” in the definition of unlimited. We designed this service as a home phone or residential system and have consistently promoted it this way. We do not want, and cannot afford, to have businesses begin to utilize the service consuming a huge volume of call traffic and driving our monthly call termination charges through the roof.

Are you using it for residential service? If so then you have nothing to worry about. If not, then you need to find a different service or be willing to pay $39.99 per month for Ooma's business service.

Related to the 5000 minutes, here's the info from the TOS:
Lack of continuous conversation, unusual calling patterns, excessive caller and calling destinations and/or excessive usage (e.g. 5,000 minutes per base unit per month or more) will be considered as indicators that your use of the Equipment may be inconsistent with normal residential usage.

I've read it before that the 5,000 minutes refers to out-going calls, which would make sense as those calls would require call termination charges to Ooma. Incoming calls and Ooma to Ooma calls, do not result in additional charges to Ooma as far as I know. But I don't think that there was any official word on this. I've also read that you can't get multiple hubs to get around the 5000 minute limit.

As others have said, if you're using Ooma for residential service, you don't need to worry about it.
#50980 by lbmofo
Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:26 pm
lbmofo wrote:
Smiff wrote:I purchased an OOMA Core several week back based on OOMA's advertising of "Free Home Phone Service" "Call anywhere in the US with no monthly fees" and "includes . . . voicemail."

Unfortunately, I did not activate prior to OOMA's unannounced change in its terms and conditions and now I understand that none of these advertisements appearing on my OOMA Core box are true. This is extremely disappointing. OOMA should have provided some advance notice of the change or grandfathered in purchases of the OOMA Core.

Come on OOMA, honor you statements on the OOMA core box for customers who purchased prior to the change in the terms and conditions.

You may have been misinformed:

Check this out: announcement from ooma

Wow! Weirdest thing, when I replied to this original poster yesterday, it seemed new and I didn't even see the post that bumped this 5 month old thread.