Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#24950 by murphy
Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:26 am
When I was a kid a first class stamp cost 3 cents and mail was delivered twice a day.
Gasoline was 27 cents a gallon.
A movie ticket cost 25 cents.
My first job paid 40 cents an hour.

$100 or $120 a year for Ooma sure beats paying Vonage $564 a year for the same service (2 lines).
#24952 by MikeekiM
Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:40 am
Yea... At the end of the day, Ooma is making a pricing proposition... And you need to make a decision if it is a proposition you want to accept, or decline... When Ooma (or any company) makes a price increase, they do so to increase revenue with the risk of customer attrition as a result... Hopefully, their analysis demonstrates that the price increase is big enough to keep them financially healthy, but not so high that it increases customer attrition...

As the previous poster mentions, this is cheaper than Vonage... But it's more expensive than Magic Jack... But each have their different value propositions...

For those that bought recently, the $20 increase in premier was a bit of a shock...that the price adjustment happened so quickly after making the purchase decision... But I think Ooma made good by adjusting their pricing to allow current users to take advantage of the original $99/year price, and for a reasonable amount of prepaid time...

Over the last week, I think Ooma has shown a lot of flexibility in listening to their customers and adjusting to make things fair... The one confusing part that you do bring up though is that the original communication did talk about "grandfathering" in the $99 price to existing premier customers... Based on the recent announcements, it does not look like Ooma is ready to delivery against that promise... Sounds like with all the recent changes, they went back to their excel spreadsheets and determined that this is not in their best interest...

Overall, I applaud how Ooma has handled this situation over the last week...
#24974 by southsound
Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:41 am
murphy wrote:When I was a kid a first class stamp cost 3 cents and mail was delivered twice a day.
Gasoline was 27 cents a gallon.
A movie ticket cost 25 cents.
My first job paid 40 cents an hour.

$100 or $120 a year for Ooma sure beats paying Vonage $564 a year for the same service (2 lines).

I think you forgot to mention that milk came in glass bottles and was delivered to your home. If you were quick and got to it before mom shook the bottle you could pour off cream from the top for your cereal. Good to see that I'm not alone in the "greying of VOIP customers." I wonder if ooma might want to initiate a "senior discount" for people like us. Heck, even lifetime could be cheaper for obvious reasons. :P
#24981 by hackerguy
Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:54 am
$100 or $120 a year for Ooma sure beats paying Vonage $564 a year for the same service (2 lines).[/quote]
I think you forgot to mention that milk came in glass bottles and was delivered to your home. If you were quick and got to it before mom shook the bottle you could pour off cream from the top for your cereal. Good to see that I'm not alone in the "greying of VOIP customers." I wonder if ooma might want to initiate a "senior discount" for people like us. Heck, even lifetime could be cheaper for obvious reasons. :P[/quote]

I am all for that. We seniors have to stick together.

Hackerguy
#24982 by ggilman
Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:01 am
southsound wrote:I think you forgot to mention that milk came in glass bottles and was delivered to your home. If you were quick and got to it before mom shook the bottle you could pour off cream from the top for your cereal.

Where I grew up it came in a cow and was already warm. If I didn't get up early enough to get it, the cow would be quite upset.
#25017 by Leeway
Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:56 pm
I disagree that the price has not gone up by 20.00. Before now we had no regulatory fee. Now, I sure do understand why they need to charge for that but.....

Take 99.00 and add 19.00 PLUS the 12.00 (all rounded) and what do you have?

An increase plus an increase
#25024 by southsound
Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:32 pm
Or we could take the $99.00 and add $19.00 PLUS the $12.00 (all rounded) and make a down payment on one of those cows that ggilman was talking about. Warm milk and one of Wayne's walnut brownies would help me to sleep better! :P
#25167 by bigbobo
Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:26 am
My problem w pricing is this. I dont' like to buy (even if I make good money) without making sure the product is going to be good for ME. It was based on all the info recieved from Ooma and sales person. I understand that prices change. Maybe it is bad timing. Bought core three weeks ago. Based on my use of Ooma I'm going to take back unit. If you thinks its a good price then keep it! Now getting back to what problem I have w Ooma (not the price of milk). Was the price increase because they had to include fees that were past on to them? As have mentioned maybe I don't understand. It seem to me there is a lot of confusion why they raised the price. I spent the time getting info,time to buy and set up and reg. I have made a 3 calls and then get an email they are raising the price with out at clear explaination. Even though they did'nt say the yearly price would not change, My understanding was it was going to stay. If a few years went by and thing changed and then they changed the price(understandable). the email says We've grandfathered existing Ooma Premier annual subscribers at the previous rate of $99.99. New annual subscriptions will be priced at $119.99 what does that mean? My feelings are Ooma planed to to price Premier Cheap and then to increase the price after they seen the product was selling well.
#25202 by niknak
Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:55 am
...We've grandfathered existing Ooma Premier annual subscribers at the previous rate of $99.99. New annual subscriptions will be priced at $119.99 what does that mean?...

you purchased your hub 3 weeks ago so you are covered by the old T&C
You have until 12/31/09 to purchase premier service at a cost of $99, after that time the cost is $119
you can also purchase more than 1 year's service at $99 as long as it is all done by 12/31/09

PS - the difference in cost per year from old plan to new plan amounts to about 5 cents a day
#25219 by Big Boy Laroux
Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:31 pm
Ooma has every right to raise their prices. I feel they are doing the right thing now by extending the date to get premier for $99.99 to 12/31 for ooma core users. I was initially upset because the price change appeared to be taking place that very day that the T&C was announced. But now they have been much better at communicating changes.

I think they'll do a lot more thinking about wording/details the next time they have a major announcement to make.