New Ooma Terms and Conditions

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
chuckda4th
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:29 am

New Ooma Terms and Conditions

Post by chuckda4th » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:33 am

I received an email last night about some new terms and conditions and am a bit confused...

The top bullet states:

• We've increased your minutes of residential, domestic calling to 5,000 minutes per month

I've had an Ooma Hub for about 6 months now and purchased it almost solely because there was no monthly limit for calling and the one-time-fee version was all I needed (the premier features are nice, I just don't need them).

How is moving from unlimited minutes to 5000 minutes an increase?


Also...when looking on the products pages, I see nothing referring to any monthly minute limit. If this limit exists, this is very questionable advertising, Ooma. I understand I'll probably never get close to 5,000 minutes, but simply stating "Free US Calling - Call anyone, anywhere in the U.S. with no monthly fees" and not saying that its limited to 5,000 minutes is very shady.

Big Boy Laroux
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:34 pm

Re: New Ooma Terms and Conditions

Post by Big Boy Laroux » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:40 am

You can probably find it somewhere in the forum, but there actually was a 3000 minute limit in the old T&C. It was put in place to prevent obvious telemarketers from using ooma. From what i've heard, they've never actually canceled a home user for going over 3000.

But it has been an issue just like you said. 5000 minutes (or 3000 as in old T&C) is NOT unlimited. False advertising. But it is what it is.

Big Boy Laroux
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:34 pm

Re: New Ooma Terms and Conditions

Post by Big Boy Laroux » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:42 am

Here's a good thread on it.

The limit only applies to outgoing calls.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=522

chuckda4th
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:29 am

Re: New Ooma Terms and Conditions

Post by chuckda4th » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:51 am

Yeah...a non-issue I'm sure, just definitely questionable advertising. If they don't flat out say "unlimited" when we signed up, what's to stop them from saying "400 minutes a month unless you buy premier" a year from now?

niknak
Posts: 885
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:53 pm
Location: Staten Island, NY

Re: New Ooma Terms and Conditions

Post by niknak » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:42 am

chuckda4th wrote:Yeah...a non-issue I'm sure, just definitely questionable advertising. If they don't flat out say "unlimited" when we signed up, what's to stop them from saying "400 minutes a month unless you buy premier" a year from now?
The old 3000 minutes per month limit is clearly stated in the "terms and conditions" that you read and agreed to before signing up

chuckda4th
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:29 am

Re: New Ooma Terms and Conditions

Post by chuckda4th » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:52 am

niknak wrote:
chuckda4th wrote:Yeah...a non-issue I'm sure, just definitely questionable advertising. If they don't flat out say "unlimited" when we signed up, what's to stop them from saying "400 minutes a month unless you buy premier" a year from now?
The old 3000 minutes per month limit is clearly stated in the "terms and conditions" that you read and agreed to before signing up
Of course I read it. Just like I'm sure everyone else did.

//end sarcasm

That's something that should be plainly stated on the website.

niknak
Posts: 885
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:53 pm
Location: Staten Island, NY

Re: New Ooma Terms and Conditions

Post by niknak » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:53 am

..That's something that should be plainly stated on the website..
it was posted on the website under the "legal" link

i certainly read all the terms and conditions before signing up
Last edited by niknak on Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

chuckda4th
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:29 am

Re: New Ooma Terms and Conditions

Post by chuckda4th » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:54 am

chuckda4th wrote:
niknak wrote:
chuckda4th wrote:Yeah...a non-issue I'm sure, just definitely questionable advertising. If they don't flat out say "unlimited" when we signed up, what's to stop them from saying "400 minutes a month unless you buy premier" a year from now?
The old 3000 minutes per month limit is clearly stated in the "terms and conditions" that you read and agreed to before signing up
Of course I read it. Just like I'm sure everyone else did.

//end sarcasm

That's something that should be plainly stated on the website.
Also...even if I was one of those people who read the terms and conditions...I would have never seen them until AFTER I ordered a $200 box.

User avatar
Aveamantium
Posts: 1352
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:28 pm
Location: Loveland, Colorado

Re: New Ooma Terms and Conditions

Post by Aveamantium » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:57 am

There is not an "unlimited" plan out there that doesn't have a cap representative of "normal" use. This is almost always burried in the TOS, so yes it is a good idea to "read" before you "agree". If you don't "agree" with the TOS then you can return the item. :idea:
Go AVS!

chuckda4th
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:29 am

Re: New Ooma Terms and Conditions

Post by chuckda4th » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:57 am

niknak wrote:i certainly read all the terms and conditions before signing up
So there's absolutely nothing wrong with Ford advertising "$200 trucks!" on their website, then you order it and see that the terms state you can only drive the truck within a mile of your house? They shouldn't be responsible to state this fact on the exact same page they say "unlimited calling"? I'm sorry, but this is definitely questionable advertising.

Post Reply