Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#19414 by jm9496
Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:55 am
I am currently using premiere service and found that the
Blacklists currently in beta have so far nearly eliminated all telemarketing and other worthless calls I use to get (we'll see if that remains true on the next major election year). Like spam, these were more than half of the calls I got, and actually probably closer to three fourths.

Blacklists are currently in beta and so everyone can use it. However, if my incoming calls were reduced by such a large number when using this, why make it a premier service? it cuts the number of incoming calls I get down by around 75%. Wouldn't the network savings from not originating all of these unwanted calls cover the marginal cost to provide it to all ooma customers? After all, assuming there is some sort of statistical methods used, the more people using it, the better the quality of the community lists.
#19415 by hpepper
Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:13 am
While I agree, it would be a nice feature as part of the basic package, it would seem to me that the calls still come into Ooma and they then block it at their data center... thinking that maybe it really wouldn't reduce that much traffic by letting it go through the VPN connection we all have from hub to Ooma servers.

Just my guess... could be wrong.
#19434 by bw1
Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:06 pm
jm9496 wrote:Blacklists are currently in beta and so everyone can use it.

Even though it's beta, I believe that it's still only available to Premier subscribers.

jm9496 wrote:However, if my incoming calls were reduced by such a large number when using this, why make it a premier service? it cuts the number of incoming calls I get down by around 75%. Wouldn't the network savings from not originating all of these unwanted calls cover the marginal cost to provide it to all ooma customers? After all, assuming there is some sort of statistical methods used, the more people using it, the better the quality of the community lists.

As I understand it, VoIP service providers (including Ooma) pay a termination fee of 0.2 to 0.5 cents per minute for call termination to the PSTN for outgoing calls. Incoming calls don't have the same costs and they may even be able to collect a termination fee. I would think they would already have to pay any other network costs for incoming calls regardless if it's blocked to your hub or not.

So, if they're able to collect termination fees on incoming calls, I guess basic users should be glad they're not giving out your number to telemarketers. :)
#20753 by lizalewis
Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:55 am
I just renewed Premier - the 6 months we got with the purchase from Costco is just about and eliminating the telemarketing calls is worth the price - However I have gotten calls from #s that are not 800 #s - probably someone calling using VIOP - so I answer the first time - then block