Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#19175 by jm9496
Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:11 pm
There are quite a few numbers out there that don't have a CNAM entry or a bad CNAM entry that doesn't say the actual name of a person or company.

So the feature request is this: users should be able to update a community caller name list to complement the CNAM list. After receving a call from, for example, when I get a call from 888-932-7007, the name is "800 service." I should be able to then be able to go online and summit an update to the community name list for this number. e.g.: 888-932-7007 = "American Cancer Society." Then the next person who gets a call from 888-932-7007 will be given the caller name from the community call list, "American Cancer Society" (if he has enabled this feature). If I screwed up, users can vote the name off the list or correct it.
#19180 by murphy
Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:42 am
Every modern phone that I own has this capability built in to it.

For some unknown (to me) reason companies that used to show the correct caller ID info now report "800 Service". I program the number into the phone with the correct name and when the phone matches the phone number it displays the name I programmed into the phone instead of what came in on caller ID.
#19274 by jm9496
Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:27 pm
murphy wrote:Every modern phone that I own has this capability built in to it.

For some unknown (to me) reason companies that used to show the correct caller ID info now report "800 Service". I program the number into the phone with the correct name and when the phone matches the phone number it displays the name I programmed into the phone instead of what came in on caller ID.

I think you missed the point, or I did not explain it well enough.

The idea is that when you enter a name in the community caller id name database, then everyone benifits from that. I.e.,
(1) you get a call from an "800 service" <800-555-2342>, for example
(2) You answer and find out that this is actually the red cross
(3) you add 800-555-2342 (or whatever it is) to the community database as "red cross"
(4) 800-555-2342 calls me and my caller ID now shows "red cross" <800-555-2342> because you already added it to the community database.

surly you can see the benefit.... the name database gets updated with information as we edit it.

naturally, one would use basic statistical methods to ensure names are correct such as a name sits in the database for a long time is assumed correct.