Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#26207 by hpepper
Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:06 pm
thinking_about_ooma wrote:I am not an OOMA user and never have been, but have been considering. I am interested in what is being called "OOMA Core" service in this thread - i.e. I want to buy the device up front and not pay a recurring cost for dial tone or voice mail, other than the $12 per year regulatory recovery thing. Is there an option for me to get OOMA core service at this point (free voice mail) by buying an OOMA Hub or Telo, either new or used? Or, is that option just not available anymore for potential new customers? If so, it is likely a deal breaker for me, especially since it appears that a plain old answering machine can not be used with either the Hub or Telo yet.

If you can find the older Ooma Hub and Scout model, which is still being sold at some stores, Ooma will uphold their end if the box says it comes with voicemail, which is included in the CORE service for that model.
#26208 by niknak
Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:07 pm
...Is there an option for me to get OOMA core service at this point (free voice mail) by buying an OOMA Hub or Telo, either new or used?...

ooma will honor the terms on the box when you buy a hub,,,if you want free VM you need to buy the Hub ot Hub/Scout combo since the Telo does not include VM in the Core Services.. not sure about the TOS that apply when buying a used hub
there is a 60$ activation fee on a used hub
#26223 by Leeway
Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:18 pm
niknak wrote:
...Is there an option for me to get OOMA core service at this point (free voice mail) by buying an OOMA Hub or Telo, either new or used?...

ooma will honor the terms on the box when you buy a hub,,,if you want free VM you need to buy the Hub ot Hub/Scout combo since the Telo does not include VM in the Core Services.. not sure about the TOS that apply when buying a used hub
there is a 60$ activation fee on a used hub

Interesting thought niknak. I have been wondering the same thing. For example: I still have my ooma hub box in all of its glory. I think maybe ooma should have clarified "the terms on the box". I'm giving mine to a son but if I sold it then the new owner would have the box with my old hub terms. Ooma should restate or elaborate on that area in the TOS.

:?
#26228 by Leeway
Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:27 pm
Aveamantium wrote:I thought Dennis said that if a Hub is reactivated that it would be downgraded to the basic tier, similar to the Telo?

Yes, I remember him saying that too. My only point is that it very well be clarified in My Ooma or else it is going to lead to yet another can of madness. It is not kind to say that ooma will honor what is written on the box. They need to add "unless the box came with a used/resold ooma hub"

People see and believe what they want to - we know that !! ;) I'm only trying to think ahead and save arguments and anger.
#26229 by Aveamantium
Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:29 pm
Leeway wrote:
Aveamantium wrote:I thought Dennis said that if a Hub is reactivated that it would be downgraded to the basic tier, similar to the Telo?

Yes, I remember him saying that too. My only point is that it very well be clarified in My Ooma or else it is going to lead to yet another can of madness. It is not kind to say that ooma will honor what is written on the box. They need to add "unless the box came with a used/resold ooma hub"

People see and believe what they want to - we know that !! ;) I'm only trying to think ahead and save arguments and anger.

Agreed!!!
#26230 by niknak
Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:30 pm
..ooma will honor the terms on the box when you buy a hub...

yes, I recall that as well, original TOS only applies to original owner / activation
resale/reactivation will be at the basic service level
#26427 by thinking_about_ooma
Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:44 am
So I guess I'd better buy one of the original Hubs brand new soon so that I can get the "Core" service - free voicemail. Can the OOMA moderator confirm that if I buy a Hub brand new that the free voicemail applies?

Other than Amazon (they show in stock there) where can I fine a Hub? BestBuy or Costco still carrying them?
#26429 by murphy
Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:48 am
Newegg.com and Radio Shack online show them in stock.

Also shows as available for purchase on the Ooma web site.