Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#23470 by Dennis P
Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:37 pm
If an account has been transferred off a Hub to a Telo, the original Hub can be re-activated for the $59 fee (payable upon activation). This turns on Ooma Basic service (no voicemail) and the user get a new phone number and 60-day trial of Ooma Premier. All Ooma Basic accounts are subject to the regulatory recovery fee.
#23655 by scottlindner
Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:59 am
Dennis P wrote:
WayneDsr wrote:I know it's all a bit confusing right now, but I think for a new Telo customer, after the 60 day Premier trial is over and you don't purchase, you get NO voicemail. I hope I'm wrong, but I think this is correct. It is a new tier level, Telo Basic.

Wayne

This is correct. Telo comes with a different service level, Ooma Basic, which does not include voicemail. If you want voicemail, it is included in Ooma Premier. We will also offer it a la carte at $4.99/month or $49.99/year. The a la carte option also includes other voicemail options such as voicemail forwarding, call screening, send-to-voicemail and do not disturb.

For existing Ooma customers upgrading to Ooma Telo, you can "move" your current service level over to the new hardware. So if you have Ooma Core now, you'll have Ooma Core on your Telo.

I know I'm in the minority, but I really like this model. When everyone cools down from the $20/yr price increase for Premier, I think they'll realize Ooma is still the best deal around. What I'm really curious about, but you cannot answer, is when the Telo price will start dropping. You lowered the production costs. Eventually, you can drop the purchase price. No answer required, but when that happens Ooma will look even more attractive.

Scott
#23656 by hpepper
Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:16 am
scottlindner wrote:I know I'm in the minority, but I really like this model. When everyone cools down from the $20/yr price increase for Premier, I think they'll realize Ooma is still the best deal around. What I'm really curious about, but you cannot answer, is when the Telo price will start dropping. You lowered the production costs. Eventually, you can drop the purchase price. No answer required, but when that happens Ooma will look even more attractive.

Scott

I kind of agree with Scott. If there could be a drop in the original purchase price of $20 or more, it would seem to offset the $20 increase. Then Ooma would still see increases in revenue in the longterm - more dollars coming in year after year.
#23706 by dlong
Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:53 am
No way is Ooma capable of lowering the entry fee price of the hardware. By raising the premier cost, there will be fewer premier "subscribers" to make the "profit" margins. Really, I think Ooma shot their foot on the price increase. Time will tell, won't it?
#23716 by hpepper
Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:30 am
In the end, I have to agree with dlong - time will tell.

I know we have also seen a lot of questions on the forums, "what if they raise prices again soon?" Well, by the same token, if this new model isn't working for them they can lower prices too. As a matter of fact, they did a last minute change that helps the consumer. I forget what it was... need to search for it...
#23740 by Biblico
Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:43 am
I'm happy to hear that as a first adaptor to Ooma, my "Ooma Core" service will not downgrade to "Ooma Basic" whenever I decide to upgrade my Hub to a Telo.

My only concern with the new terms is that many new customers will not want to hop on board without having voicemail. That must have been a very difficult business decision to make. However, I'm guessing that management concluded that new customers would compromise not having voicemail with simply getting an answering machine.
#23743 by murphy
Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:50 am
There have been a lot of customers complaining about not being able to turn off the voice mail. Now they have a way to not have voice mail.
#23748 by Groundhound
Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:59 am
WayneDsr wrote:You could buy a Telo, get free dial tone and get a free Google Voice number and have free enhanced voicemail.
It's a win win.

Wayne

That's really a good way to look at the basic plan. A really cheap way to provide what GV doesn't, high quality dial tone. Used together GV and Ooma basic are a pretty powerful solution.