Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#23027 by bw1
Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:17 pm
mezzy316 wrote:
bw1 wrote:
mezzy316 wrote:The way I read it, the features that will be excluded with Ooma Basic (CID Name, Voice Mail, Phone Support) will still be included for "existing customers". It also says that "existing customers" won't have to pay the $11.75 fee. Is that correct, Bobby B?

As someone that just started with Ooma, I would be extremely upset if those features that were promised to me when I signed up were suddenly taken away.

Which product did you purchase, the Ooma Core with hub/scout or Ooma hub only from Costco B&M? I assume you didn't get the Telo.

I purchased the Ooma Core hub/scout combo from Amazon.

Then you should be an existing customer and the $11.75 fee won't apply and you should get the Ooma Core features instead of Ooma Basic, unless of course, you sign up for Premier.

I think there's still some confusion if someone purchases an Ooma Core hub/scout combo that is still in stock in the coming weeks. Are they considered an existing customer?
#23028 by Big Boy Laroux
Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:19 pm
Then the next question is:

if I currently have an ooma hub/scout system, and then next year decide i want an ooma Telo and buy one, do i lose voicemail if i don't upgrade to ooma premier?

i'm guessing yes... If so, not much incentive for current ooma core customers to upgrade their system.
#23034 by southsound
Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:45 pm
OK, this is really not a rant and most all of you know that I love ooma. That said, I hope that the marketing folks can come up with a nice way to say, "If you buy this device and don't purchase voicemail from us you will not be able to use the remote message pickup that has been a part of every answering machine made in the last 20 years because our hardware will not pass industry standard signalling called DTMF." Full disclosure on the box will be critical. I know that some (including myself) don't really care about voicemail because they use something like Google Voice as a front end, but many will want to use their existing DECT 6.0 phone/integrated answering machine with the basic hub instead of upgrading to Premier.

I'm usually pretty positive and not too bad at wordsmithing - but I still think it will put ooma at a real disadvantage to other products that have more functionality out of the box.
#23039 by Big Boy Laroux
Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:02 pm
Doesn't the telo (the only device affected by the "not having free voicemail in basic package" rule mentioned above) support inbound DTMF? I thought it was just the Core Hub that didn't. I swear i read that somewhere.
#23040 by bw1
Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:06 pm
Big Boy Laroux wrote:Doesn't the telo (the only device affected by the "not having free voicemail in basic package" rule mentioned above) support inbound DTMF? I thought it was just the Core Hub that didn't. I swear i read that somewhere.

Not yet, but it will:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2642&p=22734&hilit=DTMF#p22734

Bobby B wrote:Right now, inbound DTMF doesn't work on the Hub due to a limitation with a proprietary hardware component/driver.

We are planning to support inbound DTMF on the Ooma Telo, since the device is not limited by this proprietary component.
#23041 by southsound
Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:08 pm
Big Boy Laroux wrote:Doesn't the telo (the only device affected by the "not having free voicemail in basic package" rule mentioned above) support inbound DTMF? I thought it was just the Core Hub that didn't. I swear i read that somewhere.

BW1 is correct. But the hub will still be available for some time and may be the device of choice for some applications. If you need a second wired line now or in the future, the hub can be paired with a scout to provide that capability. If you purchase the hub/scout core unit and pay 4.99 a month for a virtual number, you can have each line on a separate device - allowing you to use it with a wired multiline phone. In my case, I have a barn that is farther away than a DECT 6 phone will work, so the wired option is important.
#23042 by Big Boy Laroux
Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:13 pm
Right, so we may need even more clarification from what Bobby B posted above. He said "look at your box and you will see the features that are free". Well, what about the ooma hubs that are currently sitting on shelves and are available through amazon? I'd have to look at my hub/scout box again, but don't those say "Free voicemail"? And if so, will those devices truly have free voicemail, even if they are purchased after today?
#23043 by bw1
Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:18 pm
southsound wrote:

BW1 is correct. But the hub will still be available for some time and may be the device of choice for some applications. If you need a second wired line now or in the future, the hub can be paired with a scout to provide that capability. If you purchase the hub/scout core unit and pay 4.99 a month for a virtual number, you can have each line on a separate device - allowing you to use it with a wired multiline phone. In my case, I have a barn that is farther away than a DECT 6 phone will work, so the wired option is important.

I'm thinking the Ooma Core hub/scout combo will still have the Ooma Core features for those that purchase it as long as it's available. The Ooma Core features includes basic voicemail. That's what it states on the box of the Ooma Core hub/scout combo.
#23046 by tbm_0929
Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:20 pm
The answer is no. I spoke with the Ooma Customer Service Rep (CSR) today Oct 1st. The reason for my decision to procure a Telo was based on the differences between it and the Ooma Core Hub, but also the price change that went into effect Sept 30th, which justified taking advantage of every available option. Since I purchased and registered the Ooma Core Hub w/ scout yesterday Sept 30th. I contacted Ooma to discuss procurement of the Telo and transferring my phone number and setting information. Of course the information can be transferred but Ooma had no means of direct distribution, therefore I must return the Ooma Hub to Best Buy and purchase the Telo. Not a problem, I am well within the return policy time period for both Ooma and Best Buy. After returning the Ooma Hub and procuring the Telo, I contacted Ooma Customer Support, who opened a support request. The unfortunate reality is that now I can not use either. The Ooma Hub is on Best Buys shelves with my information associated. The Telo is un-configured, and unplugged on my desk waiting for an Ooma CSR to transfer the information in the next 24 to 48hrs. That’s what I get for being greedy. Be careful with your upgrades.

~Tim
#23056 by niknak
Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:44 pm
...he said "look at your box and you will see the features that are free ...

oh, ok so my hub and scout purchased last February will remail free for life with CID and Voicemail?