Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#1128 by cmti
Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:34 am
Did anyone port a # from Vonage services ? If so, any issues.
#1151 by Bobby B
Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:42 pm
Hi cmti - many other customers have successfully ported their number away from vonage. The only issue that I have seen with ported vonage numbers is that they can be slow to update their phone number databases immediately after a number transfer completes.

This can cause call reachability issues if other *vonage* callers try to call your ooma system. Calls from other phone networks go through OK. Vonage typically resolves the problem in a couple business days.
#1555 by bmex63
Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:57 pm
Hi Cmti,

I recently ported my number from Vonage and it went really well. However, there are a couple things that should be noted. First, I had a dedicated fax number with Vonage. In order to port the number over it had to be used as the main number. As a result, I decided to only port my main number and not my fax number. Not a big deal, but still something that that should be noted.

Do not cancel your Vonage service until you receive an e-mail from Ooma confirming that the port was successful and instructing you to cancel your service. When you do call Vonage they will do their best to keep you as a customer. My rep offered my three months of free service, ha. The rep will also notify you of your length with Vonage. Apparently my agreement with Vonage was for two years. I think this was because I signed up with them and received the free device.

If you cancel before you two year agreement they will have to charge you a $39.99 cancellation fee. It's another annoying fee that will confirm your reason for leaving in the first place.

I am very pleased with my switch to ooma. Call quality has been very good. However, it was interesting, my call quality with the Vonage service rep was horrible. The call kept crackling and coming in/out. I haven't had this experience with anyone else, ha.

All in all, it was a good experience. Ooma support was great and called me directly concerning my port. I highly recommend switching from Vonage. Feel free to ask any questions if I didn't cover all bases.
#3047 by ooma1113
Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:09 am
I just spoke with support (ooma) the other day and have signed up for premier giving me the free port from vonage. Now all I have to do is wait the three to four weeks and hopefully I will be rid of my monthly bill from vonage. I am looking forward to a long relationship with ooma.
#3049 by mountnbykr
Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:43 am
I had no problems porting from Vonage, just took a while. My vonage account was automatically cancelled when they received the port request from Ooma and they automatically charged me the $39 disconnect fee.
#3065 by ooma1113
Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:29 pm
Wow I'll be very happy if they cancel my account after the number is ported. That will save me from hearing the please stay sales pitch I've read about elsewhere. My fingers are crossed for a seamless end to my relation with Vonage and a happy start to the Ooma experience! Actually my Ooma experience has already started and I am pleased so far.