Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#18776 by wjcarpenter
Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:23 pm
Call logs are pretty cool. Any ideas yet how long the log can grow to be, in terms of days or number of entries or whatever?

A couple of suggestions for features:

1. An option to permanently delete a given entry from the call logs. ("Oops. I don't want her to know I called her mom today.")
  2. An option to not ever log calls to and/or from a given number. ("Oops. I don't want her to know I call her mom every day.")
  3. A "star code" to use before dialing out so that a specific call is not logged. ("Oops. I don't want ooma to know I'm calling a mafia informant.")
  4. Default "name" stuff for outgoing calls to the "name" data seen on an incoming call for the same number. In other words, if I have already got an incoming call logged with "name" data, take that as the value to show for an outgoing call to that number.
  5. An option to supply or override "name" data for an incoming number. It would then apply to both incoming and outgoing call logs. It would be OK if it only applied to future calls, but applying to existing entries would be desirable. (Sometimes the phone company's idea of good "name" data is kind of fishy. My first name in the phone book is "William", but my caller ID name is "willi". Also, my cell phone callerId is "Cellular PA"; beats me.)
  6. Optional periodic email summary of call log data.

By the way, for #5 above (replacing callerID "name" data), it would be even cooler if ooma made that change on the fly for incoming calls so that I got that replaced "name" data in the callerID screen on my phone. Oooh, sweet!
#18778 by thbjr
Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:35 pm
Any ideas yet how long the log can grow to be, in terms of days or number of entries or whatever?

The call log auto deletes at 60 days. No limit as to how many are in the log.
#36912 by oomg
Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:47 am
wjcarpenter wrote:Call logs are pretty cool. Any ideas yet how long the log can grow to be, in terms of days or number of entries or whatever?

A couple of suggestions for features:

1. An option to permanently delete a given entry from the call logs. ("Oops. I don't want her to know I called her mom today.")
  2. An option to not ever log calls to and/or from a given number. ("Oops. I don't want her to know I call her mom every day.")
  3. A "star code" to use before dialing out so that a specific call is not logged. ("Oops. I don't want ooma to know I'm calling a mafia informant.")
  4. Default "name" stuff for outgoing calls to the "name" data seen on an incoming call for the same number. In other words, if I have already got an incoming call logged with "name" data, take that as the value to show for an outgoing call to that number.
  5. An option to supply or override "name" data for an incoming number. It would then apply to both incoming and outgoing call logs. It would be OK if it only applied to future calls, but applying to existing entries would be desirable. (Sometimes the phone company's idea of good "name" data is kind of fishy. My first name in the phone book is "William", but my caller ID name is "willi". Also, my cell phone callerId is "Cellular PA"; beats me.)
  6. Optional periodic email summary of call log data.

By the way, for #5 above (replacing callerID "name" data), it would be even cooler if ooma made that change on the fly for incoming calls so that I got that replaced "name" data in the callerID screen on my phone. Oooh, sweet!

For the most part, your suggestions defeat the purpose of a call log; i.e. to provide an accurate summary of every call made, received, or missed. I do like the last one... "Optional periodic email summary of call log data."
#36915 by Mike-o-Matic
Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:56 am
>> 6. Optional periodic email summary of call log data.

Yeah, that last one's definitely a winner. I was just about to suggest it in a new thread myself! (thanks, search function!!)

Operational/design suggestion:
To reduce and/or spread out the load on your infrastructure, have these call log emails...

(1) Be optional, and require that you opt-in to receive them. Many folks may not want 'em anyway.
(2) Generate and send them monthly, possibly on a date of the user's choosing, with the initial default being the day-of-month that you activated. In other words, if I activated on the 9th of August, I'd get mine every month on the 9th.

Whatcha think, ooma folks?
#36917 by oomg
Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:18 am
Mike-o-Matic wrote:>> 6. Optional periodic email summary of call log data.

Yeah, that last one's definitely a winner. I was just about to suggest it in a new thread myself! (thanks, search function!!)

Operational/design suggestion:
To reduce and/or spread out the load on your infrastructure, have these call log emails...

(1) Be optional, and require that you opt-in to receive them. Many folks may not want 'em anyway.
(2) Generate and send them monthly, possibly on a date of the user's choosing, with the initial default being the day-of-month that you activated. In other words, if I activated on the 9th of August, I'd get mine every month on the 9th.

Whatcha think, ooma folks?

I would prefer that they be sent on the first day of the month. I see no reason why they need to be sent monthly... they could be sent bi-monthly, or even quarterly. But as an example, on the first day of each month, send the entire call log for the prior month, or alternatively, set the automatic delete to 63 days and on the first day of every second month, send the entire log for the prior two months.
#36920 by murphy
Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:32 am
Call log entries are automatically deleted after 60 days.
You can download the call log any time that you want.