Referrals

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
kuhurdler
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:05 am

Referrals

Post by kuhurdler » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:07 am

I'd like to suggest we as members get some kind of referral credit for signing up friends. Maybe 3 months free of premier or something like that?

hpepper
Posts: 752
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:29 am
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Re: Referrals

Post by hpepper » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:46 am

Ooma has refer-a-friend going on in conjunction with certain Costco locations until the end of this month.

https://www.ooma.com/buy/referral.php

chuenl
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:34 pm

Re: Referrals

Post by chuenl » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:24 pm

I bought several ooma devices from Costco for friends and family. The problem is that none of Costco stores in my surrounding area carries the ooma device. That forces me to buy from Costco.com and ooma refuses to give me any referral bonus if I didn't buy them from physical Costco stores. What a bunch of marketing craps!

niknak
Posts: 885
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:53 pm
Location: Staten Island, NY

Re: Referrals

Post by niknak » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:13 pm

chuenl wrote:I bought several ooma devices from Costco for friends and family. The problem is that none of Costco stores in my surrounding area carries the ooma device. That forces me to buy from Costco.com and ooma refuses to give me any referral bonus if I didn't buy them from physical Costco stores. What a bunch of marketing craps!
referrals wrote:Refer your friends to any of these 100 Costco locations to purchase an ooma Hub at $199.99 before Wednesday, September 30th, 2009"
The wording is pretty clear that you must buy the devices from one of the listed locations...don't complain because you did not follow the directions on the website

chuenl
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:34 pm

Re: Referrals

Post by chuenl » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:40 pm

You don't think I would blindly choose the only 3 stores that don't carry the device, do you?

Of course, those 100 listed locations includes all the Costco stores in the U.S. Oh yeah, it just happened that the 3 Costco stores that are few miles from my home don't carry the ooma device. I called them every few months for the item # and they looked up in the computer and told me they don't carry it. This is your brilliant marketing at work here!

niknak wrote:The wording is pretty clear that you must buy the devices from one of the listed locations...don't complain because you did not follow the directions on the website

niknak
Posts: 885
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:53 pm
Location: Staten Island, NY

Re: Referrals

Post by niknak » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:56 pm

...I called them every few months for the item # and they looked up in the computer and told me they don't carry it...
that's because those locations were not on the list of "select costco locations" specified in the promotion

chuenl
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:34 pm

Re: Referrals

Post by chuenl » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:09 pm

Believe me, I am not making this up. Call them up to test my findings.

From the 100 locations, these are the 3 stores that I called:

1. 8629 120TH AVENUE N.E., KIRKLAND, WA 98033, (425) 827-1693
2. 1801 10TH AVE. N.W., ISSAQUAH, WA 98027, (425) 313-0965
3. 400 COSTCO DRIVE, TUKWILA, WA 98188, (206) 575-9191

All of them don't carry the ooma device.

niknak wrote: that's because those locations were not on the list of "select costco locations" specified in the promotion

niknak
Posts: 885
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:53 pm
Location: Staten Island, NY

Re: Referrals

Post by niknak » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:30 pm

[quote="chuenl"]Believe me, I am not making this up. Call them up to test my findings.

From the 100 locations, these are the 3 stores that I called:

1. 8629 120TH AVENUE N.E., KIRKLAND, WA 98033, (425) 827-1693
2. 1801 10TH AVE. N.W., ISSAQUAH, WA 98027, (425) 313-0965
3. 400 COSTCO DRIVE, TUKWILA, WA 98188, (206) 575-9191

All of them don't carry the ooma device.


If the stores were on the list in the ad, you should have taken it up with the store manager, not went ahead and purchased them on your own and then expect costco/ooma to honor something not in the terms of the promotion. No one forced you to buy the oomas on line -you chose to do so

PS - I agree with your point, the items should have been available, but don't complain and try to make your own rules when you did not follow or understand the terms of the promotional offer

inrame
Posts: 354
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:58 am
Location: Mouse-House, Florida

Re: Referrals

Post by inrame » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:38 am

chuenl wrote:I bought several ooma devices from Costco for friends and family. The problem is that none of Costco stores in my surrounding area carries the ooma device. That forces me to buy from Costco.com and ooma refuses to give me any referral bonus if I didn't buy them from physical Costco stores. What a bunch of marketing craps!
if i had to guess, what is going on here, is that costco has given the approval to test market the product on a wider scale. they picked 100 stores for the test (i'm sure there is actually a reason why each of the 100 stores were picked). if the test is successful, the product will be rolled out to more and more stores and on a more permanent basis; if it is not, the marketing strategy will be revised or the product pulled.

Ooma, doing a smart thing, is offering a promotion to (1) hopefully increase in-store purchase that wouldn't ordinarily occur without the promo (2) get people who wouldn't ordinarily buy the product through the store to go in and buy it there. The goal of both of these is to increase in-store sales so that costco will keep the product and roll it out to more and more stores.

costco only sells things that move at a very high volume and the product isn't going to make it there unless large volumes can be sold in each store (we're talking pallets of product per store). when and if, demand drops, the product will get pulled. it makes sense to offer a special promotion for a retailer with such high volume per store. costco has different needs for products than an office supply store that might be fine with only selling a few a month in each store.

so, when purchasing the product online, sure they are happy to take the money, but the value, and reason for the promotion is to drive in-store sales, not web sales. as a side benefit when you call your local costco and ask them to carry a product their other stores are carrying, that is a positive too!

their actual strategy and motivation is speculation on my part since i don't work for them (there can be many other reasons as well), but i disagree with the comment about it being "marketing crap"; it appears to be sound retail/promotion marketing which is performed by many companies with many products every day. the offer was clear and specific and the purchase was not made within the terms of the offer.

niknak
Posts: 885
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:53 pm
Location: Staten Island, NY

Re: Referrals

Post by niknak » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:55 pm

...the offer was clear and specific and the purchase was not made within the terms of the offer...
Thank you

Post Reply