Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#23266 by chuckda4th
Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:33 am
I received an email last night about some new terms and conditions and am a bit confused...

The top bullet states:

• We've increased your minutes of residential, domestic calling to 5,000 minutes per month

I've had an Ooma Hub for about 6 months now and purchased it almost solely because there was no monthly limit for calling and the one-time-fee version was all I needed (the premier features are nice, I just don't need them).

How is moving from unlimited minutes to 5000 minutes an increase?

Also...when looking on the products pages, I see nothing referring to any monthly minute limit. If this limit exists, this is very questionable advertising, Ooma. I understand I'll probably never get close to 5,000 minutes, but simply stating "Free US Calling - Call anyone, anywhere in the U.S. with no monthly fees" and not saying that its limited to 5,000 minutes is very shady.
#23271 by Big Boy Laroux
Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:40 am
You can probably find it somewhere in the forum, but there actually was a 3000 minute limit in the old T&C. It was put in place to prevent obvious telemarketers from using ooma. From what i've heard, they've never actually canceled a home user for going over 3000.

But it has been an issue just like you said. 5000 minutes (or 3000 as in old T&C) is NOT unlimited. False advertising. But it is what it is.
#23277 by chuckda4th
Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:51 am
Yeah...a non-issue I'm sure, just definitely questionable advertising. If they don't flat out say "unlimited" when we signed up, what's to stop them from saying "400 minutes a month unless you buy premier" a year from now?
#23359 by niknak
Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:42 am
chuckda4th wrote:Yeah...a non-issue I'm sure, just definitely questionable advertising. If they don't flat out say "unlimited" when we signed up, what's to stop them from saying "400 minutes a month unless you buy premier" a year from now?

The old 3000 minutes per month limit is clearly stated in the "terms and conditions" that you read and agreed to before signing up
#23366 by chuckda4th
Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:52 am
niknak wrote:
chuckda4th wrote:Yeah...a non-issue I'm sure, just definitely questionable advertising. If they don't flat out say "unlimited" when we signed up, what's to stop them from saying "400 minutes a month unless you buy premier" a year from now?

The old 3000 minutes per month limit is clearly stated in the "terms and conditions" that you read and agreed to before signing up

Of course I read it. Just like I'm sure everyone else did.

//end sarcasm

That's something that should be plainly stated on the website.
#23369 by niknak
Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:53 am
..That's something that should be plainly stated on the website..

it was posted on the website under the "legal" link

i certainly read all the terms and conditions before signing up
Last edited by niknak on Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
#23370 by chuckda4th
Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:54 am
chuckda4th wrote:
niknak wrote:

Of course I read it. Just like I'm sure everyone else did.

//end sarcasm

That's something that should be plainly stated on the website.

Also...even if I was one of those people who read the terms and conditions...I would have never seen them until AFTER I ordered a $200 box.
#23372 by Aveamantium
Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:57 am
There is not an "unlimited" plan out there that doesn't have a cap representative of "normal" use. This is almost always burried in the TOS, so yes it is a good idea to "read" before you "agree". If you don't "agree" with the TOS then you can return the item. :idea:
#23373 by chuckda4th
Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:57 am
niknak wrote:i certainly read all the terms and conditions before signing up

So there's absolutely nothing wrong with Ford advertising "$200 trucks!" on their website, then you order it and see that the terms state you can only drive the truck within a mile of your house? They shouldn't be responsible to state this fact on the exact same page they say "unlimited calling"? I'm sorry, but this is definitely questionable advertising.