Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#23374 by chuckda4th
Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:58 am
Aveamantium wrote:There is not an "unlimited" plan out there that doesn't have a cap representative of "normal" use. This is almost always burried in the TOS, so yes it is a good idea to "read" before you "agree". If you don't "agree" with the TOS then you can return the item. :idea:

Awesome...I love making an extra trip to the post office because a company's website is misleading.
#23376 by niknak
Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:00 pm
as has been posted here before the 3000 (or 5000) min. per month is only a "guideline" and is inserted in the T&C so that ooma has recourse if users decided to run call centers. no residential user has ever been punished for going over the 3000 min per month limit although it will trigger a look at your call records
#23379 by chuckda4th
Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:04 pm
http://www.amazon.com/ooma-Phone-System ... 576&sr=8-1

Somebody show me on Amazon's page where it says anything about a # of minutes cap. People are ordering this box because it is understood that you're getting an unlimited calling plan. There's not even a link in the product description to the magical Terms of Service that completely change everyone's expectations.

Absolutely, 100%, deceptive advertising.
#23380 by Groundhound
Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:05 pm
chuckda4th wrote: I understand I'll probably never get close to 5,000 minutes, ...

This is a protection against telemarketers that providers of residential, "unlimited", domestic LD service routinely put in their T&C. Without that protection their cost of operation would be adversely affected by phone scammers, and that would have a negative impact on the rest of us who, like you, aren't going to exceed the limit for home use.
#23383 by chuckda4th
Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:09 pm
Groundhound wrote:
chuckda4th wrote: I understand I'll probably never get close to 5,000 minutes, ...

This is a protection against telemarketers that providers of residential, "unlimited", domestic LD service routinely put in their T&C. Without that protection their cost of operation would be adversely affected by phone scammers, and that would have a negative impact on the rest of us who, like you, aren't going to exceed the limit for home use.

I understand the purpose of it, I'm just arguing that it is very deceptive, and if a company is this deceptive of something as basic as this, what's to stop them from 3 months from now dropping the number to 500 minutes and actually enforcing it?
#23389 by niknak
Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:11 pm
...Somebody show me on Amazon's page where it says anything about a # of minutes cap...

Amazon is only the retailer, once you had the unit you would've been expected to read and understand the T&C as outlined on the product's website (and on the printed copy included in the box)
Having done that, if you did not agree to the minutes cap you were free to return the unit
#23390 by chuckda4th
Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:11 pm
Aveamantium wrote:The TOS is also posted on the website... You could also do some research before you buy.

Do you research EVERYTHING you buy? When you buy a laptop from Amazon, do you go to the manufacturer's website just to make sure you're not only limited to using the laptop for 3000 minutes a month? There is an expectation that when something says "Free calling in the U.S. with no monthly fees or contracts" there is no cap.
#23391 by niknak
Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:15 pm
.. I'm just arguing that it is very deceptive..

it's not deceptive the T&C are printed in black & white on the website and on the paperwork in the box. Don't call the company deceptive if you did not take the time to read and understand everything before hand
#23392 by Aveamantium
Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:15 pm
chuckda4th wrote:
Aveamantium wrote:The TOS is also posted on the website... You could also do some research before you buy.

Do you research EVERYTHING you buy? When you buy a laptop from Amazon, do you go to the manufacturer's website just to make sure you're not only limited to using the laptop for 3000 minutes a month? There is an expectation that when something says "Free calling in the U.S. with no monthly fees or contracts" there is no cap.

Call me paranoid, but yes I do... :shock: