Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#23279 by ikko
Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:02 am
Hi

How do I check if my status is ooma existing customer or not ?
My ooma hub and scot were gotten from costco.com. And currently my account is under ooma premier trial.
Then when I logged in ooma today, my all voicemail section is under premier service.
My account already cannot get voicemail after expiring premier, right ?
#23303 by thausman
Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:05 am
I really think ooma needs to rethink their pricing. For current customers that are on the trial of premier, they should be able to have the $99 year subscription. They were not notified about the increase at all. You call their support number and of course there is no billing, so technical support answers. The say they cannot do anything about it. If you are on the premier trial, why would I pay the annual subscription up front. I would want to make sure that I have got my free 6 months prior to starting to pay the annual fee. I'm not too happy they increased the pricing and they didn't take the time to notify their current core subscribers prior to the increase. I say they allow all current core subscribers the option to upgrade for the previous annual price of $99.
Last edited by thausman on Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
#23305 by tobey717
Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:21 am
Somebody was obviously up late at Ooma working to push this email this morning. This is a lot of changes all at once don't you think?

I'm not sure if i'm 100% confident letting friends & family know about Ooma
#23308 by SGP
Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:46 am
I got an Ooma system at Costco some time ago. It comes with a subscription to Premier. Now my subscription is near to expire and Ooma want to apply the new price to me. Ooma did not send an email giving the option to renew BEFORE the increase of price. Looks like the marketing departments catch you in trick like: we did not tell you before, you were not a subscriber and now you have an increase of price. :?
#23325 by dr150
Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:26 am
This company is getting scammy by the minute.

FIRST......the Costco hidden expiry debacle.

NOW.......they play around with pricing AFFECTING people in different ways.

I can foresee lawsuits/negative PR/lost customers on the way IF they DO NOT HONOR their original marketing commitments, to the letter, for older users.

BAD ON YA OOMA! REALLY BAD!!....
#23345 by MarkSly
Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:31 am
dr150 wrote:This company is getting scammy by the minute.

FIRST......the Costco hidden expiry debacle.

NOW.......they play around with pricing AFFECTING people in different ways.

I can foresee lawsuits/negative PR/lost customers on the way IF they DO NOT HONOR their original marketing commitments, to the letter, for older users.

BAD ON YA OOMA! REALLY BAD!!....

Hey, don't get worked up... from what I've been reading, nothing will be changing for older users; only new clients (like me, unfortunately).

My understanding is that even the $11.75/year fee will not be required from existing hub/scout owners. Not bad, getting a free ride on your 911 service. I knew that this fee was coming, but I'm OK paying it because I can't justify getting 911 service at no cost when a bulk of the funds for 911 come from phone taxes.

-MarkSly

P.S. I'll still be switching to Ooma, 'cause even if I decide I need the Premier or the $4.99 voicemail service, it's still way cheaper than any other option, including the 8x8 VoIP service I have now.
#23351 by Big Boy Laroux
Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:02 am
Having voicemail as a $4.99 option is BETTER, but still a tough sell for people that would expect voicemail as a basic feature in today's VOIP world.

In the long run, this change DOES affect current users. I said it earlier in this thread - if these changes cause less people to actually buy ooma, then they go under and all we have is a nice looking brick attached to our modems.

Yes, i know it is still a good deal, but we live in a world where people would rather pay month-to-month than drop down a one-time fee, even if it's cheaper in the long run.
#23358 by timeshifter
Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:39 am
Can anyone say "bait and switch"?

So I buy the ooma hub and scout combo back in August because I read that for $99 / year I can get Premier service. I install, activate and sign up and am give a 60 day free trial. Now the time comes and I want to pay the $99 I was told it was going to cost. "I'm sorry, your price is $119"!

I called the tech support number and they confirmed that there was no way to get it for $99.

That's downright wrong.

Yesterday I was a huge ooma fan. Now I think they're a bunch of scamming bastards. My work involves helping residential and small business users with their computers and other technology. I *will not* be recommending ooma to anyone I know.

I can forgive and be a fan again if they do the right thing and honor their original deal that was offered to me.
#23360 by Groundhound
Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:46 am
timeshifter wrote:Can anyone say "bait and switch"?

So I buy the ooma hub and scout combo back in August because I read that for $99 / year I can get Premier service. I install, activate and sign up and am give a 60 day free trial. Now the time comes and I want to pay the $99 I was told it was going to cost. "I'm sorry, your price is $119"!

I called the tech support number and they confirmed that there was no way to get it for $99.

That's downright wrong.

Yesterday I was a huge ooma fan. Now I think they're a bunch of scamming bastards. My work involves helping residential and small business users with their computers and other technology. I *will not* be recommending ooma to anyone I know.

I can forgive and be a fan again if they do the right thing and honor their original deal that was offered to me.

Your disappointment is understandable, but you didn't have to wait to the end of your trial to subscribe to Premier, they would have appended your subscription for 12 months to the end of your trial at any time. They did not agree to hold prices for a service you had not subscribed to for some point in the future.
#23362 by southsound
Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:48 am
Reminds me of a MasterCard ad - (please forgive my liberty with the items)

Upgrade to DSL from Dialup - $29.00
One time ooma purchase - $249.00
Porting old number - $39.99
Good will because I got what I thought I was buying - PRICELESS

I think this will get sorted out in a very fair way in short order - but I am sad for all the ill will it has bought ooma. They really are a great company and the products are stellar. I want them to succeed and am sure they will - but it is all about making the right business decisions and realizing their impact on something that money cannot buy - Customer Loyalty.

Give them a little while to realize the impact of their new TOS. I'll bet we see a modification soon. Just MHO. :cool: