Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#20096 by maao
Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:29 am
I'd like to suggest a small/flat hub-only device that can fit inside whole-house distribution hubs (no more than 1" thick). It would have 2 network jacks, 3 RJ-11 jacks, and a small power brick (one that doesn't buzz like the current hub's). The 3 RJ-11 jacks would work as landline line in, line out for scouts, and pass-through line out for POTS. I guess the pass-through would be unnecessary if the hub passed through the landline calls directly when not running in Landline mode. Currently, I have to call forward my landline to my OOMA number. The hub should just forward the landline calls to the phone. I don't want to be in landline mode that requires an unlimited local calling if I only need metered landline for backup.

The reason for this device would be so that I won't have to put a device on my desk or table somewhere, with at least 3 cables cluttering the desk. The power, internet, and phone wall plates has to be clustered or there's a big/long cable mess. For those of us that have whole house distribution centers, it's better just to stick a hub in there, and have the phones just plugged into the wall plates directly. Phones plugged directly into the wallplate would be registered with the main hub's line, while phones plugged into scouts could be addressed separately. Or create a 2" hub with a built-in 8 port gigabit switch and 8 port RJ11 switch.

It would also be nice if the standard hub could be switched into scout mode so that if you do make this hub-only device, I won't have a useless standard hub.
#20570 by tao
Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:05 pm
maao wrote:I'd like to suggest a small/flat hub-only device that can fit inside whole-house distribution hubs (no more than 1" thick). It would have 2 network jacks, 3 RJ-11 jacks, and a small power brick (one that doesn't buzz like the current hub's)....

I didn't hear any buzzing sound on mine...
I like it the way it is ... keeping the power brick separate keeps the unit from overheating!

Maybe the new Telo hub will have an internal power supply!

PS: the hub uses only 5 watts idle!